Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule 925 tow bar mounted bike rack

Troglodyte

Troglodyte

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
When we bought our Cali last year, we already had a Thule Bike Rack with tilt facility that had worked on our previous car. However frustratingly, it did not tilt far enough to clear the tailgate of T6 Cali. If we wanted to turn on the gas or get anything from under the parcel shelf, we had to remove both bikes and the bike rack. It is fitted to the factory fitted removable tow bar!

I looked around at other possible bike racks, but did not really want to spend 4 or £500 on a new one. Therefore with a suggestion from another owner with the same set up, I modified the rack.
In simple terms this involved cutting down the stops and adding some steel wires for additional strength.
As standard the rack tilts back perhaps 60 degrees. I modified to allow a full 90 degrees and the end result means I can now open the tailgate. It cost less than £12 for the parts. See photos F74372E0-8423-41E5-8973-2F6A5BC23FAE.jpegFDA82EB8-7D22-4CD9-AEDC-2A17BE916BF9.jpeg2E7BD57D-1E94-4C3E-A071-E07C1BA501EA.jpegBCDA811E-0E9F-4BC0-AB27-3604A03FB6D7.jpeg4532A55A-3112-44B6-A8A6-278456F1FE19.jpeg0DFF5E81-034E-4CEA-9F05-B4DC4BF2633E.jpegC7DE4AAE-1B2B-4DC9-B897-89BBA9F767CC.jpeg57C3D7F7-ECA4-4971-97F0-4FDCE6473D18.jpegF74372E0-8423-41E5-8973-2F6A5BC23FAE.jpegFDA82EB8-7D22-4CD9-AEDC-2A17BE916BF9.jpeg2E7BD57D-1E94-4C3E-A071-E07C1BA501EA.jpegBCDA811E-0E9F-4BC0-AB27-3604A03FB6D7.jpeg65C92385-F9F7-4569-8CB6-94EF17D12CE9.jpeg57C3D7F7-ECA4-4971-97F0-4FDCE6473D18.jpeg0DFF5E81-034E-4CEA-9F05-B4DC4BF2633E.jpegC7DE4AAE-1B2B-4DC9-B897-89BBA9F767CC.jpeg

4A7E848F-6304-4D31-A38B-7B520CD6DB92.jpeg

Thank you for sharing and good to know that this is possible. I have a 928 that i use with my Golf. May need to mod it like you did, before I use with the Cali. did you use some kind of a pre-fab steel wire or did you get a steel wire an cut it to size?

Ta.

Thank you for sharing and good to know that this is possible. I have a 928 that i use with my Golf. May need to mod it like you did, before I use with the Cali. did you use some kind of a pre-fab steel wire or did you get a steel wire an cut it to size?

Ta.
Hi, I just bought the parts from B&Q. and cut to size using 3mm steel wire. See parts in next photo. Also had to drill two 6mm hole to attach the lower loop of steel wire, using S/S 5mm bolt, nylon lock nut two large washers with three small ones between, to make a pivot for the loop to move around. Small amount of grease to lubricate. 2450D452-CC6B-4944-8FFD-C7C9DE5C10F9.jpeg2450D452-CC6B-4944-8FFD-C7C9DE5C10F9.jpeg

Nice job wish I had gone for a tow bar rather than tailgate mounted rack.

As I have a need for 3 bikes, I used to have a "cheap" Thule 943, but using the tailgate was non existant.
I found an end of series Atera Strada Evo3. Now with or without bikes I can open the tailgate because the bike rack slides away from the van instead of tilting in the same spot, making it still impossible to open the tailgate without adapting anything.

I don't want to start a new towbar - tailgate bike rack again, but I prefer towbar, for ease of use, and height restrictions.

Bike racks, my weak spot.

I started with a tailgate mounted Thule. Bikes were very, very close to the canoe mounted on top and I couldn’t safely lift the tailgate with two bikes on.

Then, we bought a Volvo that came with a tow bar mounted Thule bike rack. I thought goody, I can use this on my van. So I had an aftermarket Westfalia tow bar fitted to my van and sold the tailgate Thule before the Volvo was delivered.

The Volvo bike rack fits the VW, but the tailgate will not clear the rack when opening.

Next step an Atera or a similar modification outlined by the OP.

