Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Road to Morocco

If you have Kindle Unlimited there are a couple of free books on Amazon
Morocco Motorhome by Jason and Julie Buckley
Flip Flops and Falafel by Andy McKettrick
Thank you

We’ve been here nearly 2 months now and have just seen 2 Calis. We’ve done a clockwise loop from Tanger Med down through Chefchaouen, Fez, Marrakech, then over the Altlas mountains in a blizzard to the Sahara at Merzouga. Then we headed down the Draa valley into Western Sahara as far as Dahkla and the Tropic of Cancer. It felt very remote down there and apart from a few trucks and UN vehicles there’s surprisingly very little traffic on the N1 Atlantic highway. The road is excellent and hugs the coast all the way south from Tantan with spectacular coastline.

There’s lots of police checkpoints throughout Morocco, though they’re generally disinterested in us. Sometimes they want to see your passport or ask where you’re going.

We still have another 2 weeks heading up the west coast of Morocco and will definitely come back as we’ve had a fantastic time. We’ve camped most of the time but have stayed in a few riads and hotels as they’re cheap. Tonight we’re in a car park in Guelmim by the Saturday morning camel market.

View attachment 106060

View attachment 106061

View attachment 106062

View attachment 106063

View attachment 106064

View attachment 106065

View attachment 106066
Excellent thank you. I assume you have a personalised number plate.
They cater to foreign tourists - for example, at some of the more popular campgrounds they hand-make custom insulated window covers for your van, along with other hand-made products like seat covers, etc.

We didn't stay there, but met people further south in Mauritania who were using the products they just had made. One was not too far from Agadir. Maybe you can find more on Park4Night.
Thank you

We’ve been here nearly 2 months now and have just seen 2 Calis. We’ve done a clockwise loop from Tanger Med down through Chefchaouen, Fez, Marrakech, then over the Altlas mountains in a blizzard to the Sahara at Merzouga. Then we headed down the Draa valley into Western Sahara as far as Dahkla and the Tropic of Cancer. It felt very remote down there and apart from a few trucks and UN vehicles there’s surprisingly very little traffic on the N1 Atlantic highway. The road is excellent and hugs the coast all the way south from Tantan with spectacular coastline.

There’s lots of police checkpoints throughout Morocco, though they’re generally disinterested in us. Sometimes they want to see your passport or ask where you’re going.

We still have another 2 weeks heading up the west coast of Morocco and will definitely come back as we’ve had a fantastic time. We’ve camped most of the time but have stayed in a few riads and hotels as they’re cheap. Tonight we’re in a car park in Guelmim by the Saturday morning camel market.

View attachment 106060

View attachment 106061

View attachment 106062

View attachment 106063

View attachment 106064

View attachment 106065

View attachment 106066
Great write up and certainly food for thought for a road trip; just on the practicalities, did you do any prep work on your Cali or just jump in and take off? Just the standard spare wheel etc?

View attachment 106060

View attachment 106061

View attachment 106062

View attachment 106063

View attachment 106064

View attachment 106065

View attachment 106066
Awesome pictures !
Is there any actual border between Morocco and the Western Sahara territories or just a lot of police/military presence ?
Is your Cali 4WD ? Would a 2WD one be sufficient for such a trip ?
I'd be so tempted to replicate your coastal trip ! I've been to Essaouira (not in my vehicle) some years ago and loved it

Awesome pictures !
Is there any actual border between Morocco and the Western Sahara territories or just a lot of police/military presence ?
Is your Cali 4WD ? Would a 2WD one be sufficient for such a trip ?
I'd be so tempted to replicate your coastal trip ! I've been to Essaouira (not in my vehicle) some years ago and loved it
No border that you’d notice. Just a disproportionate number of police roadblocks and higher likelihood of being questioned/asked for documents. Yes 2wd: the roads are better than at home: just lots of mopeds, tuk tuk pickups and donkeys. We’re in Essaouria tomorrow.

Great write up and certainly food for thought for a road trip; just on the practicalities, did you do any prep work on your Cali or just jump in and take off? Just the standard spare wheel etc?
No we didn’t prep the Cali at all and there’s no need anymore than you would do so for a European trip. I did bring 2 cans of tyreweld but haven’t had a puncture yet.

Back