Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tax class for 2008 SE

R

Rob1972

Vehicle
Cali now sold
I've just taxed our 2008 California and been stung £580 for the privilege. I've just noticed the taxation class is "DIESEL CAR" - is this right?

I've just taxed our 2008 California and been stung £580 for the privilege. I've just noticed the taxation class is "DIESEL CAR" - is this right?
I think it is... Sorry to say.. Ive imported my VW to France and of course there is no tax anymore in France. Also insurance is much more flexible and less restricted, I can still use it in UK too. It was particularly annoying with Saga insurance for example, which claims to be 360 days a year in Europe, this is not the case if one leaves the VW in a country and goes back to UK then it is not covered. Not the case with French insurance.

Correct, I’m afraid.

I have a 2008 Cali and was advised to switch it to PLG (Private/Light Goods) when bought it in 2009. I had to go to some post office in North London. It all worked and when I got my new tax disc I also got £250 rebate. Is that not allowed?

Is this a new van to you so the first time you have taxed it?

interesting - we pay £265 for 12 months on our 2008 SE - we have the 2.5 130HP engine - is your different?

Mines a 2008 taxed as a plg from new says motor home in log book.
think you been stung. Mine is a 174.

Looks like I should try to change the tax class to motorhome when the V5 comes through.

EDIT: Actually looking at Parkers the rate is correct.

See 2.5 TDI PD SE (174ps) 4d Tip Auto (22 May 2006 - 30 Dec 2009)

Last edited:
Mines a 2008 taxed as a plg from new says motor home in log book.
think you been stung. Mine is a 174.
Does your V5c State M1 and Diesel Car.?

Some Historical Reading.

Last edited:
Looks like I should try to change the tax class to motorhome when the V5 comes through.
Tax Class is dependant on the Classification, M1 or N1 if a commercial vehicle.
Body Type Motorhome has no bearing on the tax paid.

Does your V5c State M1 and Diesel Car.?

I would be very surprised if it does.

Some Historical Reading.

It states M1 motor caravan plg and that was from new.

It states M1 motor caravan plg and that was from new.
Lucky you. There was a change in Registration Type, done by VW, around 2008.

We've been here before and I'm still confused.
My registration document states:
B: First Registration 30 09 2013
D.5 Body Type Motor Caravan
[X]: Taxation class Diesel Car
J: Vehicle category M1
My annual VED is £305.
Is there any re-classification that would mean less VED? I'm not unduly concerned, just curious, as this is a perennial chestnut.

Later 2.5 engines fell foul of the emission VED rates being based on the output figure. Put them into the same category as the bigger 4x4's.
No cost effective way out of it as a complete engine and exhaust emission system would be required plus a reclassification.

We've been here before and I'm still confused.
My registration document states:
B: First Registration 30 09 2013
D.5 Body Type Motor Caravan
[X]: Taxation class Diesel Car
J: Vehicle category M1
My annual VED is £305.
Is there any re-classification that would mean less VED? I'm not unduly concerned, just curious, as this is a perennial chestnut.
I think £305 is best you gonna get. I think that’s the same as my 2.5 2008 Cali on PLG.
A lot better than £560.

Recently taxed my 2009 Beach, 2.5, 130hp. £330.

Look at your V5 for the CO2 (g/km) figure probably in Category M for VED purposes.
Nothing else counts at that time, nor what anyone else pays.

I've seen Transporter van buyers get caught out by this after purchase.

The road tax is a joke. A results of successive governments trying to extract money from us while trying to be unnoticed when announcing it in the budget. That one is a Gordon brown's special who decided in 2008 that cars emitting 225 g/co2 should be taxed at 500 quid a year. Many large cars got caught in it until car manufacturers cheated their way out of it included vw of course.

Road tax is only beaten in complexity by the pension relief tempering. That one, good luck to try to work it out.

Back to road tax. I would love to know how much it costs to pay all these people designing road tax at hmrc, and implementing it at the dvla.

I would fire all these useless leeches and put 5p on a litre of fuel.

End if rant.

The road tax is a joke. A results of successive governments trying to extract money from us while trying to be unnoticed when announcing it in the budget. That one is a Gordon brown's special who decided in 2008 that cars emitting 225 g/co2 should be taxed at 500 quid a year. Many large cars got caught in it until car manufacturers cheated their way out of it included vw of course.

Road tax is only beaten in complexity by the pension relief tempering. That one, good luck to try to work it out.

Back to road tax. I would love to know how much it costs to pay all these people designing road tax at hmrc, and implementing it at the dvla.

I would fire all these useless leeches and put 5p on a litre of fuel.

End if rant.
As I recall they did put fuel taxes up on the basis of a pay as you use but then couldn't resist the easy target of road users with no other travel options and put VED rates up.

As you say list of rates dependent on year/month of registration plus a subdivision of that. Not to mention private or Commercial.

My (now sold) 2008 SE first registered March 2008 was PLG Motor Caravan M1, and cost me £265 at last renewal in Feb 2020. This would currently be £270 I guess. As I understand it, the category at birth is normally kept for life, so don’t see why yours should be any different from this unless it was mis-categorised from new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk