Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thought we had a good one!

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had our T6 Ocean for just under a year and although we have only done 5300 miles, the van has been virtually flawless...until this week.
150 miles into a 220 mile journey and the engine management warning light started flashing. The van was driving fine so I decided to press on to the campsite. Rang VW recovery once we were safely pitched up and they duly arranged for a technician to call the next morning. He plugged in his laptop to reveal a plethora of fault codes, however he was concerned about the EGR Sensor and the Intake Manifold Runner fault?
Because of the return journey distance, he advised against driving the van back and arranged for a replacement car and AA recovery vehicle for the end of our holiday.
Everything went according to plan and we are back home minus the van which is at our local dealers awaiting attention (have to say first class service all round).
Talking to the VW technician, it appears the EGR valve is the achilles heal of the modern Diesel engine (my 3 series had the same fault at 12 months old).
Our van is also my wife's day vehicle used during the week on 2 and 3 mile runs - the technician suggested we give the van a good 'blast' at least once a week. In my defence, if we don't go away for the weekend, I always make sure the van at least gets up to full working temp. (I even only use Shell fuel and not the Tesco stuff!) If you cannot use the van as an everyday vehicle, it kind of defeats the object - may as well get a large motor home which sits on the drive for weeks on end.
A Diesel engine is a dirty oil burner - is euro 6 a step too far?

We have had our T6 Ocean for just under a year and although we have only done 5300 miles, the van has been virtually flawless...until this week.
150 miles into a 220 mile journey and the engine management warning light started flashing. The van was driving fine so I decided to press on to the campsite. Rang VW recovery once we were safely pitched up and they duly arranged for a technician to call the next morning. He plugged in his laptop to reveal a plethora of fault codes, however he was concerned about the EGR Sensor and the Intake Manifold Runner fault?
Because of the return journey distance, he advised against driving the van back and arranged for a replacement car and AA recovery vehicle for the end of our holiday.
Everything went according to plan and we are back home minus the van which is at our local dealers awaiting attention (have to say first class service all round).
Talking to the VW technician, it appears the EGR valve is the achilles heal of the modern Diesel engine (my 3 series had the same fault at 12 months old).
Our van is also my wife's day vehicle used during the week on 2 and 3 mile runs - the technician suggested we give the van a good 'blast' at least once a week. In my defence, if we don't go away for the weekend, I always make sure the van at least gets up to full working temp. (I even only use Shell fuel and not the Tesco stuff!) If you cannot use the van as an everyday vehicle, it kind of defeats the object - may as well get a large motor home which sits on the drive for weeks on end.
That sucks! Falls into line with a great deal I've been reading on here recently. Makes me even more determined to not use the Cali for the short journeys around town. Like you say though hardly much use as a general run around.
Glad to hear you got a good service from VW.
Let us know what they say after they've had a proper look.
I was under the impression you got some sort of DPF warning, presumably not

Mike

My Dec 14 180 dsg Kombi did exactly the same after 1500 miles ( 6 weeks) things break and go wrong.
Always at the wrong time aswell, have a glass of wine and chill.

I thought (was hoping) the ad blue had meant this was a thing of the past (or at least replaced with a different set of problems).

Adblue removes the NOx efficiently. As for short journeys no diesel or petrol engine likes those. If the engine cannot get run till it is hot it causes excessive wear and a petrol engine will soon suffer too. Diesels are designed for longer journeys than 3 miles so perhaps if you went a long run of about 50 mile every week the carbon would get a chance to burn off. My Mercedes mechanic told me to make sure to use properly and no problems. Bit of a bummer if you have only one vehicle.

Have you checked under the roof seal for corrosion?
Then you will know whether you have a good'en!

