Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Residence G3 - my (user) review

bvirc

bvirc

The limited space in our Calis is one of the most common issues. I was checking and considering various options and at the end bought the Thule Residence G3.
The model Residence G3 5102 is custom made for the VW awning (Thule 5102) and is the most sophisticated solution on the market.
It offers a an excellent space for cooking, lounging, drying clothes, PortaPotti, storing. The best part is that it is sealed enough to be a mosquito free space (with integrated mosquito nets) and in winter you can effectively heat it up with the Cali aux heater!
Comparing to other solutions it uses the whole width of the awning. There are two heavy-duty ALU traverses that along with a system of pegs make a rigid and stable tent. Thule guarantees that you can use it in wind up to 6 bfs (up to 49 km/h) which is much more than most of the typical camping tents. Thule Hold Down Side Strap kit is an obligatory accessory.
And the Residence is waterproof in most situations. This makes a nice and cosy winter garden with big windows.
However, there are downsides... It is expensive. It is heavy and bulky - it doesn't fit in the Cali's trunk. It is recommended to take heavy pegs out of the bag and put it in the roof box. The first setup needs some drilling and sawing, so I asked the dealer to do it.
After you get used to it, the basic setup takes around 20 minutes, but if you want to install all pegs, it takes cca. 10 minutes more.
For one night stands the setup may be too time consuming.
And after you setup everything, you will not even think to move the Cali for possible daily trips or shopping...
All in all - it is an excellent awning tent with mentioned limitations. And it is easier to setup than drive-away awnings.
PB113292.JPG
PB113297.JPG
PB113289.JPG
PB113291.JPG
PB123344.JPG

The limited space in our Calis is one of the most common issues. I was checking and considering various options and at the end bought the Thule Residence G3.
The model Residence G3 5102 is custom made for the VW awning (Thule 5102) and is the most sophisticated solution on the market.
It offers a an excellent space for cooking, lounging, drying clothes, PortaPotti, storing. The best part is that it is sealed enough to be a mosquito free space (with integrated mosquito nets) and in winter you can effectively heat it up with the Cali aux heater!
Comparing to other solutions it uses the whole width of the awning. There are two heavy-duty ALU traverses that along with a system of pegs make a rigid and stable tent. Thule guarantees that you can use it in wind up to 6 bfs (up to 49 km/h) which is much more than most of the typical camping tents. Thule Hold Down Side Strap kit is an obligatory accessory.
And the Residence is waterproof in most situations. This makes a nice and cosy winter garden with big windows.
However, there are downsides... It is expensive. It is heavy and bulky - it doesn't fit in the Cali's trunk. It is recommended to take heavy pegs out of the bag and put it in the roof box. The first setup needs some drilling and sawing, so I asked the dealer to do it.
After you get used to it, the basic setup takes around 20 minutes, but if you want to install all pegs, it takes cca. 10 minutes more.
And after you setup everything, you will not even think to move the Cali for possible daily trips or shopping...
All in all - it is an excellent awning tent with mentioned limitations. And it is easier to setup than drive-away awnings.
View attachment 27587
View attachment 27586
View attachment 27589
View attachment 27588
View attachment 27585
Thanks for the comprehensive information. Really interesting. Not sure about using the auxiliary heater with it, though. I’d be concerned about the fumes.

Thanks for the comprehensive information. Really interesting. Not sure about using the auxiliary heater with it, though. I’d be concerned about the fumes.

We occasionally use exactly the same set up,
4th picture down shows a baffle has been fitted to keep most of the draught & fumes from coming into the awning. I don't worry about it but we don't have anyone sleeping in the awning.

It is heavy and bulky - it doesn't fit in the Cali's trunk. It is recommended to take heavy pegs out of the bag and put it in the roof box. The first setup needs some drilling and sawing, so I asked the dealer to do it.
Great review, thanks. Do you have any photos of it when it is packed away? It would be useful to see how big it is.

Hi,
Yeah, that is expensive...you said it's bulky. Do you have a picture of what it looks like packed up?

Hello, looks great ! I can see the way its made it cost a bit, but it seems good quality. What about heavy rain ? Do you still have to put one leg down or ...? Regards frank

It works well even in the heavy rain, but you have to put one leg down, of course.

I used my G2 this weekend in torrential rain. Found that I didn’t need to put a leg down whilst using a curved rafter.

Are you still Happy? Looking at this for our 6.1 coast

View attachment 27587
View attachment 27586
View attachment 27589
View attachment 27588
View attachment 27585
Shame about the high price !