Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damage to tailgate and door release mechanism

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
Mine is working fine, no problem I'm pleased to say. But a few weeks ago I met a guy who had had a difficult experience.

His Cali had sustained very minor rear end damage. Minimal damage, but - it broke or dislodged some connecting rod from the tailgate handle to the lock mechanism.

Normally on a T5, not too much of a problem - there is an internal release which means the tailgate can be opened and repaired.

But not on the Cali - because of the seat store in the tailgate and the rear shelf making access even to that very difficult.

In the end, I gather the dealer had to cut through the shelf, and the seat store, to release the tailgate, to fit a small new part costing about £2. Total cost of work around £1000.

Can anyone think of a way round this, in the event of minor damage or the rod (which I think pushes down on the release mechanism at the bottom of the door - harder to improvise something than if it pulled up) or just the rod becoming disconnected??

Any technical / improvising wizards on here??

Reversing even more carefully than before from now on . . . . .

Lewis

Fully comp insurance!!

True - but not much help if you are on a trip and can't get into the boot . . .

I'm sure there must be a way round it . . . .

You can gain some access by pulling the seat all the way forward. You can also lift the rear shelf.

Interesting problem though. Hopefully not one I will experience. Especially if my beer is in the boot...

Have done two of these now. One where someone had driven into the back of one and another where the locking rods had come adrift. Both times we had to cut through most of what is on the tailgate to be able to release it. No other way around it unfortunately.

At full retail I would estimate it should cost no more than £700 to do this.

thanks

Beer in Fridge, yes. But it is only 44l where do I put the rest? :D

Thanks Alex - yes, I guessed that was the position. Thanks for clarification.

Accident damage likely to be claimable on insurance - but disconnected rods out of warranty would be annoying!!

Am I right in thinking, Alex, that the exterior handle mechanism pushes down on the actual release at the bottom of the tailgate, rather than pulls up??

No rush for a reply - I am away for 10 days anyway - and reversing carefully!!

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

Been a while since we last did one to be honest and off the top of my head cannot remember, think the rod pulls up though. Will have a look next time we have one apart.

Cheers

Further thoughts on this . . .

Some people might think it is a trivial issue, but I regularly tow a 1 tonne trailer, which needs backing up to the hitch - and we have all misjudged it some time or another, as I guess the guy I met did - and if the mechanism failed after expiry of warranty I would be well choked off at a £700 + bill to repair it. My van is now out of warranty!!

My brother and I dismantled the tailgate last week. Fiddly, but not too difficult - 2 people preferable, some components although not heavy are large and awkward. As noted before, there is no way in to the mechanism at all when the rear shelf and chair packaging etc is in position.

The tailgate release handle initially pushes down, then a pivot pulls the actual release up. The mechanism comprises a ball joint and plastic clip - surprisingly flimsy seeing that access is so difficult.

My preference would have been to install a line / cord coming up into the boot area, but there was no feasible way we could see to get the clear run to do this. In the event, we ran a cord out through the bottom, taped to underside of tailgate and concealed in bike rack (mine is a Thule bike rack, going down to the bottom of the tailgate). We also strengthened the balljoint retaining clip - I suspect this is what failed / was dislodged with the guy I met. I can now find a way of getting into the boot in the event of damage / failure - security unaffected as locks not changed. Cord pretty well invisible.

My view is that this should be looked at by VW, and some form of release installed - not necessarily easy to get to, but at least possible. Some lever around the level of the shelf cushion would be OK.

This would reduce the cost of warranty claims, so in VW interests, as well as making life a lot easier if a problem / damage arises on a long tour.

Lewis

Good information. The one I have seen from damage had had a hefty hit and had pushed the tailgate in quite a lot. I'm not sure if reversing into a trailer at that sort of low speed would be enough force to make the rods pop off as it will have to push the tailgate panel in first.

cheers

Thanks Alex - I never actually saw the damage, just listened to the guy saying the damage was minimal and the expense incurred high!! My guess is that a minor impact dislodged the plastic clip which had perhaps worked loose anyway. I made mine more secure with that essential item, a cable tie.

But I think the basic point remains, some way of getting the tailgate open would save everyone a lot of hassle.

Thanks for your input.

Lewis

Yes, I agree. I would be interested to see what you have done if you could email or PM me some photos please?

Thanks

Will do, Alex. Digi camera packed up at present, but will get something to you.