Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking the Cali to France

graham finn

graham finn

G&T
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are still fairly new to our T5 Cali but we are being adventurous this year and driving to France, we have ordered our hook up converter and some of the other essentials but we are not sure about the Beam converters and spare bull kit. Is there a switch in the van that deals with the beam convert? And do we have to but a spare build for every light?

Beam convertors and spare bulb kit are a legal requirement in France, so is a warning triangle and of course a gillet (not sure if spelt correctly) for every person.
No switch to convert beams unfortunately.
Hope this helps.

John

Loads of this stuff on the web - its not too onerous. you will need to have breath test kit as well for France. worth checking out the requirements for all countries and getting the kit together.

If you have Xenon headlights you can have your headlight beams "flatened" by a dealer, otherwise it's beam deflectors on the glass or you can buy headlamp protectors from Vw and they come with beam deflectors.

We are still fairly new to our T5 Cali but we are being adventurous this year and driving to France, we have ordered our hook up converter and some of the other essentials but we are not sure about the Beam converters and spare bull kit. Is there a switch in the van that deals with the beam convert? And do we have to but a spare build for every light?
You can buy the necessary items as a European Touring Kit from the AA or RAC if my memory is correct.

Not anymore.

From what I have read on the AA website you are still required to carry one but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance. If it were me I would get a couple.

See, for example:

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/
http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

In summary:
  • A law was brought in as a result of lobbying by a self-interested pressure group
  • The law has not been revoked, so technically there is still a requirement to carry them
  • The breathalysers degrade in the heat of a car, so won't work after a prolonged period of storage
  • The law to impose fines (of just €11) was never introduced
  • In 2013 the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyser with you has been postponed indefinitely.

See, for example:

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/
http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

In summary:
  • A law was brought in as a result of lobbying by a self-interested pressure group
  • The law has not been revoked, so technically there is still a requirement to carry them
  • The breathalysers degrade in the heat of a car, so won't work after a prolonged period of storage
  • The law to impose fines (of just €11) was never introduced
  • In 2013 the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyser with you has been postponed indefinitely.
Thank you. So I won't have to replace the ones I have.

Depending on how often you are intending on going I would recommend getting the already mentioned headlight protectors. The stick on beam converters are rubbish anyway and if you go often the cost will soon add up to the price of getting the protectors which simply click on/off, and of course, protect the headlamps.

Depending on how often you are intending on going I would recommend getting the already mentioned headlight protectors. The stick on beam converters are rubbish anyway and if you go often the cost will soon add up to the price of getting the protectors which simply click on/off, and of course, protect the headlamps.
Agree
I keep the protectors on the van most of the time and just use the sticky tabs as needed, just a matter of reapplying the tabs onto the template
If the tabs loose there tack I apply a little Spray Mount

Alan

Are these only from VW?

I know this is probably wrong but having been to France every year in the Cali since 2012 and going for 3 weeks this year , We have never had the headlight converters as we have made a point of not driving at night , and if the weather has been poor during the day just used side lights no problems so far ( touching wood )

dave and lisa

I know this is probably wrong but having been to France every year in the Cali since 2012 and going for 3 weeks this year , We have never had the headlight converters as we have made a point of not driving at night , and if the weather has been poor during the day just used side lights no problems so far ( touching wood )

dave and lisa
You have been lucky then. Whether you drive at night or not you still have to have Converters or the headlights adjusted.
Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 07.37.37.jpg

Are the markers on the headlight protectors for the stickers the same for standard headlights and Xenons? or do you locate them differently?

Are the markers on the headlight protectors for the stickers the same for standard headlights and Xenons? or do you locate them differently?
Surely, If you have xenons, you should be able to adjust them mechanically/electronically.

Any idea where about to stick lamp converters.