Expensive lack of planning by me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very industrious of @Troglodyte ! However after reading about his mods, I went and bought an Atera STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier - AR2603. It's a tow bar mounted 3 bike rack. I only need it for two bikes, but apparently the two bike model is now discontinued. Anyway - that's just as well because a bike in position 1 would probably catch on the tailgate.

I can happily confirm that a bike with wide handlebars in the middle position has at least a gnat's whisker of clearance to the tailgate with the Atera! So all good!

It’s good to see there are some options that work without need to modify. For me, next time perhaps.

Troglodyte
Thats interesting, as I have discovered the same frustrating problem!
Just for clarity, am I correct in thinking that cutting back the stops allows the bike rack to rotate the 90 degrees, and the stainless steel wires are there to restrain the rack from tilting further than the 90 degrees?

With the risk of being unpopular, I would be concern about a weakening of the bars due to the lock, given that they already have a hole above.
Since the rack has lights , it definitely also has a certification. But now it is a modified part, and if something happens (touch wood) a picky insurance might have an issue with that. I‘d rather attach the steel cables somewhere else.
Otherwise a great solution since i also already have a Thule 926 that might require the same mod

Troglodyte
Thats interesting, as I have discovered the same frustrating problem!
Just for clarity, am I correct in thinking that cutting back the stops allows the bike rack to rotate the 90 degrees, and the stainless steel wires are there to restrain the rack from tilting further than the 90 degrees?
Hi Trevor, someone else told me to remove the stops completely. Although this would work, it does mean the bikes rotate by over 90 degrees and then rest on the floor. I did not like this, s decided just to cut back the stops. This allows the bikes to rotate by exactly 90 degrees and lying on their sides parallel to the ground. I don't think the bikes would slip past this point as I cut the stops to measure it rested at this point, but as I am carrying 2 x Mountain e-Bikes, I decided to add the 2 Wire Ropes for belt and braces.

For me this is a good solution rather than spending several hundred pounds on another bike rack. It is a good rack in all other respects. Clearly I am aware that modifying the rack may mean I am liable if as a result, it caused an accident, but it is solid and I will regularly check for any potential issues as you should do with any piece of equipment.

Just to correct an earlier message, I used 2mm cable not 3mm!

With the risk of being unpopular, I would be concern about a weakening of the bars due to the lock, given that they already have a hole above.
Since the rack has lights , it definitely also has a certification. But now it is a modified part, and if something happens (touch wood) a picky insurance might have an issue with that. I‘d rather attach the steel cables somewhere else.
Otherwise a great solution since i also already have a Thule 926 that might require the same mod
Hi Calimii, a good point about the cables, but even modifying the stops without using a drilled cable pivot point, may be an issue in this scenario. I ma not recommending anyone else does what I have done and take no responsibility for others actions. To be honest, unless the rack actually failed, I cannot see there being an issue. I totally accept the best solution is to buy a rack tat works on the Cali rather than finding a work around.

When we bought our Cali last year, we already had a Thule Bike Rack with tilt facility that had worked on our previous car. However frustratingly, it did not tilt far enough to clear the tailgate of T6 Cali. If we wanted to turn on the gas or get anything from under the parcel shelf, we had to remove both bikes and the bike rack. It is fitted to the factory fitted removable tow bar!

I looked around at other possible bike racks, but did not really want to spend 4 or £500 on a new one. Therefore with a suggestion from another owner with the same set up, I modified the rack.
In simple terms this involved cutting down the stops and adding some steel wires for additional strength.
As standard the rack tilts back perhaps 60 degrees. I modified to allow a full 90 degrees and the end result means I can now open the tailgate. It cost less than £12 for the parts. See photos View attachment 54604View attachment 54605View attachment 54606View attachment 54607View attachment 54608View attachment 54609View attachment 54610View attachment 54613View attachment 54604View attachment 54605View attachment 54606View attachment 54607View attachment 54612View attachment 54613View attachment 54609View attachment 54610

View attachment 54611
Thanks for sharing. Great to know that I don't need to completely remove the stops and can just file them back. I did see this a coupld of years back ... so just did a Thule 925 search! I don't think I will bother about the wire (though good thinking), as I plan just rest the bikes on the Ottoman (loo) so they don't hit the ground. Or just have someone hold then for the time I need to get into the boot! Thanks for the photos - as this really is an awesome forum for all things Cali.

Back