That sucks! Falls into line with a great deal I've been reading on here recently. Makes me even more determined to not use the Cali for the short journeys around town. Like you say though hardly much use as a general run around.
Glad to hear you got a good service from VW.
Let us know what they say after they've had a proper look.
I was under the impression you got some sort of DPF warning, presumably not

Mike
No DPF warning for a faulty EGR, two different things.
My EGR got replaced at 900 miles due to an electrical fault in the valve. All I had was the engine light and nothing else.
Frequently, if they fail due to Carbon buildup then they jam open, and this causes problems frequently leading to " Limp Mode ". In this case @Vincent123 only mentioned the Engine Management flashing. This is more likely to be an electrical fault rather than mechanical.

Remember, the California is based on a commercial vehicle, designed for constant use and high mileage. A 2/3 mile trip is never going to get a Diesel engine upto temperature. Any Diesel engine in any vehicle. With just over 5000 miles/Year and some very short trips then this is not helpful. Even a petrol engine under similar conditions could have problems, and before you ask, yes petrol engines have EGR valves as well.

No DPF warning for a faulty EGR, two different things.
My EGR got replaced at 900 miles due to an electrical fault in the valve. All I had was the engine light and nothing else.
Frequently, if they fail due to Carbon buildup then they jam open, and this causes problems frequently leading to " Limp Mode ". In this case @Vincent123 only mentioned the Engine Management flashing. This is more likely to be an electrical fault rather than mechanical.

Remember, the California is based on a commercial vehicle, designed for constant use and high mileage. A 2/3 mile trip is never going to get a Diesel engine upto temperature. Any Diesel engine in any vehicle. With just over 5000 miles/Year and some very short trips then this is not helpful. Even a petrol engine under similar conditions could have problems, and before you ask, yes petrol engines have EGR valves as well.
I agree with your comments however in reality it is not always possible to be doing 20 - 30 mile runs every time you turn the key. My feeling is it is better to keep the vehicle moving and 'aired' then having it stood dormant for weeks on end.
Our van gets a decent run at least once a week and to be considered an everyday mode of transport should be able to cope with any kind of journey.
We previously had a 1.6 petrol Golf which covered 15,000 miles in 5 years and never once let us down.
I personally think the technology required to keep the Diesel engine within emission perameters has become unrealistic and has possibly given us a temperamental 'high maintenance' animal - not the unbreakable, go anywhere Camper.

I agree with your comments however in reality it is not always possible to be doing 20 - 30 mile runs every time you turn the key. My feeling is it is better to keep the vehicle moving and 'aired' then having it stood dormant for weeks on end.
Our van gets a decent run at least once a week and to be considered an everyday mode of transport should be able to cope with any kind of journey.
We previously had a 1.6 petrol Golf which covered 15,000 miles in 5 years and never once let us down.
I personally think the technology required to keep the Diesel engine within emission perameters has become unrealistic and has possibly given us a temperamental 'high maintenance' animal - not the unbreakable, go anywhere Camper.
Things go wrong and break. Why do you think you have a 3 year warranty. If there wasn't that slight possibility then there would be no warranty..
Your EGR had an electrical fault. Was it caused by low mileage trips, probably not. Yes modern vehicles are more complicated, certainly more so than your 5 year old petrol Golf and you can put that down to the climate change lobby.
So you have a Warranty Part fail and it's because Euro 6 Diesels are not fit for purpose.
My 2yr old SE has done over 40,000 miles in 2 years, all over the UK, Europe and Scandinavia. I think that's reasonably fit for purpose, and it's had an EGR valve replaced. So what.
You were just unlucky. Enjoy your California and just accept that things can go wrong. Long gone are the days all you needed was a hammer, adjustable spanner and some gaffa tape to fix a problem.

Last edited:

Roll on EV California so we can wave farewell to these outdated clunkers! Love our van but would change it tomorrow if an electric version with over a 100 mile range was launched. About time VW started talking to Elon Musk and dragged themselves into the future.

Roll on EV California so we can wave farewell to these outdated clunkers! Love our van but would change it tomorrow if an electric version with over a 100 mile range was launched. About time VW started talking to Elon Musk and dragged themselves into the future.
100 miles ?

100 miles ?

