Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping with a Toddler

sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar

Wibble
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are planning our first trip away and we are a little concerned how we will get on as a family of four (kids are 1.5 years old & 9 years old) in our Ocean.

The plan is that I’ll sleep in the roof with our eldest, but that leaves Mrs SS with our youngest, so...

1. Any tips for pop up travel cots?

2. Sleeping arrangement tips? I’ve read about the parcel shelf, but that doesn’t leave much room for an adult at the end of the bed.

3. As an alternative, has anyone used Dream Tubes to make up a safe space on the bed?
https://www.hippychick.com/categori...MI7fWYlOG02wIVrZPtCh1TAgljEAAYASAAEgI2DfD_BwE

4. Is a drive away awning a better solution, so our toddler can sleep in his travel cot outside the confines of the van?

5. I know this might sound bonkers, but I am considering renting a small cottage with a private drive. This would allow Mum & Youngest to sleep in comfort with all the facilities and me and the eldest can sleep in the van...anyone done this before?

I only think this will be an issue whilst the youngest is small and active, as next year he’ll be bigger and can sleep in the roof.

I’ve read loads of posts about sleeping with babies in the van, but toddlers are much more active and I’ve not seen many tips, so shout out if you have any!

We are planning our first trip away and we are a little concerned how we will get on as a family of four (kids are 1.5 years old & 9 years old) in our Ocean.

The plan is that I’ll sleep in the roof with our eldest, but that leaves Mrs SS with our youngest, so...

1. Any tips for pop up travel cots?

2. Sleeping arrangement tips? I’ve read about the parcel shelf, but that doesn’t leave much room for an adult at the end of the bed.

3. As an alternative, has anyone used Dream Tubes to make up a safe space on the bed?
https://www.hippychick.com/categori...MI7fWYlOG02wIVrZPtCh1TAgljEAAYASAAEgI2DfD_BwE

4. Is a drive away awning a better solution, so our toddler can sleep in his travel cot outside the confines of the van?

5. I know this might sound bonkers, but I am considering renting a small cottage with a private drive. This would allow Mum & Youngest to sleep in comfort with all the facilities and me and the eldest can sleep in the van...anyone done this before?

I only think this will be an issue whilst the youngest is small and active, as next year he’ll be bigger and can sleep in the roof.

I’ve read loads of posts about sleeping with babies in the van, but toddlers are much more active and I’ve not seen many tips, so shout out if you have any!

Your wife and toddler will sleep fine downstairs. Just make sure the nappy won't leak! Jack was 1 year 11 months when we first went camping - no problems with him and Clare downstairs.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We are a family of 3, myself, wife and a 2 year old. We have just got back from our maiden voyage and i also wasn't sure how this was going to work out...
Night 1 we tried sleeping upstairs (all 3) even though we have the safety net that came with the Ocean that clips on to make it difficult to fall out, my wife was not comfortable with the little one clambering over it, so we decided to sleep the wrong way round to keep him well away from the edge (head at the back of the bed) - not great - feels like sleeping in a coffin and headroom is zero, so night 1 fail :(.
Night 2 - We decided to sleep downstairs (again all 3) - much better than upstairs (the wrong way round) but downstairs bed is smaller, so was a bit of a squeeze, so night 2 better, but not there yet.
I think that next time either myself or wife upstairs, and one of us downstairs with our son (as Amarillo says) - pretty sure that will work well...
Hope this helps a little...

Hello!

We are 4 in an ocean. Little ones are 15 mths and 4.

We had our first night away with all 4 of us last weekend.

4yr old up top with dad. And little one downstairs with me. We put her in a koodi pop up travel cot...I felt more comfortable with her in that because she is a wriggler and didn't want to have to go to bed at the same time as her. She slept brilliantly and there was enough space for me next to her...not loads...but enough.

The eldest one was super excited and wanted to go to bed really early.. without stories...She was still awake 2 and a half hours later..peeking out of the windows upstairs. But when she went to sleep she also slept amazingly.

All bodes well for our holiday...We head off next Saturday for 9 weeks in France and Spain!

Still working out how we will live...but we will work it out. And it will be brill.

I've tried but definitely failed to follow the no1 piece of advice..don't buy too much. But hey ho....

20180602_192746.jpg

We pushed the cot all the way to the back against the wardrobe and I slept with my head toward the front of the van.

Last edited by a moderator: