Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The start of the journey!

CamperFam

CamperFam

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi all,

Well - I'm officially stressed! Cali shopping is hard work in the current sellers market....!

It's worth kicking off with an introduction. My wife (well - should have been, if it wasn't for C-19 causing it to get cancelled!) and I have been wanting a California since we got our first T5 Camper Conversion back in 2016. Whilst it was a fantastic beast, with the arrival of our youngest (currently 19 months), my dad-radar went crazy when I looked at some of the workmanship and the thoughts that I had over it's safety should we be unfortunate and have an accident were overpowering. I sold her shortly afterwards, with great joy and sadness all at once.

So instead, we've been sticking instead to a BMW 140i - after having a T5, a BMW 1 series does not qualify as a family vehicle! It's the little things we miss - the fridge for those times you go shopping and you take a bit longer to get back - the flexibility of seeing friends/family who are that little bit too far away, leaving us to decline events purely because of the hellish inconvenience of distance and a toddler (none of our friends are parents yet, so they dont quite know what's in store yet!) The ability to change a nappy in/at the car without breaking your back leaning into the boot! One of the best memories of my T5 was at a friend's wedding where our (at the time) 7 month old daughter started to get agitated in the church, and I dissapeared on out. It began snowing and I ran back to the T5, threw on the night heater, and someone calmed down and had a lovely kip in the warmth (the daughter, just to clarify)

On the plus side, whilst we snuffed our wedding, our announcement is going strong, with a second girl/boy inbound for November. I know from experience how versatile a VW camper is when it comes to pregnancies! So we've made the decision that the age is right, the time is right, and the stars are aligned - and we're going to be getting a T6 VW Cali Ocean!

Our journey has had a couple of false starts in previous months however we've got our budget and spec fully clear in our heads, and with flexibility on colours and distance - the world's our oyster - or atleast the UK. Sadly over the past few days we've had a couple of rubbish situations such as whilst waiting for deposit bank details after agreeing finance feasibility and such, another sales rep has accepted a deposit down mid-discussion....which isn't ideal, especially mid-card-reader approval, and then being unable to find 'a better example' afterwards! *clenches fist*

With that said, we're patient enough and the right one will materialise in time! Our dream is to give our kids (I dont feel old enough to say that....) as rich a childhood as possible when it comes to travel, the country, people and ultimately the adventure.

My other and I are keen vloggers/forumers, so we'll be making sure we update this post with our progress and get some content out there once we find 'the one' for anyone else who's in a similar boat/position/mindset!

What a great intro! Sorry to hear the nuptials are postponed, and congratulations on the impending arrival in November. Hope you manage to clinch a deal on a Cali in the meantime.

Welcome on board the forum Kallista. With such a nice and detailed intro, we are sure that your Cali life blogging will also be very interesting.

Here's to great times when you get the van, and absolutely agree - a great way to give children the experience of a lifetime.

All the best in your search and yes, do keep us updated.

Congratulations on the other new arrival as well. Best wishes.

What a great intro! Sorry to hear the nuptials are postponed, and congratulations on the impending arrival in November. Hope you manage to clinch a deal on a Cali in the meantime.

It’s the just the wedding that’s postponed

We also had a few false starts but managed to purchase Doris in Preston - we live in Cornwall ! So not exactly close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the just the wedding that’s postponed

We also had a few false starts but managed to purchase Doris in Preston - we live in Cornwall ! So not exactly close

Ive just purchased Kylie from Liverpool and I can see you across the border from West Devon. Good luck with the Cali and the wedding!

Hello,

Wow you are definitely having an eventful year! Sorry to hear about the cali that got away while you were paying the deposit! :eek:
i hope you manage to find something suitable, they are great family cars.
(We have a beach which are worth considering as well?)
We started off looking at conversions but the design and safety of the Cali felt right for us. I love being able to park up and walk through to the back without opening the doors. Fab with kids and I wish I’d had one when our kids were younger!

Congrats on your News!!! Plus good luck on your search!

Thanks all!

Well we've been incredibly fortunate.

After copious amounts of hours toiled infront of the PC, with every other sales rep uttering the words 'it's sold i'm afraid', I went back around the houses at some Oceans that I flash past earlier in the day.

