Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

..the very first 5 things..

M

marioinCalifornia

Ok guys...
The 24 is coming, my day..first appointment with my new travel mate..
I have attended many campsites in a tent and see a lot of Cali around here (Garda lake)
So i have some ideas but.. I have a question for those with years of experience...
you can suggest the top 5 things really necessary for first trip in a Cali ?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
:thanks

Mario

You probably already have a lot of it if your ex- tenter ...remember your 907 camp gaz bottle, but most stuff can be brought in Europe anyway if forgotten.

The Cali itself!
Just loaded ours for a trip Germany and Austrisch for 12 days...be of in a copple of hours and it takes more than 5 things .... :D

1. Make sure you are not under a bridge when raising the roof.
2. Make sure there is nothing upstairs before closing the roof.
3. Make sure there is a door or window open before closing the roof.
3.1 Check that the tent material is all falling inwards towards the inside of the van whilst the roof is closing.
3.2 Stop pressing button as roof is 1/2 closed and check again as per 3.1 or the mechanism will cut the tent.
3.3 Stop pressing button as roof is 3/4 closed and check again as per 3.1 and 3.2 or the mechanism will cut the tent and bend the roof and possibly break something.
4. After closing the roof circle van and check that it is actually shut.
5. Have a nice cup of tea.

What everyone else said, especially Robo.

1. Leave AT LEAST the large side door open when closing electric roof. Check constantly that it closes inwards and folds nicely. It displaces a huge amount of air and will bellow out at the slightest opportunity - and be wrecked.

2. A bit of brightly coloured ribbon to tie on steering wheel to remind you to unplug the electric hookup before driving away. You will hear the alarm before moving off but might not know what it means! Like aircraft "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" red tags. Even more important if charging at home. Trust me.

3. Corkscrew and bottle opener (as above)

4. Pampers wipes/Wet wipes and kitchen roll. For those inevitable moments. Don't put wipes down toilets or in waste tanks on sites.

5. A sense of humour.

Have a great time! :)

5c.

If everyone waves at you and points upwards then STOP. Check roof is down. Don't do what I did in my T4 Cali and drive through northern Spain with the roof up (speeds of up to 50mph) before finally seeing our reflection in a shop window.

Mind you T4 Cali's had a very tough roof mechanism.

Back