Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Considering joining the cali club...

apforrest

apforrest

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
HI all.

We're a family of 5 and have long talked about doing a van conversion. Recently we were fortunate to come into some money to make this a reality, but now that we've got the actual means to start on the journey, we're realising that it's going to be hard to make a van work well for a family of 5; at least one that has all the bells and whistles. We're starting to realise perhaps a better path is to get something ready made that we can all benefit from now, and look to do a van conversion of our own when the kids start to move on and we have more time.

So, this is what brings me here as the van that has stood out the most is the Beach Camper: a great big bed downstairs that the three kids could sleep on; me and my wife up in the pop top; and five seats. Also, I love that we still get a sneaky burner built into the door.

I'm intrigued to get peoples opinion on this: any pros and cons; alternative suggestions; and whether we should consider new vs used?

Thanks
Andy

TBH I’d have to say a family of 5 is one too many, depending on your kids ages and your penchant for drive away awnings. We have a little one on the way and give our Cali another 5 or 6 years, maybe less, and then we’ll be looking at a crafter sized vehicle with a pop top.

We’re a family of 3 and would struggle with a second child in our Ocean. Yes you can get two child seats in but they’re big bulky things these days and they’d have to go outside or in an awning once on a campsite.

With three kids as above you’ll need to send someone to sleep outside in the awning which probably means even more stuff (sleeping mats, camp beds or whatever).

You’ll need a fifth seat and you’ll be struggling with space. Probably into trailer territory and you’re beginning to lose the benefits of compactness of the Cali. As much as I hate to say it, if you want a home on wheels for a family of 5 you’re probably looking at a 6 berth Great White.

Thanks for the thoughts. I see in other threads that families of 5 have made it work, whether it’s been great is probably another question. We’d look to get the beach camper with the three seat configuration at the back.

Other thoughts/opinions welcome

I think it depends on how big the kids are, I’ve got a 9year old and a 4 year old and we’re all fine in the ocean, with another little old you’ll be fine in a 5seat beach, okay 3x teenagers might be a different story! You need to learn how to pack efficiently and there’s always the open for driveaway awnings, we only tend to use the driveaway on longer trips as it’s hard work to but up and down, but it’s great for extra space for all the stuff you inevitably end up with!

Thanks for the thoughts. I see in other threads that families of 5 have made it work, whether it’s been great is probably another question. We’d look to get the beach camper with the three seat configuration at the back.

Other thoughts/opinions welcome
Check you can get three child seats in though!

The kids are 7, 9 and 11, so not too bad of child seats. We’re all pretty small, so not big kids. We’re expecting that for longer trips we’ll want an additional tent, perhaps even a smaller two man tent. But for short trips, the kids can snuggle up. Perhaps I’m being too idealistic

The kids are 7, 9 and 11, so not too bad of child seats. We’re all pretty small, so not big kids. We’re expecting that for longer trips we’ll want an additional tent, perhaps even a smaller two man tent. But for short trips, the kids can snuggle up. Perhaps I’m being too idealistic
I’d advise a try before you buy and renting one for a week and see how you get on. I haven't seen a Coast rental but sure someone will know one.

No not at all. You’ll have a great time.

Pop up tents from Decathlon have been a god send for us as the kids have got bigger. Up/down in a couple of minutes with an inflatable mattress and the kids love sleeping in them. Take up very little space. 1,2 or all 3 of them out at bed time and you’ll be absolutely fine.

Just go ahead. Once they are older (and larger) most children like it very much to sleep outside and a small tent and inflatable matrasses use very little packing space. Sleeping bags packed on the floor while driving. While deciding to buy an old or new California you might consider that most VW busses last a long time.

Go for it - won’t be too many years before they don’t want to come away with mum and dad anymore so use an extra tent and make the most of your family time together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI all.

We're a family of 5 and have long talked about doing a van conversion. Recently we were fortunate to come into some money to make this a reality, but now that we've got the actual means to start on the journey, we're realising that it's going to be hard to make a van work well for a family of 5; at least one that has all the bells and whistles. We're starting to realise perhaps a better path is to get something ready made that we can all benefit from now, and look to do a van conversion of our own when the kids start to move on and we have more time.

So, this is what brings me here as the van that has stood out the most is the Beach Camper: a great big bed downstairs that the three kids could sleep on; me and my wife up in the pop top; and five seats. Also, I love that we still get a sneaky burner built into the door.

I'm intrigued to get peoples opinion on this: any pros and cons; alternative suggestions; and whether we should consider new vs used?

Thanks
Andy
Checkout the Calicamperfamily on YT. They are a family of 5 and exchanged their Cali Ocean for a Ford Nugget Hitop. Their experience might give you you some insight into the pros and cons. They are very happy with the Nugget with the onboard toilet being a big plus.

