Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Rain Blocker Sides - Install?

Shane Bennett

Shane Bennett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone actually installed the Thule Rain Blockder sides on a T6 factory awning? The parts that come with sides appear to already be installed on the bar attached to the van.

The Thule videos do not match the awning setup and the instructions are rubbish. They seem to be nice panels and I hate to return them but there does seem to be a disconnect between the instructions and the VW awning.

I have a T5 and I know what you mean with regards to the instructions .
It comes with several different parts and some I used but others we're for other set-up as it's a universal fitting kit.

Here is some pics showing how I fitted mine. I used the kit and some parts as you say are already present to have the option of using right or left side.

Did have to drill a hole on each side.

View attachment 38436

View attachment 38437

View attachment 38438

View attachment 38439

View attachment 38440
I also fitted the kit as Alform did, works well in most conditions, I use a Fiamma curved rafter to help the water drain from the awning better. Ensure the rear blocker is positioned on its track just clear of the sliding door when it opens.

I have a T5 and I know what you mean with regards to the instructions .
It comes with several different parts and some I used but others we're for other set-up as it's a universal fitting kit.

Here is some pics showing how I fitted mine. I used the kit and some parts as you say are already present to have the option of using right or left side.

Did have to drill a hole on each side.

Thank you! That is very helpful. Could you post a picture of how the arms mount into the brackets that are attched to the van side. In my awning I already have that large metal block installed, I'm just not sure how the arm attaches to that bit. It seems like the plastic brackets increase the length too much to install it. My assumption was the circular end of the spring side of the arm would just go over that bolt, or is there another mount on the arm?

Thanks again for your help.

I also fitted the kit as Alform did, works well in most conditions, I use a Fiamma curved rafter to help the water drain from the awning better. Ensure the rear blocker is positioned on its track just clear of the sliding door when it opens.

Great advice thank you I'll make sure to check that.

So it does just rest on that bolt. Ok it seems like it should do more, I guess I'm over thinking it.

Thanks a ton for the images I think I have it now. Virtual beer incoming.........

vr-beer.jpg

Hi any chance of reloading your pics please, as I cant get them to open from someone else’s reply. Have some idea of how the g2 panel carrier rail should fit, but would be good to see if I have got it right. Seems odd they supply so many different types of fittings. Thanks in advance.

Hi any chance of reloading your pics please, as I cant get them to open from someone else’s reply. Have some idea of how the g2 panel carrier rail should fit, but would be good to see if I have got it right. Seems odd they supply so many different types of fittings. Thanks in advance.
Sorry I no longer have the pictures .....or the van sorry . From what I remember it was inserting an aluminium block in the rail

Sorry I no longer have the pictures .....or the van sorry . From what I remember it was inserting an aluminium block in the rail
Thanks anyway. I guessed I had to use the Aluminium block, but can’t get my head round the plastic end of the rail just going over the bolt head, seems rather crude, considering how well engineered the rest of it seems to be. Guess I’ll have to fabricate a better solution.

Does this help in anyway? Sold mine however as far as I remember you just squeez/push the metal rail.
335e455ea9bdeb886c31a5ee4c159cd4.jpg

9e6d3ec7076116a3fccc2eab3b40d01b.jpg

a4d5b1b6617ce0c267df40215495f009.jpg

d4fdfb60ad9d152c7b64f12024ea3ff7.jpg

Or here:

Does this help in anyway? Sold mine however as far as I remember you just squeez/push the metal rail.
335e455ea9bdeb886c31a5ee4c159cd4.jpg

9e6d3ec7076116a3fccc2eab3b40d01b.jpg

a4d5b1b6617ce0c267df40215495f009.jpg

d4fdfb60ad9d152c7b64f12024ea3ff7.jpg

Or here:

Thanks Sapto, fortunately I think I have solved the problem, we just need to take a trip & try it out.

Thanks anyway. I guessed I had to use the Aluminium block, but can’t get my head round the plastic end of the rail just going over the bolt head, seems rather crude, considering how well engineered the rest of it seems to be. Guess I’ll have to fabricate a better solution.
Hi!
Just taken delivery of my 6.1 with factory-fit awning (5102) and looking to fit the Thule rain blocker side panels. Like your response, I'm bemused at the apparent inelegant solution of the plastic end of the rail going over the bolt head! Especially compared to the green plastic fittings for other types of awning.
Can I ask, did you find another solution or does it work OK with using the bolt head?
Thanks, Alwyn

Hi!
Just taken delivery of my 6.1 with factory-fit awning (5102) and looking to fit the Thule rain blocker side panels. Like your response, I'm bemused at the apparent inelegant solution of the plastic end of the rail going over the bolt head! Especially compared to the green plastic fittings for other types of awning.
Can I ask, did you find another solution or does it work OK with using the bolt head?
Thanks, Alwyn
Ours have been very successful, we have the full set which makes a decent room for outside cooking etc.

Ours have been very successful, we have the full set which makes a decent room for outside cooking etc.
Good to hear you find the panels work well for you.
I've bought 2 side panels, 1 front and a front sun blocker. Looking forward to the flexibility and relative ease of putting in place ... once I've sussed out the connection of the side-panel support struts to the van side of the awning!!

Hi!
Thanks, Alwyn
Hi Alwyn,
My solution is fairly simple, & upto now, works very well. In a nut shell, trim down a 10mm quarter inch drive socket at the ratchet insert end so it fits reasonably flush with end of plastic recess on pole end. Abrade side of socket for increased adhesion, insert into centre of pole end, fill gap around socket & pole end with either jet melt or araldite, (I used jet melt for its flexibility).Finally I drilled through each side & inserted two small pk screws, these were added as my belt & braces, to prevent socket pulling out. The positionimg of the sockets rotation before bonding does not matter,as the plastic pole end rotates for alignment purposes. Pics included. Whole project took half hour once components sourced.
Hope this is of some help.

6402D408-5B7F-4522-AEFF-CC9C3F1745EB.jpeg

835549C6-CBAE-412B-B72E-1DF419C52F4F.jpeg

Hi Alwyn,
My solution is fairly simple, & upto now, works very well. In a nut shell, trim down a 10mm quarter inch drive socket at the ratchet insert end so it fits reasonably flush with end of plastic recess on pole end. Abrade side of socket for increased adhesion, insert into centre of pole end, fill gap around socket & pole end with either jet melt or araldite, (I used jet melt for its flexibility).Finally I drilled through each side & inserted two small pk screws, these were added as my belt & braces, to prevent socket pulling out. The positionimg of the sockets rotation before bonding does not matter,as the plastic pole end rotates for alignment purposes. Pics included. Whole project took half hour once components sourced.
Hope this is of some help.

View attachment 79532

View attachment 79533
That's great, thank you.
So you're using the bolt heads as anchor points but have created a better fit around the bolts?

That's great, thank you.
So you're using the bolt heads as anchor points but have created a better fit around the bolts?
Exactly, & as I said it works very well so far, prevents any chatter in windy conditions.

That's really useful, thanks .

I was thinking of using trusty cable ties to secure each time!
Crazy really, given the otherwise high quality of all the other parts provided by Thule!!

Like everyone else here, I was completely bemused by the idea of using the bolt heads to rest the plastic end of the poles on, but in fact, once connected and the awning wound in a touch so that it is completely taut, the system seems to work fine and has coped well with some windy days on site.

Given that VW Californias are the biggest selling campervans, you would have thought that Thule would have sorted this out by now, but the instructions and the kit are rubbish.

Once up however, the rainblocker sides give lots of protection.