Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket Tow Bar

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All

After replying to a thread earlier about tailgate or tow bar mounted bike carriers, I think I have talked myself in to selling my tailgate rack and having a tow bar fitted.

We have a demountable Thule on my wife's Audi which is a great piece of kit and I think Thule supplied a bespoke wiring kit but it was nearly 5 years ago so I could be wrong.

What experiences have you had with having a tow bar fitted and how would it affect the vans warranty, I'm thinking in particular about the electrics as our van does not have tow bar prep.

Any do's and don'ts from experience would be gratefully received as well as recommendations for fitters and manufacturers you have used especially in the North West.

Thanks
K

Hi All

After replying to a thread earlier about tailgate or tow bar mounted bike carriers, I think I have talked myself in to selling my tailgate rack and having a tow bar fitted.

We have a demountable Thule on my wife's Audi which is a great piece of kit and I think Thule supplied a bespoke wiring kit but it was nearly 5 years ago so I could be wrong.

What experiences have you had with having a tow bar fitted and how would it affect the vans warranty, I'm thinking in particular about the electrics as our van does not have tow bar prep.

Any do's and don'ts from experience would be gratefully received as well as recommendations for fitters and manufacturers you have used especially in the North West.

Thanks
K
As linked to by @Ch1pbutty .
The company has agents all over and even a mobile service. They're full wiring kit is designed to go under the vehicle rather than through so kitchen etc; is not touched. Plug and play into the car electrics and electronics and they can do the necessary coding required. Quite a few members have used them and some have even DIY fitted themselves.
There should be no warranty problems as they are also used by some VW dealers.

As linked to by @Ch1pbutty .
The company has agents all over and even a mobile service. They're full wiring kit is designed to go under the vehicle rather than through so kitchen etc; is not touched. Plug and play into the car electrics and electronics and they can do the necessary coding required. Quite a few members have used them and some have even DIY fitted themselves.
There should be no warranty problems as they are also used by some VW dealers.
Thank you.

My advice would be to get it in writing that the after market fit will not affect your warranty.
I went with VW fitting it and had it in writing... then when I had issues the first response was “after market fitting so not covered by warranty”...
If you have reversing camera etc then the electrics need to be wired to dash, so even if doing the less complicated route underneath the van, there are still things that can be impacted.

My advice would be to get it in writing that the after market fit will not affect your warranty.
I went with VW fitting it and had it in writing... then when I had issues the first response was “after market fitting so not covered by warranty”...
If you have reversing camera etc then the electrics need to be wired to dash, so even if doing the less complicated route underneath the van, there are still things that can be impacted.
Although I’m waiting for my VW dealer to reopen and provide me with a price, almost certainly I’ll go with them; new van, already got the tow bar prep, rear camera and warranty all lead me to this decision.

Although I’m waiting for my VW dealer to reopen and provide me with a price, almost certainly I’ll go with them; new van, already got the tow bar prep, rear camera and warranty all lead me to this decision.
If they say the kitchen has to be removed then point out the Towbar Prep socket is taped to the inside of the body panel in the region of the water filler/EHU socket. Also I believe all the Coding has already been done at the factory.

If they say the kitchen has to be removed then point out the Towbar Prep socket is taped to the inside of the body panel in the region of the water filler/EHU socket. Also I believe all the Coding has already been done at the factory.
Thank you WG.

Having the tow bar prep makes a big different. I believe @Karlos mentioned he didn’t. Then, it’s the same job as I had - hence my comment that I’d be nervous going to anyone other than VW unless I had it in writing about the warranty. Even with the prep kit, good suggestion from WG to check what they plan to do. I’d also still want something in writing about warranty though... just had too many bad experiences to be totally confident.

Received a price from VW Hereford to supply and fit a standard VW towbar; £760. Actually might be less as my Coast comes with the tow bar prep and they were looking to see if this would effect the install price.

I used pf jones to fit mine in March (mine is still under warranty). Excellent service - I didn't have the wiring prep, so they fitted everything. Took about 3 hours in my works car park.

Do you mind if ask roughly what the cost was? We are in the same position- no prep kit fitted.

I paid £623.04 from pf jones which included the 13 pin, coding and vehicle specific wiring kit. I think there is an option to use a more generic wiring kit but I wanted it as close to factory as possible.

Also worth checking if you have a reversing camera. I do, and that also complicated things.

I used these guys (See below) in 2013 to fit a detachable Westfalia bar to my 2012 Beach.
Then used them again in 2018 to fit a detachable bar to my Ocean.

No issues from them. Good job, both installs and fully coded into the ECU.
Around £500 fitted

Thanks All. Think I'm going to wait. I'm pondering if I'm going to sell my beautiful 69 plate Cali.

Thanks All. Think I'm going to wait. I'm pondering if I'm going to sell my beautiful 69 plate Cali.

Haven’t you only just bought it...?

I used these guys (See below) in 2013 to fit a detachable Westfalia bar to my 2012 Beach.
Then used them again in 2018 to fit a detachable bar to my Ocean.

No issues from them. Good job, both installs and fully coded into the ECU.
Around £500 fitted

Did you have towbar prep on either?