I have a 7 seat Beach, (3 seat rear , 2 mid seats and Driver passenger ),

its highly capable of sleeping Two adults and three kids / teens.

i have been away with Six (4 kids & two adults) (kids were 14 & 12 years old, one friend each ) two of those kids were not ours so the kids had the upper and lower bed, mum & dad got the Drive away awning tent, we obviously had to take the extra mid seat (same as the beach camper) which stayed in the van all the time (even when lower bed was made up in the evening).
The drive away awning (Kampa Air) was used as a bedroom (SIM 100mm thick laid on the ground sheet) and additional storage area clothes / shoes etc. The SIM bed remained made up in the tent and was used as a teens chill out area. (Phones etc).

The bed arrangement for the DAA could be switch around so that everyone had a turn in the awning / van ?

I also have an event shelter with zip on / off sides, this is used as a Wet / inclement weather shelter, kitchen area, additional storage area, drying area and nigh time games room, chill out area etc amongst other thing.

Some DAA’s are huge and can have separate bed room areas etc , worth thinking of about !

Hiring is a good idea and will either confirm the deal or turn you straight off the idea, although hiring a set up like above would probably be difficult?

Do you have any experience of tent camping ? If you do then you’ll be fine .

seen plenty of pop up one / two man tents outside Vans with teens !

most everything can be worked around to suit your needs, what can’t is the amount of seats you require to get your fam to site !

My kids are now 18 / 16 & do not want to go camping anymore, regardless of the available space !

edit: different setup, different durations , number of campers, locations / weather etc , you are limited only by your imagination and how many seats are in the vehicle!

2A22E55A-F9CE-448E-B139-FB00E7CBD963.jpeg

6B106248-443A-4113-937F-BBBC4B018374.jpeg

C3E1FB33-1682-4DE5-95BA-9DBC5D879A3C.jpeg

CCF2B86B-96E4-4FCE-A295-2C4915BFA54F.jpeg

45B874BF-67D7-45A0-BAE3-1B9D18729733.jpeg

A7E79FA0-4579-41E8-90D9-59B45C30DD49.jpeg

42AFCDEC-8367-48C1-AAAE-6FB6970DD69E.jpeg

Last edited:
As possible alternatives, check out the Ford Nugget with pop-up roof and seating for 5 (there is also a High Top LWB version with emergency toilet/warm shower).
Camper King sells VW SWB and LWB Transporter based conversions with pop-up roof and seating for 6.

I have a 7 seat Beach, (3 seat rear , 2 mid seats and Driver passenger ),

its highly capable of sleeping Two adults and three kids / teens.

i have been away with Six (4 kids & two adults) (kids were 14 & 12 years old, one friend each ) two of those kids were not ours so the kids had the upper and lower bed, mum & dad got the Drive away awning tent, we obviously had to take the extra mid seat (same as the beach camper) which stayed in the van all the time (even when lower bed was made up in the evening).
The drive away awning (Kampa Air) was used as a bedroom (SIM 100mm thick laid on the ground sheet) and additional storage area clothes / shoes etc. The SIM bed remained made up in the tent and was used as a teens chill out area. (Phones etc).

The bed arrangement for the DAA could be switch around so that everyone had a turn in the awning / van ?

I also have an event shelter with zip on / off sides, this is used as a Wet / inclement weather shelter, kitchen area, additional storage area, drying area and nigh time games room, chill out area etc amongst other thing.

Some DAA’s are huge and can have separate bed room areas etc , worth thing about !

Hiring is a good idea and will either confirm the deal or turn you straight off the idea, although hiring a set up like above would probably be difficult?

Do you have any experience of tent camping ? If you do then you’ll be fine .

seen plenty of pop up one / two man tents outside Vans with teens !

most everything can be worked around to suit your needs, what can’t is the amount of seats you require to get your fam to site !

My kids are now 18 / 16 & do not want to go camping anymore, regardless of the available space !

edit: different setup, different durations , number of campers, locations / weather etc , you are limited only by your imagination and how many seats are in the vehicle!

View attachment 114892

View attachment 114893

View attachment 114894

View attachment 114895

View attachment 114896

View attachment 114897

View attachment 114898
Testament to you (and the Cali versatility) that you got that lot in, with 4 humans... bravo!

As possible alternatives, check out the Ford Nugget with pop-up roof and seating for 5 (there is also a High Top LWB version with emergency toilet/warm shower).
Camper King sells VW SWB and LWB Transporter based conversions with pop-up roof and seating for 6.
The pop top LWB Nugget (with toilet & shower) is available in the UK.

HI all.

Thanks
Andy
Beach seems logical for short trips.

Possible longer (or short) stay solution/option is getting a trailer tent which might solve both sleeping and cooking needs with some extra transit storage space bonus.
Some used bargains about.

Testament to you (and the Cali versatility) that you got that lot in, with 4 humans... bravo!
The available boot space on a three seater beach is immense, particularly if you don’t need to lower the bench seat ( for sleeping ) before u get to site you have the full height of the van.

Wow, thanks all, there’s a lot of feedback here! Super helpful and affirming.