Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate lock with key

laeli

laeli

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
The usual dilemma: is it the van or is it me?

First of all, I have a key with just lock/unlock buttons, no dedicated tailgate button (T5 2007).
Single locking click locks all doors with a deadlock and that works well (cannot open doors from inside). So far so good.
A double locking click should lock all doors without the deadlock; this is true for driver/passenger/sliding door. However the tailgate unlocks and can be opened from outside.

Is this a normal behavior? If so please tell me why. But I doubt as there’s nothing on the manual about this.
Assuming it’s an issue: has anybody experienced the same and how did you fix it?

Note: locking with central button on driver’s door locks everything without deadlock, but in this case the tailgate stays locked.

Note2: I can also lock/unlock the tailgate normally by inserting the key.

Thank you.
Elisa

The usual dilemma: is it the van or is it me?

First of all, I have a key with just lock/unlock buttons, no dedicated tailgate button (T5 2007).
Single locking click locks all doors with a deadlock and that works well (cannot open doors from inside). So far so good.
A double locking click should lock all doors without the deadlock; this is true for driver/passenger/sliding door. However the tailgate unlocks and can be opened from outside.

Is this a normal behavior? If so please tell me why. But I doubt as there’s nothing on the manual about this.
Assuming it’s an issue: has anybody experienced the same and how did you fix it?

Note: locking with central button on driver’s door locks everything without deadlock, but in this case the tailgate stays locked.

Note2: I can also lock/unlock the tailgate normally by inserting the key.

Thank you.
Elisa
I don’t think that’s normal Elisa. If I double press the locking button on my key, I can’t open any doors including the tailgate from outside. Think you need to get this looked at to avoid the obvious risk of theft.

Is this a normal behavior?
This is the behaviour on mine.

Once its locked on the button with the key, its all
locked and the red Led flashes by the drivers door.

When i open it with the button on the key, all doors are unlocked.

Although depending how the rear door lock is positioned it works
differently.

IMG_0982.JPG
When mine is in the horizontal position - like above - all of the doors open
but the tail gate remains locked.

So i always have it in the vertical position, i can also deadlock the van with that
rear lock and the red Led flashes by the drivers door.
IMG_0983.JPG
The last pic is where its always at.

Thank you @westfalia, I have the same positions and behaviors with the key but that is not concerning.
My issue is that the tailgate is re-opening at the second click of the lock button on the key, while I think it should stay locked, like all other doors do.
I am afraid I might accidentally press twice and then leave the van with the tailgate unlocked...

I don’t think that’s normal Elisa. If I double press the locking button on my key, I can’t open any doors including the tailgate from outside. Think you need to get this looked at to avoid the obvious risk of theft.
Thank you, it’s good to know it’s not meant to behave like mine. I’ll have it checked.

Back