• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
TwentyOneThirtyFive

TwentyOneThirtyFive

Scruffy looking Nerf herder
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We bought Betty with the intention of keeper her for a year to see if we got on with campervan life (being tentists) then sell and either go back to tents, or buy a more modern van. After the year was up we decided that she did everything that we wanted, so decided to keep her.

I never thought we'd sell the van so always lavished her with love, attention and the best parts I could get my hands on, so I'm actually really sad that we've decided, five years to the day that we first set eyes on her in muddy yard in Surrey, that she's got to go :(

In those five years, just about everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. And each time it's made me put off the all important job of getting the bodywork sorted.

This year has been the worst and we've hardly been away in her. Not one, but two new engines. And a bitter argument between a supplier and fitter that wouldn't actually talk to each other to deal with. It's cost me a fortune, been increadibly stressful, but I'm more upset about the lost time.

And somewhere along the line I've lost the love for the old girl. Probably just after the first new engine failed, because I was quite enjoying being back on the road until that point.

Funny, now she's running really well. Just a couple of little jobs to do, plus finish running in this engine and she'll be up for sale, probably in the new year. Just needs someone who will want to do the bodywork and she'll be practically new!

So many thanks everyone for all the help with technical questions over the last few years. I'm not a natural mechanic, but I've learnt a great deal from here. I'll miss the generaly banter and the light hearted ribbing of T5 owners (don't do it Pod!). It's been great to know I'm not alone in my geeky quest of Westfalia knowlege, but now it's time to move on.

Tarrah!
dan

Last edited:
The forum will have a hole in it when you are gone....
Thankx for the many tips and contribution Dan , only met you once but still remember it;)
Hope you get over it living without the Westie , all the best
Wim&Kathy & Mieke

Ps , what will you get in replacement....back to tents or diffrent camper?

Oh and what about the Lighthouse tread....? Miss you already!

Last edited:
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Dan, rethink this.
You've got the one bad apple. Don't let it taint your impression.

Mine will be up for grabs in the spring so you can taste reliability.

You'll leave big big bobble hat that can't be filled!

Pod.

Dan,

As with many others I owe you a lot. Your blogs have been an inspiration and your contributions to this forum have been invaluable. I wish you and family all the very best in the future, and please do pop in from time to time.

Jen

Agree with all of the above your knowledge and contribution has been invaluable
You will miss the old girl I'm sure. Good luck for the future.

Aww, shucks. You'll make me all emotional.

I'll be sure to drop in now and then, see what everyone is up to. Jen, glad the blog has inspired. It started really to let our far flung families know what we were up to, but grew into something else. I still look back through old stuff when I feel fidgetty. Sure I'm going to miss her when she does go.

Wim, we're still campervanning :) We have a new van and drove it around Scotland visiting not only lighthouses, but a lighthouse museum :) I'll stick some photos up when I get a moment.

We've got a little Toyota now. It's been imported from Japan and I have absolutely no idea what anything in the owner's manual says. Certainly not as well built as the Westy. But I just hope it will be reliable.

And Pod, thanks. I can't believe you're even considering selling that van, it's a gem!

Thanks again.
dan

Last edited:
Is it an Alphard by chance?

Nope, that's far too modern :D It's a HiAce. Nice simple mechanical 2.8D.

Look away now if you are easily offended...

IMG_8509_zpsldp2lyah.jpg

I looked away, but curiosity got the better of me.

I'm offended. :(

I do like the rearmirror/washline function doh.....:D
One thing is sure Dan you will be spotted .....
If it fits your needs and budget :thumb it's not all VW that glitters!

best wishes Dan.
look forward to your continued campervan trips on your blog :thumb
like the high top

Last edited:
So Dan is away and Sidepod has ordered a T6 (*). Who will answer all the T4 questions?

(*) he hasn't admitted to this, but dropped several hints. (Spring change, wouldn't have a T5 etc). Hopefully by quoting him incorrectly he'll tell us what is happening.