Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Repair

TrevorH

TrevorH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Unfortunately had a minor rear end shunt inflicted on my Cali Beach which has creased lowest part of tailgate. Annoying but these things happen .
Suspect Bodyshop will say new tailgate is required - not a major problem insofar as other party’s insurance will cover. However, assuming that this is the case are there any particular Cali specific issues that I need to be aware of ?Tailgate fittings ( chairs, blind, internal lights etc) are clearly not standard Transporter so this gets me thinking that I shall need to carefully brief even a VW approved outfit. Any experience out there ? Also any bodyshop recommendations - I’m in Cambridge.

You may be shocked at the cost of repairing VW-approved parts whole new tailgate rather than new skin due.
No issue when we had ours done.

Thanks Andy.

looking at pics on your thread your damage was much worse than mine but I am sure you are correct in saying that a new tailgate will be required despite this . Good to hear that you were satisfied with repair at a VW approved centre .
Going to get quote tomorrow and steeling myself but trusting my insurer (NFU) won’t quibble.Regards

Unfortunately had a minor rear end shunt inflicted on my Cali Beach which has creased lowest part of tailgate. Annoying but these things happen .
Suspect Bodyshop will say new tailgate is required - not a major problem insofar as other party’s insurance will cover. However, assuming that this is the case are there any particular Cali specific issues that I need to be aware of ?Tailgate fittings ( chairs, blind, internal lights etc) are clearly not standard Transporter so this gets me thinking that I shall need to carefully brief even a VW approved outfit. Any experience out there ? Also any bodyshop recommendations - I’m in Cambridge.
I had a small crease in the tailgate.
I popped it out by pulling on the handle.
But you could still
See the crease.
LV were great, sent to VW Cov and new tailgate for £3k
All covered on insurance. Dec 2020
No other damage.
And it was a California Ocean, two tone White / bronze.
No issue with anything behind or bumper etc

I had a small crease in the tailgate.
I popped it out by pulling on the handle.
But you could still
See the crease.
LV were great, sent to VW Cov and new tailgate for £3k
All covered on insurance. Dec 2020
No other damage.
And it was a California Ocean, two tone White / bronze.
No issue with anything behind or bumper etc
Thanks Bill - a lot for a small crease but not surprised. Assume all tailgate fittings were simply carried over?

Thanks Bill - a lot for a small crease but not surprised. Assume all tailgate fittings were simply carried over?
Correct, although the plastic inside trim cheesed me off one night whilst sleeping downstairs.
You could see where there had forced out the trim and banged it in, as the grommet hole places were stress fractured.
I rang VW Cov, no issue, they ordered a new one, I did the 95 mile round trip and they fitted it while I waited. Excellent service.
Oh, this is my 6 month old brand new 4Motion getting a full new lacquer. Free from VW Commercial customer service….
As the scratch’s from Eurovans were unacceptable.
Unbelievable issues on a brand new bonnet they found from factory finish.
They really are ramping down production !
IMG_6987.jpegIMG_6988.jpegIMG_6989.jpeg

Correct, although the plastic inside trim cheesed me off one night whilst sleeping downstairs.
You could see where there had forced out the trim and banged it in, as the grommet hole places were stress fractured.
I rang VW Cov, no issue, they ordered a new one, I did the 95 mile round trip and they fitted it while I waited. Excellent service.
Oh, this is my 6 month old brand new 4Motion getting a full new lacquer. Free from VW Commercial customer service….
As the scratch’s from Eurovans were unacceptable.
Unbelievable issues on a brand new bonnet they found from factory finish.
They really are ramping down production !
View attachment 110125View attachment 110126View attachment 110127
Thanks Bill .looks like they are really going for it on the Laquering! I’ve now been to nearest VW body shop and they do seem pretty clued in.

BTW I had been thinking about ordering a run out T6.1 and had been in touch with Listers about this since they are one of the Cali Centres in my wider area ( I don’t have a local one) . Sounds you have had a good experience of them, although not your supplier?

Thanks Bill .looks like they are really going for it on the Laquering! I’ve now been to nearest VW body shop and they do seem pretty clued in.

BTW I had been thinking about ordering a run out T6.1 and had been in touch with Listers about this since they are one of the Cali Centres in my wider area ( I don’t have a local one) . Sounds you have had a good experience of them, although not your supplier?
Correct.
I bought from DTD, with 9% discount.
Supplying dealer was Eurovans, 3 hour drive away.
5 hours on train.
But to save £9K, well worth it.
Had the last of the 4M 6.1 and very happy.

Back