Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tow bar bike rack?

Which exact model of XT-3 is it? there appear to be a couple of different ones. spotting that you can use the bag and add the extra 4th bike rail & so carry a bike as well means changing my westfalia to one of these could save me some money as I wouldn't need the bike rack as well.
Just the standard Velospace XT-3. For all the 'compact'-ness of the 'Compact', you actually dont gain that much other than wheels really.

And absolutely - 4th bike rail + box is absolutely doable. For info, the XT-3 Compact ISNT compatible with the box.

Just the standard Velospace XT-3. For all the 'compact'-ness of the 'Compact', you actually dont gain that much other than wheels really.

And absolutely - 4th bike rail + box is absolutely doable. For info, the XT-3 Compact ISNT compatible with the box.
@CamperFam
Before I buy one of these, any idea if when fitted with the 4th rail & a small bike on it + the box, it will still tilt far enough to open the tailgate? or do you think the bike will hit the ground first?

@CamperFam
Before I buy one of these, any idea if when fitted with the 4th rail & a small bike on it + the box, it will still tilt far enough to open the tailgate? or do you think the bike will hit the ground first?
I dont think it'll be an issue, but that's simply an opinion, not based on fact. I dont have a 4th rail to try it out i'm afraid.

I dont believe there'd be issues though on clearance. If the bike were to hit the ground, it would likely be the 4th rail that hit first, not the bike - but I believe there'd be enough clearance for it.But again - assumption/opinion, not fact.

@CamperFam
Not sure if it'll allow the tailgate to open, but if the box is full, I hope you've been working out, it'll be heavy!

Not sure if it'll allow the tailgate to open, but if the box is full, I hope you've been working out, it'll be heavy!
Shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

Keep in mind, the max weight is 60-kg inc the rack. Once you take some of the rack's weight out, you're looking at 45kg ABSOLUTE MAX that you're simple 'pushing' along a sliding rail. In truth, you'd never really hit 45kg, as the idea of the box is for bulky lightweight items.

Couple of body boards, wetsuits, levelling chocks & wet groundsheets are the likely contents. Basically anything dirty / sandy that I don't really want in the van.
So am looking for volume rather than weight. + the ability to carry a bike without needing a tailgate rack. Comes out over £1000 for all the bits so needs careful consideration.

Also does the box block the rear view camera?

Couple of body boards, wetsuits, levelling chocks & wet groundsheets are the likely contents. Basically anything dirty / sandy that I don't really want in the van.
So am looking for volume rather than weight. + the ability to carry a bike without needing a tailgate rack. Comes out over £1000 for all the bits so needs careful consideration.

Also does the box block the rear view camera?
Blocks the camera.

I have a pro user diamanté sg2 plus
Must be the plus version to alw tailgate to open but good quality bought nearly a year ago and first time using this weekend with 2 heavy ebikes

A89533C3-968E-41AF-B4A7-071AFF1F7758.jpeg

Last edited:
These are great for wet/Sandy gear. You roll the top a couple of time + then compress the air out so can get a lot in each:

I have a pro user diamanté sg2 plus
Must be the plus version to alw tailgate to open but good quality bought nearly a year ago and first time using this weekend with 2 heavy ebikes

View attachment 80616
We have the same. Just returned from a week cycling in the Peak District with two bikes. Rack performed as expected, very happy with it.

We have a Atera Strada DL3 from Roof Box Company. Worked very well but it take take a little while to work out which order to do things. We were able to open the rear door on a T5.
Barbara, what's the locking like with the Strada DL3? Do you feel like it's really securely locked to the tow bar and also the bikes to the rack itself?

Just for reference, regardless of chosen bike rack if the towbar electrics are unplugged when the van is locked, the vehicle alarm will go off (and if you have WeConnect you get a message on your phone).

Barbara, what's the locking like with the Strada DL3? Do you feel like it's really securely locked to the tow bar and also the bikes to the rack itself?
We are very pleased with it, you need to practice a bit as to where the bikes and arms are. Rack is locked to tow bar and the bikes looked to the arms. We have even left the bikes on at a hotel overnight. It was reversed into bushes as added projection but we were happy to leave the bikes on. I have put a picture which you may be able to enlarge to see the locks.

IMG_20201018_131601_1.jpg

We are very pleased with it, you need to practice a bit as to where the bikes and arms are. Rack is locked to tow bar and the bikes looked to the arms. We have even left the bikes on at a hotel overnight. It was reversed into bushes as added projection but we were happy to leave the bikes on. I have put a picture which you may be able to enlarge to see the locks.
Thanks! Not sure I can but I guess my main question is what does Atera provide keys for? Is it just the rack onto the tow bar handle or do the bike frame arms also have lock and key? I've found very clear videos with all the different locks within the Thule velospace racks but wasn't clear what locks for the strada DL3 so would realy appreciate knowing as I'm leaning towards it unless the security isn't as good...
Really helpful to know about the alarms though @GrumpyGranddad - thank you!!