A shoutout needs to be made to the guys at Carlisle - Simon and the team really went through a lot of grief in trying to match a quote I had on the elusive 'deposit that wasnt' Cali, and ultimately due to the vehicle's age being two months out (from what I gather) they couldn't offer the same finance. If anyone's looking for a fantastic spec'd white Cali Ocean T6 with wooden flooring, chat to them. Their efforts were boundless, limited only by VW's finance terms. It's so well spec'd, it even comes with the magnetic flashlight! :D

However, with one door closing, anther always opens - and such happened here, with some fantastic support from David and Joshua in Leeds.

At 11:30pm, despite my other half telling me to take a break from the incessent 'what do you think of this one?', we found it. A gorgeous (if a van ever is?) black T6 Cali Ocean 199PS, with only 3,000 miles on the clock and registered in December 2019, with our key must-haves all ticked!:
- LEDs
- Adaptive Cruise
- Rear View Camera
- Insultating privacy glass
- Shower (for those muddy boot hose downs etc)
- Magetic Torch (just kidding....)
- Awning

With other nice-to-haves ticked too such as heated windscreen, it answered all of our needs, and we put down a deposit with the guys at Leeds ready for a pickup next week! Watch this space :)

thumbnail_image2.jpg

:welcome Kallista
Journeys are often long and not always straight.
You seem to have taken the bumps in the road in your stride.
Good things come to those whom wait, I hope your waiting is over and let the good times roll.
You’ll look back on 2020 as a fading memory, much like having children, you forget the bad and only remember the good.

And so the journey begins in Ernest

Looking forward to some of those post I know will be coming to this forum

Congrats on the new arrivals ( both) :Nailbiting:thumb:cheers:pinkbanana:bananadance2;)

So glad you found one. We were very lucky with getting ours, they had a hundred inquiries! on our Cali after we agreed to purchase it.

Well, tomorrow's the day!

After numerous false starts on our California plans in previous months/years, we're finally at the last day of waiting!

With the Cali joining our ranks, we're selling our BMW which we need to do before we pick up our newest addition. Sadly, the dealer that's buying it need to pick it up, which is difficult when they're in Manchester and we're in Colchester! Sadly, the transport firm's next available date is the 25th of June, and given we've waited so long, i'm loathed to let something so simple stand in our way!

So i'm up in sixand a bit hours, throwing some food down my throat, and then travelling for four hours to Manchester, in order to sell my BMW tomorrow and working briefly when the office opens (virtually) at 0900.

Once i've tackled the immediate work-related tasks, i'll be setting off again through the services of a friendly person-courier, who'll then deliver me to Leeds, where our Cali awaits. Once there at around lunchtime, we'll be tackling the necessary paperwork and briefly hugging my newly aquired cash before it enters VW's pockets.

Truthfully, at that point, I suspect I wont be able to prioritise work over the Cali, and i'll be lost to the day. But if all goes to plan, i'll manage another couple of hours work, prior to beginning the journey home with some adaptive cruise control (is it sad that i'm excited by that?!).

The joys of a Cali though - If needs be, I can pull up, whip out the laptop, and work for however long I need in the comfort of the Cali - and with copious amounts of sweets and sustenance provided by the Mrs (to be), every cubbyhole will be utilised no doubt to keep me focused.

By the end of it, i'll have been on the road for over nine hours, with 500 miles covered, and hopefully a days worth of work eventually!

Wish me luck....

Nice looking van. Welcome to team Black.
BTW you’ll love the ACC

Well, tomorrow's the day!

After numerous false starts on our California plans in previous months/years, we're finally at the last day of waiting!

With the Cali joining our ranks, we're selling our BMW which we need to do before we pick up our newest addition. Sadly, the dealer that's buying it need to pick it up, which is difficult when they're in Manchester and we're in Colchester! Sadly, the transport firm's next available date is the 25th of June, and given we've waited so long, i'm loathed to let something so simple stand in our way!

So i'm up in sixand a bit hours, throwing some food down my throat, and then travelling for four hours to Manchester, in order to sell my BMW tomorrow and working briefly when the office opens (virtually) at 0900.