Hopefully more like 200 Bern. I never drive more than seventy before stopping and there are fast charging points mushrooming across Europe. Mercedes were stunned when Musk launched his latest Ev and took tens of thousands of deposited orders making it the most successful car launch ever. Most of the vehicle industry is out of step with public demand on this still pouring resources into old dirty technology. Many who do not respond will not survive. Have a gander at James Cooke on UT.

Hopefully more like 200 Bern. I never drive more than seventy before stopping and there are fast charging points mushrooming across Europe. Mercedes were stunned when Musk launched his latest Ev and took tens of thousands of deposited orders making it the most successful car launch ever. Most of the vehicle industry is out of step with public demand on this still pouring resources into old dirty technology. Many who do not respond will not survive. Have a gander at James Cooke on UT.
I would want at least 400 if not 500 mile range before I would consider All Electric and it just isn't going to happen in the next 30 years. We can't even produce enough electrical power for Industrial and domestic use let alone transport.
People seem to think that electricity is just magic out of thin air. It isn't.
And don't think that all electric cars are any more reliable than petrol/diesel. They aren't and certainly won't be when mass produced.

I would want at least 400 if not 500 mile range before I would consider All Electric and it just isn't going to happen in the next 30 years. We can't even produce enough electrical power for Industrial and domestic use let alone transport.
People seem to think that electricity is just magic out of thin air. It isn't.
And don't think that all electric cars are any more reliable than petrol/diesel. They aren't and certainly won't be when mass produced.

Typical " Tree Hugger ". Lots of Solar Power available in the Welsh Valleys today, NOT.

I read that article referred to in the video , in The Times. Probably a little too high brow for him to quote and probably wouldn't have quit the same effect.
I would suggest reading the following. Sorry, no funny videos presented by plonkers.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/electric-cars-are-not-necessarily-clean/

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/ev_emissions_impact.pdf

http://nationalgridconnecting.com/journey-of-discovery/

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-cars-mean-uk-could-need-20-new-nuclear-plants-h80zlkcmv

http://www.drax.com/energy-policy/power-and-the-rise-of-electric-cars/

Just a comment on fuel quality, I worked on a refinery for a major oil company and if you think buying Shell is a better option then I'm afraid you will be disappointed as their are only a few refineries in the country and they make petrol for any retailer, Tesco don't make fuel they buy it from whoever is offering the best price, Shell included so you can never be sure who made the fuel you buy, we would get tankers from many companies, Shell included filling at our depot.

Just a comment on fuel quality, I worked on a refinery for a major oil company and if you think buying Shell is a better option then I'm afraid you will be disappointed as their are only a few refineries in the country and they make petrol for any retailer, Tesco don't make fuel they buy it from whoever is offering the best price, Shell included so you can never be sure who made the fuel you buy, we would get tankers from many companies, Shell included filling at our depot.
If that is the case how can a company like Shell make claims like this.

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/she...tro-plus/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-diesel.html

I understand the "Base" petrol distillate will be the same.

Typical " Tree Hugger ". Lots of Solar Power available in the Welsh Valleys today, NOT.

I read that article referred to in the video , in The Times. Probably a little too high brow for him to quote and probably wouldn't have quit the same effect.
I would suggest reading the following. Sorry, no funny videos presented by plonkers.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/electric-cars-are-not-necessarily-clean/

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/ev_emissions_impact.pdf

http://nationalgridconnecting.com/journey-of-discovery/

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-cars-mean-uk-could-need-20-new-nuclear-plants-h80zlkcmv

http://www.drax.com/energy-policy/power-and-the-rise-of-electric-cars/

Don't let your mind wander. It is obviously too small to be let out on it's own!

Don't let your mind wander. It is obviously too small to be let out on it's own!
Very funny.
Pity, was going to suggest a meet-up, but single digit IQ's aren't my cup of tea.

I thought (was hoping) the ad blue had meant this was a thing of the past (or at least replaced with a different set of problems).

Agree. Surely the EGR isn't needed now that the T6 has SCR?

Back