Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to buy a 2006 Cali

J

JamesG

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advise with regard to the purchase of a 2006 California SE.

The van in question is a 2006 T5 2.5 178bhp DSG with around 60k on the clock and apparently all the options apart from parking sensors. Full VW service history is also there.

The seller did mention that the tax was around £200, and with a bit of research early models were £290 for 12 months, so that does stack up.

From some pictures I can see headlamp washers. Does this mean it has Xenon headlights?

Has anybody got a link to a 2006 brouchure? I would like to look at some of the options that were available for that year.

and lastly.........the price. £28k for that year seems a bit over priced, or am I a bit too tight?

My wife and I have fallen in love with the dream of owning a VW camper ever since we hired one for our 2 week honeymoon driving around Scotland. We now have our beautiful 10 week old daughter, and we really like the idea of family camper holidays.

Any help would be a step towards our dream

Hi and welcome. I cannot say much about this model etc as I do not own an SE, however, all I will say is look with your head not your heart. There is a sellers market out there at the moment with the last of the T5 and a wait for the T6. Lots of info on that around the forums. Do your research and don't rush in. 28K does sound a lot but for the right spec and condition, it could be a fair price. Take your time and if things don't add up (tax as you have mentioned) walk away. There will always be another one.

I'm not sure i'd buy such an old DSG as could be an expensive repair, £28k sounds a little strong, around £26k would be more realistic.

That said, Cali's are hard to find around that price so there's always compromise.

CaliKev is correct. Auto boxes at that stage were Tiptronic not DSG. £26k is a good number for it.

The market has got a bit excited in the last 6 weeks, but remember you'll have no roof rot protection on an early Cali.

If you could cope with left hand drive, I'd have a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Califo...907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2353c21dd3
which is a very nice 150hp example of the T4 Cali. These interiors are bulletproof (and simple) vs the current Cali , and this will always be a very sought after model. (But then I would say that wouldn't I.......).
Surprisingly it didn't sell at £19500 last week, so a deal could be had.
Manual and non-rotting roof (+ve once out of warranty), almost 'classic' status already. Most would say they have stopped depreciating. Extra (optional) seats too.

This rotting roof thing really worries me. Yes it looks like it is a tiptronic (not so keen on this).

I've also been looking at Teahupoo Vans. I know they are conversions, but they look pretty good for the money and the hire van conversion I used before was very acceptable.

Have a close look at the roof as you know about it. If there is rot there then walk away.
The Tiptronic auto box is good, just not as smooth and the DSG. T5 with autos were always T30 model at that age. so the slightly more powerful model.

Isn't the roof just cosmetic?

Some may accept it and live with it.

Yes that is a option. Though I would not say the roof is cosmetic, but somewhat vital.

Once the corrosion gets a hold it won't get any better unless treated. Only worse over time resulting, in this case, with increasingly large patches of white powdery corroded alloy to be seen every time you approach the van. Eventually, maybe in years, it will corrode through, as the metal is being eaten away.

That may or may not be a issue to the owner, but will reduce the resale value in due course.

Alan

Re roof, unlike steel, when aluminium corrodes the oxide forms a protective layer which prevents any further corrosion. So it will never rot through; it will be cosmetic.

Morgan sports cars have a similar problem, but it doesn't seem to affect the residual values of the older ones.

If you could cope with left hand drive, I'd have a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Califo...907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2353c21dd3
which is a very nice 150hp example of the T4 Cali. These interiors are bulletproof (and simple) vs the current Cali , and this will always be a very sought after model. (But then I would say that wouldn't I.......).
Surprisingly it didn't sell at £19500 last week, so a deal could be had.
Manual and non-rotting roof (+ve once out of warranty), almost 'classic' status already. Most would say they have stopped depreciating. Extra (optional) seats too.
What are the roofs made of on these models?

The roofs are some form of plastic. It is a good finish on the outside, and holds on a good finish on the paint. It may be GRP, (Fibreglass). I'm not sure why VW went for Aluminium. I guess it is no lighter than plastic so must have been a strength issue (?)...trying to maintain the integrity of the shell with a big hole cut in the roof. Or perhaps 'because they could' and no body else could....

Land Rover Defenders, and their predecessors since 1947, are made using Aluminium alloy body panels and 70% of those manufactured are still in use. They suffer this problem but they still shoulder on. The chassis may rot, it is steel and rusts and can be replaced, but virtually all the body panels keep going.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advise with regard to the purchase of a 2006 California SE.

The van in question is a 2006 T5 2.5 178bhp DSG with around 60k on the clock and apparently all the options apart from parking sensors. Full VW service history is also there.

The seller did mention that the tax was around £200, and with a bit of research early models were £290 for 12 months, so that does stack up.

From some pictures I can see headlamp washers. Does this mean it has Xenon headlights?

Has anybody got a link to a 2006 brouchure? I would like to look at some of the options that were available for that year.

and lastly.........the price. £28k for that year seems a bit over priced, or am I a bit too tight?

My wife and I have fallen in love with the dream of owning a VW camper ever since we hired one for our 2 week honeymoon driving around Scotland. We now have our beautiful 10 week old daughter, and we really like the idea of family camper holidays.

Any help would be a step towards our dream
Seems expensive to me, another one will be along shortly. Don't rush such a big purchase.

We got LHD Cali 3 years ago 60k, all extras including headlamp wash, Sat Nav parking sensors, 2.5 174bhp tiptronic for £27k. We found RHD more expensive in UK as more desirable. We have 90k miles on the clock and only a tiny bit of roof rust, it's not an eyesore and as highlighted by others the fact that it's Ali means it's unlikely to hole. At the end of the day it's often about your budget.

My biased view is that the Cali looks smarter than any conversion and all its features deliver value for money. We got ours from Bilbo so had a good warranty on it. Provided you're happy with the Service history I'd go for it.

Hi. I was interested to see your post, I am a new owner having bought a 2006 cali 174 manual at Easter with 36k on the clock. It was a little bit more from a dealer who gave us a very generous px and a years warranty.
I love it & we haven't looked back since, I guess if you plan to keep it for a good few years with a service history it softens the cost!