calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Reviews of the THETFORD Porta Potti 335
Available from: Various online
Price: From £85

We have one - under the sink. We've got the base that fits it so it doesn't move about and have moved the shelf up to accomodate it. We use the potty to guarantee that the places we stay always have decent loo's nearby. So far we've never used it and don't really plan to but the day it isn't in the van will be the day the loo's on whatever site etc have been nicked or whatever...

;-)

Small, neat and sits unused ...so far, under the sink. I have just emptied it for the winter so it won't freeze up.

We also have one and have used it a couple of times.
We do not keep it under the sink as that area is too valuable for my cooking bits.
I have made made a simple square bag with handles that encloses it and makes it easily portable and extractable from lower boot space.
We do also carry a 'loo tent' (1m sq foot print, 2 m high) which can also be used as wet gear storage or solar shower cubicle, though we haven't tried that yet.
Tent was good in Scotland last year when weather was foul and we were a long way from amenities. It was inexpensive and packs very small.
Penney

We've got one, sits behind us in the passenger area when we travel and outside, by the front number plate, hopefully discreetly, on site. Used it a lot, well, I do, (must be an age thing). Only thing is it is a bit low to sit on. I think that the one you have Kev could be taller. is it a Fiamma? Might be better.
Kay has also made a cover for ours Penny, a textile cube without a base that just slips over the top. Very discreet during travel and we use it as a picnic table if we stop for a quick lunch when travelling!
It never smells, doesn't use much in the way of chemicals and you can carry the tank like a brief case when you empty it. And it has two little bottles of chemicals fixed inside the base, ready for use .
Someone said something about storing for the winter. We have found that the sliding plate between the loo and the tank should be pulled out for storage as otherwise the rubber sealing ring sticks and rips and has to be replaced. It should also be treated with Vaseline regularly (the rubber ring I mean).

Do you think they do a Porta Potti 335 Version of these for the refined Cali owner. :D

SuperStock_1570R-117159.jpg

John

Cheers Kev,
Does it fit in the boot ok?
Ours is old now, 9 years, so I might get one like yours easier to use etc etc . Have to get the Missis to make a new cover though.

Yes David slides in the boot a treat. Only comes out at night sits inbetween the turned passenger seat and bed when it's made up. Only no 1s though :thumb

For our recent trip to the Alps, I made a cover for the porta-potti out of oilcloth so that we could wild-camp and keep the thing in the van without it screaming TOILET! It is much less offensive and makes a handy table, though I don't really like to put my teacup on it.

I really don't like the idea of keeping it in the kitchen cupboard.

If you are sleeping in the roof bed, if you need to use the loo you can climb down, shut the shutter to the 'attic', and use it in privacy.

Be careful, though - the 10 litre capacity is not much once you include the water already in it and the flush, so you need to empty it whenever there's an opportunity. Leakage is not nice!

ChrisandPenney52 said:
We also have one and have used it a couple of times.
We do not keep it under the sink as that area is too valuable for my cooking bits.
I have made made a simple square bag with handles that encloses it and makes it easily portable and extractable from lower boot space.
We do also carry a 'loo tent' (1m sq foot print, 2 m high) which can also be used as wet gear storage or solar shower cubicle, though we haven't tried that yet.
Tent was good in Scotland last year when weather was foul and we were a long way from amenities. It was inexpensive and packs very small.
Penney

Loo tent is a good idea, though look for one that has a loop or hook at the apex. Solar shower however will not be useable as its too heavy for the average loo tent to support. The Ring battery shower http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive ... ery+shower
is ideal and with a bucket of warmed water, perhaps taken from the solar shower, is a great and relatively cheap solution for those wishing showering facilities and can double use for a night time toilet. Had this set up whilst camping but actually didn't bother as the site, Larmer Tree Festival, had good facilities.

Andy

Sent from an iPad using Tapatalk

We have one. I haven't fitted it under the sink yet, because we're still debating the best use of the space. The flipside is that it's living under the rear shelf, where it's harder to get at and is right under your head if you sleep downstairs. Cleaning it out takes some courage, but practice pays off here...

No smells coming from it and it is a neat little unit - ideal if you're not staying on a site or are caught short in a town. As mentioned above, capacity isn't that great and it gets heavy when filled with the recommended amount of water.

I like the way they call it "ensuite toilet & shower tent" where does one sleep ??

We just bought a Vango Kela III Low to be used as a porta loo and extended living area - there is a sort if inner area between the Awning and the van which is perfect for our newly purchased Thetford Qube 335 Porta Potti

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/low/408-kela-iii-low.html

Someone also suggested a Porta Potti cover which I have repeated here which seems good for travelling and an additional seat for guests!! Haha!

http://www.vwcamper.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p47_Calipotti-335---335-Cube.html

kela-iii-low.jpg

We have used ours a lot when we are not on campsites, keep it in the back generally, easy to empty and clean, an essential part of our van kit. usually lasts 2 - 3 days depending what you use it for. Left it in middle of the van once in the alps, forgot it was there when I got to the hairpins, porta potty ended up upside down in the back, thought it was going to be very messy but even upside down all the contents remained where they should, good seals thankfully.

Question for users. Is it ok to fill the potti with the base and flush chemicals and then store in the van. How long does it stay useable before needing to be changed if not physically used. I know it says empty every 2-3 days when in use but wondered if it lasts longer if not pooped in

Last edited:
Back