Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone had this problem?

No I don't have a dongle whatsit but it's now on my shopping list.
No answers yet I afraid. We went to Florence yesterday and after a long drive visited two VW garages in turn. Both said they couldn't help and directed us to the next Garage. As the third option was way outside of Florence and my family were getting restless to go sight seeing, I had to abandon the quest for a answer for the time being. In the mean time our Cali is running perfectly...............touch wood.

Never mind- if you get chance, have a Campari and Orange then lunch at the Villa San Michele in Florence. https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/italy/florence/belmond-villa-san-michele/

Stunning views over the city from the veranda. I believe it’s where they filmed ‘Room with a View’.

It’s not cheap but you’ll remember it for the rest of your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind- if you get chance, have a Campari and Orange then lunch at the Villa San Michele in Florence. https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/italy/florence/belmond-villa-san-michele/

Stunning views over the city from the veranda. I believe it’s where they filmed ‘Room with a View’.

It’s not cheap but you’ll remember it for the rest of your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooooow very swanky. Now I like that very much indeed.
Unfortunately we've now done Florence and are elsewhere exploring other stunning places, otherwise we'd have paid it a visit.
Florence was rammed with tourists and there was also a big Heads of State EU meeting going on so the whole centre was awash with Caribinieri, special forces troops armed to the teeth with an assortment of nasty looking weapons along with a whole host of other supporting bods and the media of course. Still we spent the entire day seeing the sights and trying to avoid that circus. We did want to climb the Duomo but the queue stretched into the next century and cost two arms and a leg. I'd have paid it for the experience but I couldn't deal with that queue. One young man said if we paid a premium we could bypass the queue but I have never liked these sharp money making rackets. They do it at the airports as well and all so you don't need to queue but you still all end up getting on the same plane! It's just not cricket.

Brilliant city but too many bods for my country bumpkin tastes!

Last edited:
If you were going up a steep hill when it happened ......had you by any chance been doing a lot of heavy braking prior to this going down steep hills ?
I had a similar experience doing the Massif Central around Brive which has a lot of steep up and down sections ( and I was towing a large trailer ) and apparently under prolonged heavy braking the brake switch under the peddle can stick causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
When it happened to me I pulled off the autoroute asap and fiddled with the switch and restarted the van and it hasn't happened again.
As a precaution I am changing the switch before going off to France again this year.

Not saying that this is the problem just suggesting it may be worth considering ?

People with more knowledge, please correct me if this advice is incorrect.

If you were going up a steep hill when it happened ......had you by any chance been doing a lot of heavy braking prior to this going down steep hills ?
I had a similar experience doing the Massif Central around Brive which has a lot of steep up and down sections ( and I was towing a large trailer ) and apparently under prolonged heavy braking the brake switch under the peddle can stick causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
When it happened to me I pulled off the autoroute asap and fiddled with the switch and restarted the van and it hasn't happened again.
As a precaution I am changing the switch before going off to France again this year.

Not saying that this is the problem just suggesting it may be worth considering ?

People with more knowledge, please correct me if this advice is incorrect.
Interesting. We had descended from several passes whilst crossing the alps and the brakes did get some heavy use in combination with engine braking. However as the fault happened in Tuscany and the Alps were way back up the road. However I will look into this as I too have had this brake switch issue on a previous car.

Back