Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Testing the forum - Sat Nav

dayslikethis

dayslikethis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Here's a good question to test the forum. I recently purchased a new Cali complete with 510 sat Nav before driving east. Unfortunately the Sat Nav maps stopped at Slovenia as I seem to need an Eastern Europe Version for this. There are plenty of Western Europe CD's on e bay but none for the east. My dealer says he can get one but it will cost £195.00 - Any ideas?? Maybe I'll have to pay £195.

I had exactly the same problem when I entered Slovenia .

And the Eastern Europe maps are not a part that a UK dealer can supply. Got mine at a dealer at Bologna. The price seems about what I paid. Expensive.

Not sure if this has been raised elsewhere, but I am on version 9 of the map discs, but only have a copy disc not the original vw ones... If I find a disc on ebay, most say rns 510 but do not list california, but may have various other vw models etc. Will the disc work in my unit ? Where can this be checked out?

Thanks

If it works in an rns510 then you will be fine. Of course the ebay ones are copies so you will have to check your moral compass!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Should we have received discs with the factory fitted unit- they installed the mapping but we didn't get any discs.

If in the UK you should have got the Western Europe discs

Thanks all for the responses - interesting. Regarding the receipt of discs my dealer just installed from a disc he had and did not hand over the disc, I assume that's the practice. As regards the above maybe I will try and source a local dealer - until then CO-PILOT on my iPhone and iPad is very good everywhere.

There's always Navfree for Eastern Europe. Haven't used it there but have used it in US, Oz and several Western Europe countries. It doesn't know everything but good for the broad picture

Larkrise said:
Should we have received discs with the factory fitted unit- they installed the mapping but we didn't get any discs.
Can anyone confirm that we must get the disc when we buy this or is the cost just for loading the disc, I am sure we don't have the disc.
Thanks

The disc is loaded onto the sat nav but then it should remain in the vehicle for you.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
The disc is loaded onto the sat nav but then it should remain in the vehicle for you.

cheers

Interesting - I think I have to make a call!

smgcowfold said:

cheers

I picked my Cali up 9 days ago and am still waiting for the disc ,dealers told me that they cannot order until vehicle in stock and have to adhere to vw terms (no shortcuts) in the meantime It is a real pain as I either have to buy a portable satnav or go back to a paper map surely they could have ordered when it arrived at Grimsby so that it was available for delivery :headbang

smgcowfold said:

cheers
Thanks Alex, how can I check to see f it's in there, is there an eject button?

My sister in law purchased a new Golf with an RNS510 factory fitted. There was no disc. When I enquirer about this the salesman said that they were no longer supplied as the system would be updated at each service.
Some time later I asked the service manager if they updated the system at each service. He just laughed and shook his head.
I had my RNS510 fitted by HazzyDays and they supplied me with a disc.
Bob

My dealer in 2010 supplied my disc a few weeks after I collected the van.

This was due to what's said above re them ordering it after van arrives at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BerndRos said:
My dealer in 2010 supplied my disc a few weeks after I collected the van.

This was due to what's said above re them ordering it after van arrives at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow this California ordering/ waiting business can really change your personality!!! ive gone from a really placid tolerant chilled out person to completely the opposite over a 5 month waiting period with no dealer contact, late delivery and now no sat/nav disc ,I would go away for a few days next week if I knew were I was going :doh

Is it possible to update maps and add camera information to the RNS 315 unit...???

The vans come to us without the discs in, we order when the vans arrive. You have to use the disc to download the maps etc...and to set the unit up properly. Disc is then ejected and not left in the unit for general use. AFAIK the updates are done by disc for the map updates, we do not have the ability to update sat nav maps etc...during service. We might be able to update some firmware on the unit but that would be it.

cheers

I believe you would have to purchase a new disc as and when required and when a new map is released.

cheers

soulstyledevon said:
Is it possible to update maps and add camera information to the RNS 315 unit...???

It is certainly possible to update the maps but I don't think it can take a camera.
The maps are very expensive and I have been looking for a decent price on 2013/14 maps for since I bought my van. One of the forum partners Vag-Tec offered me a set at £140 (Western Europe) but haven't purchased yet. Other suppliers can easily match that.
It is supplied on SD card (no longer CDs) to prohibit unauthorised copying. I cant help wondering what would happen if the SD card corrupted- not that unusual.
If it were less than £100 I would have bought it already.

Back