Toddler buggies in the Cali

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Question to admin - do you think we should have a section "Calis and children", or similar, somewhere within the forum?

Clare and I are looking at the best buggy options for our boy(s) aged 2y 2m and 3y 6m when we depart for three months in Scandinavia.

Option 1: take a buggy we already have that folds to 104x27x22cm. The older child can be carried on shoulders if necessary. (No cost but greatest bulk option)

Option 2: buy a new buggy that folds to an ultra-compact size of 35x30x18cm. Again, the older child can be carried on shoulders if necessary. (Probably highest cost, but middle bulk option)
236268385alt7

Option 3: sell on ebay our 1 year old Burley cycle trailer and upgrade to one that converts into a double stroller. (Probably middle cost, but lowest bulk option as we already have the non-convertible trailer on our packing list)
949209_Honey-Bee-MAIN-2000px.jpg

A fourth option would be to bodge together a front wheel, handlebar and brakes for the bike trailer we already have, but my DIY skills aren't up to much.

We will not be making a decision until we see how our van packs, but does anyone have any experience of any of the other three options above?

Last edited:
We have 2 boys around a similar age, we use a very light weight maclaren and a buggy board. The light weight mclaren is so light it's off road, you just pick it up and just carry them.

We've got something close to Option 2, the Babylon Yoyo (your photo is a newer product that wasn't available previously). Had it for 2yrs now and its solid, folds small enough to be hand luggage on a plane and fits in very small spaces. It was bought for my OHs convertible Beetle (tiny boot) and we assumed we'd use the bigger Out n About in the Cali but as it happens we're still grateful of a small package to save space for other things.

Option 3: sell on ebay our 1 year old Burley cycle trailer and upgrade to one that converts into a double stroller. (Probably middle cost, but lowest bulk option as we already have the non-convertible trailer on our packing list)
949209_Honey-Bee-MAIN-2000px.jpg

We always take a bike trailer with us on longer trips too. We have the Thule Chariot Cougar 2 which has a plethora of attachments but we use it mainly for cycling, running and very occasionally pushing around town.

Generally I use backpacks (Osprey Poco) or baby slings for younger ones in preference to using a buggy for about town or hiking activity - it takes a lot less storage space in the van too. This is a personal thing though, because I appreciate carrying a child isn't comfortable for everyone (esp hefty toddlers!)

The Chariot folds flat like the Burley and is I expect a tad larger, but both will eat up a lot of internal storage or living space. After initially messing around with tarps to wrap another bike trailer we had, we made a heavy duty padded waterproof bag that stores the Chariot on the bike rack. It also gives plenty of room for other bits and pieces like helmets and other bike kit, even room for a balance bike at a push. There's then room for a couple of adult bikes on the back, which secures the bag firmly in place. It does mean you need to take off the bikes even if you just want to use the Chariot, but we got the loading and unloading speedy and down to a fine art!

Here are some pics of the setup, immense fun had by all on our last summer trip!

IMG_0758.jpg IMG_0760.PNG IMG_0761.PNG

We always take a bike trailer with us on longer trips too. We have the Thule Chariot Cougar 2 which has a plethora of attachments but we use it mainly for cycling, running and very occasionally pushing around town.

Generally I use backpacks (Osprey Poco) or baby slings for younger ones in preference to using a buggy for about town or hiking activity - it takes a lot less storage space in the van too. This is a personal thing though, because I appreciate carrying a child isn't comfortable for everyone (esp hefty toddlers!)

The Chariot folds flat like the Burley and is I expect a tad larger, but both will eat up a lot of internal storage or living space. After initially messing around with tarps to wrap another bike trailer we had, we made a heavy duty padded waterproof bag that stores the Chariot on the bike rack. It also gives plenty of room for other bits and pieces like helmets and other bike kit, even room for a balance bike at a push. There's then room for a couple of adult bikes on the back, which secures the bag firmly in place. It does mean you need to take off the bikes even if you just want to use the Chariot, but we got the loading and unloading speedy and down to a fine art!

Here are some pics of the setup, immense fun had by all on our last summer trip!

View attachment 19460 View attachment 19461 View attachment 19462
That is very useful information - thank you. We have a towbar rack and bag as well as the bike rack, so can easily store light but bulky items on the towbar.

The big advantage for us of the Burley over the Thule is that the Burley is for two children. Our boys are aged nearly 2 and 3.

We are almost certain to take the backpack carrier. I can carry one child all day long, the other can go on my shoulders for short spurts. Clare finds it difficult to carry either child for anything other than cuddles.

That is very useful information - thank you. We have a towbar rack and bag as well as the bike rack, so can easily store light but bulky items on the towbar.

The big advantage for us of the Burley over the Thule is that the Burley is for two children. Our boys are aged nearly 2 and 3.

We are almost certain to take the backpack carrier. I can carry one child all day long, the other can go on my shoulders for short spurts. Clare finds it difficult to carry either child for anything other than cuddles.

No probs, in case it's of use, the Thule comes in 1 and 2 child versions. My 2 yr old has had the luxury of it to herself until recently, soon to be shared with her new baby sister, might be interesting!

Great information here! Thanks for sharing!
At the moment I have a closer look to the Thule Chariot lite 1 or 2. I guess it is quite the same as the Cougar one? And fits also on a tow bar rack. I‘ll keep you posted on my investigations :)