Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Side Panel Attachment

SteveH

SteveH

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone ever added aThule side panel to the factory awning? The attachment of the supplied support bar seems to rest directly on the top of the bolt head that clamps the bracket to the awning at the van end (1). Surely this can't be correct. All other awning models use a bracket that fits in a proper manner the way the end away from the van does (2).

Thule_Side_Panel_Attachment.png

Thanks Simon. Unfortunately the video (and all others I've seen) show the caravan version of the fitment whereas the 5102 (factory fitted) awning is the only one with the awful arrangement shown above. Maybe I will just have to figure something out because I like the rest of the setup.

Thanks Simon. Unfortunately the video (and all others I've seen) show the caravan version of the fitment whereas the 5102 (factory fitted) awning is the only one with the awful arrangement shown above. Maybe I will just have to figure something out because I like the rest of the setup.
We agree, we have just spent the afternoon trying to work out if this really is the proper set up. Having put the whole thing together and tightened the tension it seems to be really robust. We might just "fashion" something to make the join feel more sturdy though.

We agree, we have just spent the afternoon trying to work out if this really is the proper set up. Having put the whole thing together and tightened the tension it seems to be really robust. We might just "fashion" something to make the join feel more sturdy though.
Hi PudnBob.
I have just purchased the G2 side panels also, and the instructions are not that great. The kits comes with a large Aluminium extruded part that according to the instructions is fitted to the main awning rail and the support bar hangs on the bolt. Looks like the black cups go on the outer side of the awning cover rail. Not sure what goes on the rear of the main rail and if the green plastic part is mounted to the support rail and then hangs on the other green plastic part that has a double sided tape fitting. Don’t suppose you have any pictures of the inner and outer fittings on the rails that you have used ? Many thanks Nick.

Hi PudnBob.
I have just purchased the G2 side panels also, and the instructions are not that great. The kits comes with a large Aluminium extruded part that according to the instructions is fitted to the main awning rail and the support bar hangs on the bolt. Looks like the black cups go on the outer side of the awning cover rail. Not sure what goes on the rear of the main rail and if the green plastic part is mounted to the support rail and then hangs on the other green plastic part that has a double sided tape fitting. Don’t suppose you have any pictures of the inner and outer fittings on the rails that you have used ? Many thanks Nick.
The extra parts included in the kit are not used on the Cali awning, just the semi circular plastic cups screwed on the inner parts of awning cover rail and the bracket at the front of the van part of the main frame as shown in the diagram posted above. The rear rail just secures on the existing projecting machine screw at the rear bracket.
In practice you just extend the awning fully until the fabric goes slack and fit the rails, then re tension the fabric to secure the rails. This has worked fine over the three years I have had these side panels withstanding quite strong winds/heavy rain. I secure the base of the legs with decent pegs and tension ropes to the tops again to substantial pegs. Always lower one of the legs to ensure rain drains away if left up.

The extra parts included in the kit are not used on the Cali awning, just the semi circular plastic cups screwed on the inner parts of awning cover rail and the bracket at the front of the van part of the main frame as shown in the diagram posted above. The rear rail just secures on the existing projecting machine screw at the rear bracket.
In practice you just extend the awning fully until the fabric goes slack and fit the rails, then re tension the fabric to secure the rails. This has worked fine over the three years I have had these side panels withstanding quite strong winds/heavy rain. I secure the base of the legs with decent pegs and tension ropes to the tops again to substantial pegs. Always lower one of the legs to ensure rain drains away if left up.
Hi and many thanks for the reply and info. So the front bracket is the large aluminium one fitted on the inner header rail. Do you use the same bracket on for rear as well ? Understand the plastic cups on the outer rail thank you. Nick.

Hi and many thanks for the reply and info. So the front bracket is the large aluminium one fitted on the inner header rail. Do you use the same bracket on for rear as well ? Understand the plastic cups on the outer rail thank you. Nick.
Sorry blooming predictive text. Do I use the same aluminium bracket for the rear as well that is used for the front ? I have two kits/two side panels and both include the aluminium bracket and cups and self tapping screws. Thanks again for the help. Nick.

Sorry blooming predictive text. Do I use the same aluminium bracket for the rear as well that is used for the front ? I have two kits/two side panels and both include the aluminium bracket and cups and self tapping screws. Thanks again for the help. Nick.
Ah ha just re read your message and NOW it makes sense. Use the existing bolt on the rear. Many thanks. Nick.

Hi PudnBob.
Hi Nick
Can send pics on Monday if that’s ok

Hi there, that would be great thank you. One more thing, when you connect the side and front panels to the awning legs, can you use one smart connector ? The holes on the front and side panels and do not line up and I have use 1 long connector for each hole, the standard short smart connectors are much too short and pretty useless. I will try and post a picture. Any help on how yours went would be very useful thanks. Nick.

16E2B917-1F40-4AD3-B02B-56BE336A4EC0.jpeg

6F0BCFC2-FC5D-45AC-B453-920863AD642D.jpeg

If I use one XL connector for each hold on the panels all is well, but the kits only have four so I need another four of the XL ones. Nick n

2E585DD1-7B1E-4C21-B60D-492CD6C57336.jpeg

Has anyone ever added aThule side panel to the factory awning? The attachment of the supplied support bar seems to rest directly on the top of the bolt head that clamps the bracket to the awning at the van end (1). Surely this can't be correct. All other awning models use a bracket that fits in a proper manner the way the end away from the van does (2).

View attachment 24660
Hi,
Ever get an answer to this (Re: side bar attachment to van)? I'm in the exact same quandary now(!). Many thanks, Mike

Hi,
Ever get an answer to this (Re: side bar attachment to van)? I'm in the exact same quandary now(!). Many thanks, Mike
I came to the conclusion that this is the way it works. Not a very good design but it never came off so I guess that means it's fit for purpose.

Back