Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Talk about Procrastination...

Cath&Stef

Cath&Stef

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
.. but we must have been talking about a van for at least 6 years!

We're Cath and Stef. We like camping with friends and family and we're both kite surfers. Naturally, last year offered no opportunities for warm waters and windy days in foreign locations. So there were many occasions when we were changing into or out of wetsuits on cold, sometimes rainy beaches and greens, or even in the street, while casting envious glances at other kiters with more appropriate vehicles. This year doesn't hold much promise either, so we finally took the plunge and ordered a van in January for delivery in April.

Not a new California then, but a conversion to our requirements, based on a new T6.1 SWB Highline Tailgate Transporter. Scary prospect when you're spending big money on a product you cannot see, let alone touch, except on a website. But the supplier/converters were very patient and flexible, given we deviated from their standard spec. On 26th April we collected our first Campervan from Cambridgeshire.

It's Starlight blue, 150bhp, DSG, usual habitation bits, except that Cath declined a grill/oven.microwave. We chose a SmartBed to provide space for the kite boards underneath, a Webasto diesel heater, external gas point for the Cadac, solar panel, and reversing camera. Couldn't decide on an awning, so went for a REIMO rail.

It's been on two trips now, (Bracklesham and Cornwall) and we've pretty much got the hang of what goes where and how to stop it rattling around. We've slept downstairs (50mph winds at Bracklesham) and upstairs and used it as a day/kite van and it is awesome!

So if anyone is dithering like we did, my only advice is DO IT.
You can always get more money, but you can't get more time!

PS: I don't even know how much I don't know yet, so no doubt I'll be asking dim questions in coming weeks.

:welcome Welcome and thanks for the intro. Some pics would be great.

.. but we must have been talking about a van for at least 6 years!

We're Cath and Stef. We like camping with friends and family and we're both kite surfers. Naturally, last year offered no opportunities for warm waters and windy days in foreign locations. So there were many occasions when we were changing into or out of wetsuits on cold, sometimes rainy beaches and greens, or even in the street, while casting envious glances at other kiters with more appropriate vehicles. This year doesn't hold much promise either, so we finally took the plunge and ordered a van in January for delivery in April.

Not a new California then, but a conversion to our requirements, based on a new T6.1 SWB Highline Tailgate Transporter. Scary prospect when you're spending big money on a product you cannot see, let alone touch, except on a website. But the supplier/converters were very patient and flexible, given we deviated from their standard spec. On 26th April we collected our first Campervan from Cambridgeshire.

It's Starlight blue, 150bhp, DSG, usual habitation bits, except that Cath declined a grill/oven.microwave. We chose a SmartBed to provide space for the kite boards underneath, a Webasto diesel heater, external gas point for the Cadac, solar panel, and reversing camera. Couldn't decide on an awning, so went for a REIMO rail.

It's been on two trips now, (Bracklesham and Cornwall) and we've pretty much got the hang of what goes where and how to stop it rattling around. We've slept downstairs (50mph winds at Bracklesham) and upstairs and used it as a day/kite van and it is awesome!

So if anyone is dithering like we did, my only advice is DO IT.
You can always get more money, but you can't get more time!

PS: I don't even know how much I don't know yet, so no doubt I'll be asking dim questions in coming weeks.
Congratulations and welcome.
You’ll make wonderful memories. Don’t forget the obligatory photos.

:welcome Great intro, what took you so long ? ;)

Welcome.
6 years, that's about right for us also. We saw our first Cali at the Silverstone Classic car meet. The owner waxed lyrical about it. The thing that clinched the desire to have one, was the fact that you could hide the table and chairs away so neatly. That's when the "one day" was installed in our mind.

Back