Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To buy or not to buy that is the question

R

robert bryant

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi there everyone,
I would really appreciate some advice. I'm currently in Germany about to purchase a VW California 2004 manual transition, 2.5 130 bhp with 181,000km (around 112,000 miles) on the clock. It's seems like it's in good overall condition and I have had it inspected by a VW dealer who only found minor problems, rear brake pads and disks need replacing and the automatic air con sensor has failed.

It's had one owner from new and has full service history. I have agreed with the dealer on a price of 25k euros (so just under £20,000). I'd like to register it in the uk, use it in Europe and then sell it again.
My question is being an inexperienced Cali buyer, am I getting a good deal?

I know it's a bit of a vage question but has anyone sold a van of this model and milage before and what did you get for it?

Also if there anything I should be carefully of on a van of this age.

Any advice on this will be so so appreciated as I'm very inexperienced on this whole thing.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

At 2004 it's earlier than UK RHD Cali's, so it's not possible to make a direct comparison. I think it is therefore best to compare against German prices.
A T5 Cali at £20k is a very rare beast in the UK. I think I've seen one, and it was very grubby. I don't think you'll go far wrong. T4 Westfalia Cali's still make the high teens and they are LHD.
I understand that the costs / hassle of importing and registering have increased so make sure you know what that process involves.
It sounds a nice van. I doubt you'll regret it!

Thanks T4WFA,

That does raise another question though. If the 2004 model is earlier the RHD Cali's, does that mean I won't be able to purchase UK spec head lights and speedo for the registration process?

This could be a big problem if not.

I think you will be OK. I don't think anything changed it that few years, just VW's willingness to build a rhd Cali version. The T5 van itself was available in the UK in 04, just not the Cali. I suspect those lights will fit, if not or they are the wrong spec, Cali lights for the first UK model should fit.
Others here will back-up or contradict my logic shortly!

Well thanks guys that's cleared up some of my worries.
Now for the big purchase tmrw and the drive home.
Cheers again