Once i've tackled the immediate work-related tasks, i'll be setting off again through the services of a friendly person-courier, who'll then deliver me to Leeds, where our Cali awaits. Once there at around lunchtime, we'll be tackling the necessary paperwork and briefly hugging my newly aquired cash before it enters VW's pockets.

Truthfully, at that point, I suspect I wont be able to prioritise work over the Cali, and i'll be lost to the day. But if all goes to plan, i'll manage another couple of hours work, prior to beginning the journey home with some adaptive cruise control (is it sad that i'm excited by that?!).

The joys of a Cali though - If needs be, I can pull up, whip out the laptop, and work for however long I need in the comfort of the Cali - and with copious amounts of sweets and sustenance provided by the Mrs (to be), every cubbyhole will be utilised no doubt to keep me focused.

By the end of it, i'll have been on the road for over nine hours, with 500 miles covered, and hopefully a days worth of work eventually!

Wish me luck....

Well, the reality will be:
1. you will not get any sleep tonight ... too much of excitement
2. Forget work tomorrow ... that ain't gonna happen :D
3. When you pick up the Cali - you will be asking 500 miles? bring it on ... I am ready for a 1000 ...

An exciting day indeed. Wishing you all the best. Drive safe and remember, if you are tired, you have a place to sleep in with you ... :thumb always ...

Enjoy!

Take a serious amount of time to check over the van and check everything is in order before driving one inch from the dealer, there are some horror stories from not checking the van properly before leaving the stealer.
Ask everything you need to know, “ no question is a stupid question if you don’t know the answer “
Good luck and enjoy.
We want photos of the new arrival in the flesh !

Enjoy :cool:

Beautiful van! Love the enthousiasm! You'll make a fine cali-addict like the rest of us. ;-)

Probably going to be driving back in the rain.

Enjoy the day. BMW sounds nice too and probably sounds nice as well. geddit?

Hope your pick up day goes smoothly! As you will probably be tired, I’d recommend making a list of the important things you need to check.
I.e check roof works, check seats swivel, check extras such as awning handle are in the van etc and app connect works. (Bizarrely our app connect worked with android but not Apple phones so as the fitter had an android phone to check with it wasn’t noticed till I tried it!)

Congratulations on getting your van and I hope you have lots of trips booked for the summer! (Fingers crossed they can open.:)

Evening all,

I decided to spend a day or two getting aquainted and getting her into a fit state (more about that later) before I showed her!

So the day started at 0320. A brief piece of toast and a cofee down the hatch, followed by three cups in a thermos, and I set off in my trusty M140i (the part exchange vehicle) from Colchester, up to Manchester. My mrs (Beth) and our daughter (Lorelai) decided to stay behind, as it was just too long a journey to take a 20 month old along for. Given Beth is also 5 months pregnant, we decided it was certainly for the best. Arriving at 0730, I tackled some business work on the laptop, whilst awaiting for the staff to arrive. Once BMW opened, I met a lovely woman who complimented the care and love the BMW had received, with no haggling on price, and the deal was done. Smooth, speedy and a somewhat clinical end to my M140i affair. Despite years of saying that I didnt love the car like I had previous ones, I was truly sad to see her go. There's something wrong about seeing someone else enter and drive a car you just sold.

Never the less, the journey continued. I was followed by my father, who (always up for a drive) met me at the dealer in Manchester (having driven up from Gatwick), to give me a 'COVID-FREE' trip to Leeds, and avoid public transport. A somewhat kick in the teeth, as he also owns an M140i in idential spec....

After tackling some more work emails whilst he picked his fights on the road, we finally arrived at Leeds VW Van Centre. Wet, miserable and grey.

Our Cali was parked up and ready for me to pick up, on a presentation spot with artificial grass and everying - I've never had the 'VIP' treatment before, and it won me over. The van was clean, the upholstery was unmarked, and even the mattresses were still in their protective cover. With a brief handover, the van was moved out into the rain, and I went in to do the deed.

And so I was the new owner of a Cali Ocean! After stopping twice enroute to crack out the laptop and do some work, I continued on and arrived home at about 6pm or so, before finishing up some more work. With my daughter on her way to bed, we decided to explore in the morning and do a bit of a roadtrip down to Surrey to see the family for a socially distanced visit.

The next day, after a wash following the mucky drive home from Leeds and Surrey....additional truths came to light as well as others found since driving home.

Firstly, to set the scene. A black T6 California Ocean - 199PS, registered in December 2019, with 2,800 miles sold at a VW dealer. I doubt i'm not the only one who imagines 'pretty immaculate'. However we noticed some inescapable truths....

- The wingmirror had clearly suffered a hefty whack, having got glue all around the plastic housing where it had been repaired/replaced.
- The previous owner smeared some polish over the plastic trim.
- There are numerous scratches and scuffs on the left side bumper
- There's a scratch down the right side above the wheel arch
- The last owner's stuck down a carbonfibre bumper protector (actually not opposed to it given it's actually real carbonfibre, minus the fact it's a campervan, not a performance vehicle......)
- The 'Ocean' on the left side appears to have been half picked off on one of the letters - either that, or the last owner got too close with the pressure washer).
- and worst of all, the last owner decided the van REALLY needed some £4.50 metal handle covers for the doors, which due to their terrible affixing, have chipped away at the handle paint, as well as what appears to be a complete sanding (?!?!) of one of the handles behind the cover once I managed to remove them.

Needless to say, for 56k on PCP, I was flipping mortified.

Never the less, other than the door handles, the rest I should have spotted and my tiredness, eagerness and commitment distracted my otherwise detailed eyes.

So, after a day of doing some tidying up, we're in a better position. I've decided that we'll keep the bumperguard on - whilst I'm opposed to the carbonfibre, it's a practical addition that makes sense, and I suspect I will just get upset with whatever it's hiding. And I certainly dont want to have another 'door handle' sight....! I'll be reaching out to the dealer and hopefully they'll be upstanding and will address the door handle issues for me when they also give me the key and details for detatching the towbar. The rest I can manage.

However, lets get onto the good bits, because if we have one trait in this family, it's to find the sunny side to anything.

Saturday morning, the girls were packed, ready for a roadtrip down to see my parents. Granted, it doesnt require a Cali to do - but there was something novel about being able to hide some chocolate buttons in the fridge, and pack both our offroad buggy pushchair and Osprey child-carrying rucksack with ample of space to spare. Beth's always had a gripe with the M140i and Lotus' of past due to their reclined positions, and the Cali is a much needed change for her, with enough space for her to stretch out in the copilot seat. With Lorelai in her isofix base in the back, with full view of the world around her (keeping in mind she normally doesnt get the panoramic view she does in the Cali), there was plenty of shouting 'big car' as an articulated lorry passed us on the QE2 bridge, followed by contagious giggles at every vehicle that passed us.

The roadnoise was markedly better at 60mph, rather than 70mph, so we knocked the ACC down and enjoyed slowly drifting between the trucks and lorries, watching my 'yesterday-self' blast off at loonie speeds. Somehow I feel like i've retired, asking myself why they're all rushing. Fun fact - the Cali is far more economical that I was led to belief (assuming our MPG reader is accurate). On our return leg that day, we hit 49....

Once we arrived at the parents, we had the expected 'show us everything' request. Tables, chairs, roof, awning, bed, drawers, wardrobes, hobs, taps, rotating chairs, LED lights - the works. And what perfect timing, with a starling (or something of the avian kind) leaving deposits on the awning within the 2 minutes we had it out.

After a lovely garden barbeque to celebrate an early fathers day, we headed home having picked up a gas cylinder and childs camping chair from a local camping shop.

That same evening, I went for an evening drive (sods law, it had to be the solstice) and waited eagerly for it to get dark enough to try out the LEDs in their full glory. And holy heck, it's like driving along with a football pitch following you. Somwhat excited about the evenings drawing in later this year now!

Which brings us onto today, and the pictures.

One of my tasks on any vehicle I buy is to give it a good clean and wax simply to keep some of the dirt off it, and then plan a proper bit of detailing in the coming weeks/months - especially right now when it's too sunny and hot to properly detail. It also gives me a chance to find all of the little defects and correct them if I can/should. So - after a simple wax (given the last owner must have relatively recently polished the paintwork (and plastics......)), I give you our Cali Ocean 199! Name TBC.

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:
He or she looks a cracker . Here’s to your family enjoying your Ocean