Thanks! Not sure I can but I guess my main question is what does Atera provide keys for? Is it just the rack onto the tow bar handle or do the bike frame arms also have lock and key? I've found very clear videos with all the different locks within the Thule velospace racks but wasn't clear what locks for the strada DL3 so would realy appreciate knowing as I'm leaning towards it unless the security isn't as good...
Really helpful to know about the alarms though @GrumpyGranddad - thank you!!
The same key is for both the arms and the fixing to the tow ball. If you look at the picture the stapes could be cut if someone really wants your bike. The stapes are not very robust. Our bikes are not that fancy so not so likely to be targeted. You could always add additional cables with locks if you have expensive bikes. When at a campsite with just my own bike and no rack ( I travel with the bike inside) I secure by bike on site to the tow ring under the van with my husband motorcycle chain and pad lock.

The same key is for both the arms and the fixing to the tow ball. If you look at the picture the stapes could be cut if someone really wants your bike. The stapes are not very robust. Our bikes are not that fancy so not so likely to be targeted. You could always add additional cables with locks if you have expensive bikes. When at a campsite with just my own bike and no rack ( I travel with the bike inside) I secure by bike on site to the tow ring under the van with my husband motorcycle chain and pad lock.
Super helpful thanks!

For those promoting the Altea Genio Pro, can you confirm that the recall issue has now been addressed? I notice they are available again on www.roofbox.co.uk
I notice from the video on-line, that the tilt angle shows as 55-80 degrees. I assume this is either 55 or 80 (i.e. not variable in between)? At 80 degrees tilt, with bikes on rack, do the bikes touch the ground?

I was settled on the Thule VeloSpace XT3 with 70 degree tilt angle, but that is a bit larger/heavier and doesn't fold up. Based on your feedback, the Altea Genio Pro may be the solution I'm looking for.

TIA for your guidance/experience.

Does anyone have the Thule Velospace XT2 938 2 towing bike rack for 2 bikes, with the Velospace luggage carrier, mounted on the factory fitted removable hitch, with the VW 4 bike tail rack above. Is there sufficient clearance for the rack to be in the down position. I’ve attached a picture of what I need to achieve. Large bulky, but light items in luggage carrier with kids bikes above. We can also just use the lower rack on occasions for two electric bikes. ED39A86E-E106-49F5-AFCD-11004DCD1F61.jpeg

I have a westfalia BC 60 - folds up very small & we have the matching optional luggage box.

I haven't tried it on the T6.1 yet & need to as the towbar looks to be different & a couple of mm less projection than on the old van may stop the boot opening.

View attachment 72868
Hi did you try on your Cali and did it fit ?

Does anyone have the Thule Velospace XT2 938 2 towing bike rack for 2 bikes, with the Velospace luggage carrier, mounted on the factory fitted removable hitch, with the VW 4 bike tail rack above. Is there sufficient clearance for the rack to be in the down position. I’ve attached a picture of what I need to achieve. Large bulky, but light items in luggage carrier with kids bikes above. We can also just use the lower rack on occasions for two electric bikes. View attachment 94817
Wow…..thats a lot of stuff..

For those promoting the Altea Genio Pro, can you confirm that the recall issue has now been addressed? I notice they are available again on www.roofbox.co.uk
I notice from the video on-line, that the tilt angle shows as 55-80 degrees. I assume this is either 55 or 80 (i.e. not variable in between)? At 80 degrees tilt, with bikes on rack, do the bikes touch the ground?

I was settled on the Thule VeloSpace XT3 with 70 degree tilt angle, but that is a bit larger/heavier and doesn't fold up. Based on your feedback, the Altea Genio Pro may be the solution I'm looking for.

TIA for your guidance/experience.
Sorry, missed this first time, perhaps too late now.

It’s 80 only on the California. 55 and the boot won’t clear. The extra is achieved by the addition of a pair of steel cables in to the mechanism. There’s no way without manually holding it, to stop it at another angle. In any event at 80 the boot clears by at most 5mm. Which means you have to be particular when putting it on the tow ball, making sure the upright is vertical, and the rack is parallel to the van. First boot opening after fitting is one to take your time over.

With three bikes on, the outside bike is just clear of the floor on perfectly flat ground. If there’s any kind of rise behind you that will mean contact with the floor. With two bikes on there’s some room to allow for a bit of a rise behind you.