Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

what spec of California to buy for best resale value?

M

Monty's van

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

Would be most grateful for some advice for a total newbie here please...

We've had a T5 conversion for the last 18 months and absolutely loved it. However, following a good year at work, we're in a happy position to be able to upgrade - and a California is definitely what we're after...

So, now seems like a ripe time of year to bag a good deal, but we're still unsure what age of van to go for, or what spec...

Think our prime question is, if keeping it's value were the primary concern (happy to spend what it takes as long as we'll not be losing out when we come to sell), what spec / age / mileage / cost should we buy at, and then sell at, and at what mileage?

We'd not so fussy about the spec - only small things we're fussed about are e a detachable towbar (for bike rack) and sat nav incorported with the radio - and ideally a dark colour. Any other things we should make sure to have, even if not necessarily for us, but for resale value?

Any advice enormously appreciated!
Many thanks

Always a tricky question; for the car, there was an official GFV list so I could tell which options held money and which didn't making life easier. I don't think there's one for Cali.

A 4motion is always an easy sale so worth it if you don't like FWD.
Climate is expensive but pretty handy.
Privacy glass is fairly essential IMO.
Other than that, the satnav is a good idea but they all date quickly and get one under warranty in case it's like ours and needs new bits replacing.
Mileage depends on budget but there are loads of low milers around (we're on 23k at three years old).

Don't stress yourself on this issue.
Buy a Cali that fits your needs not what you think other people may or may not need in the future.
Californias are complicated enough without a lot of other added things to go wrong.

snowy55 said:
Don't stress yourself on this issue.
Buy a Cali that fits your needs not what you think other people may or may not need in the future.
Californias are complicated enough without a lot of other added things to go wrong.

I have to agree with this too. They do come with plenty as standard TBH.
We seem to live in an age where everyone "must have" every option; I've never bought this. Ours has plenty of extras but none (except 4motion) are essential to us; don't forget that you need a fair bit for post purchase comfort; mattress topper, roof cover, etc.

Essentials (which most come with) I think are:

Privacy Glass (or get this done after)
Awning
Parking Sensors

Arguably for me certainly the 3 Zone Climatronic Air Conditioning was a must.

Also the colour choice, the safe colours sell easier from what I've seen, so Grey, Black, Silver etc. Toffee Brown, Blackberry are an acquired taste which maybe a benefit to some but will discount others.

As for the year to get it's tricky, an older one will lose less (2007-2009) but there is the issue with the 6 year roof warranty having run out.

They were facelifted in 2010 so if you can get a well priced, well spec'd 2010 you should be good. Though they are out of warranty now.

Whatever you buy I'm sure you'll be happy.

Things that can be easily retrofitted to the same as if you'd ordered them from the factory:

Sat Nav
Bluetooh
Multi-Function Steering Wheel

You might want to check the one you buy has a 3rd rail for the 5th seat, sometimes this is essential for people, however since 2013(2010?) I think they all have 3 rails.

As said before the main thing to get specced are things you can;t easily retrofit like the towbar, climatronic, xenons etc.

FWIW i think the Xenons are fantastic having had normal lights on my last cali, the towbar is superb and the climatronic is quite good. Beyond that the only other thing i really rate is the -30mm drop springs esp on the 4motion, makes it handle much better in my view. But get what you want right now and then use it. I've learnt to be less protective of my van and just enjoy it - we are careful but not especially anal about it.

NZCol said:
As said before the main thing to get specced are things you can;t easily retrofit like the towbar, climatronic, xenons etc.

FWIW i think the Xenons are fantastic having had normal lights on my last cali, the towbar is superb and the climatronic is quite good. Beyond that the only other thing i really rate is the -30mm drop springs esp on the 4motion, makes it handle much better in my view. But get what you want right now and then use it. I've learnt to be less protective of my van and just enjoy it - we are careful but not especially anal about it.

Are they the VW springs? Think they are if they are -30mm

Yeah the std VW springs, i had mine done from new so when i picked up the van it was already -30mm

NZCol said:
Yeah the std VW springs, i had mine done from new so when i picked up the van it was already -30mm

Thanks.

Back on topic now (my bad :) )

I'd argue against 4Motion and pro 3rd rail to not limit your audience (in case of the larger family).

Don't get an electric sliding door!

Also agree on colour - might be better to choose a "safe" colour

The rest is pretty much take it or leave it IMHO

Hi all

Enormous thanks for the very useful responses - very much appreciated.

Think it gives us a really good idea of spec must-haves. Colour too - very good point. The remaining question though is age / mileage.

We met some people not so long ago who talked of buying new Calis, using for a year or two and then selling on with relatively low mileage for almost as much as they had bought for. Yet when looking at what's available, they seem to me to devalue fairly considerably in their first couple of years of usage.

Point is, we'd very happily buy say an ex demo 2014 model with only a few hundred miles on it if we know we could sell in a couple of years for not too much less than we had paid. Is that at all likely?

Also, is one likely to get a better deal ordering a brand new one using Drive the Deal, or buying an ex demo model?

Thanks for any input!

Very good question... Not sure. But to put it differently, would one lose more by selling after two years, or after say 6 years?

The first two- three years will always be the worst, especially if you buy brand new with little discount.

If you want to reduce the deprecation you may be best off buying a three year old van, some vans that are 3+ years old can lose less than a grand per year if you buy at the right price.

I even know someone who purchased a van, used it for 18 month and sold it for the same price they paid for it ! ( this is rare but still possible)

Thank you - think that answers my question very well!

Dealer I bought from has a cali customer who runs a cali for 6 months then sells privately & buys a new one. Very little depresiation.

Back