Bike choice for European Tour

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Clare and I are at the early stages of planning an extended tour of Europe with our two young boys, beginning early June 2017, and returning home June, July or August 2018, read for the eldest boy to start school in September 2018. Ben will be 3 years 6 months and Jack 2 years 2 months when we set off.

On honeymoon we drove to Croatia and took our tandem of the roof of our car. We found that car/bike was a very effective way to explore towns and cities. You can stay at cheaper places outside the town centre and explore, even the most congested towns, very effectively by bike.

Ben is already an expert on a balance bike, and I would expect him to be cycling this time next year. Jack cannot yet walk, but as soon as he can he'll be learning to balance on two wheels on a balance bike.

So what do we take with us for a year in Europe? We will be taking bike for the boys, but clearly not for riding about town, campsites only.

Option 1 - Tandem and Burley trailer
Option 2 - Bromptons with Burley trailer for one of the Bromptons
Option 3 - Bromptons with a child seat on each

Option 1 has the whole-family-on-a-bike appeal. But the only place for the tandem is the roof, and getting it up and down there is not trivial. Plus it will make the van a very tall vehicle.
Option 2 is good, we can store the Bromptons securely in the van, but the trailer takes up quite a lot of space.
Option 3 is the most compact option, but those child seats will not support a young child falling asleep.

Option 1 will require no further purchase. Options 2 & 3 would mean that we would need to buy a second Brompton.

I would go option 2 but put the Burley trailer on something like a Thule Backrack wrapped in a waterproof sheet, if you load it carefully you should just about still be able to get the tailgate open.
I would also take child seat as well to spread the load if necessary between 2 bikes & free up space in the Burley to carry stuff if needed.

I can see the trailer being useful for all sorts of lugging on an extended tour, but it's a Hell of a lump to cart round Europe unless you're very sure you'll need it.

To me that's the biggest Cali compromise - unless you go with a drive-away awning, or have a very lean overnight-ing setup, it's a big drag to convert back into car mode to nip out to the shops or down to the beach etc. Taking bikes / trailer might mean you can leave the van set up in camping mode when you're having a few rest days.

Tandem sounds like a massive p.i.t.a to me!

Personally I would go for Option 3. Your youngest would be 3 + next year and as long as the cycle trips were tailored to the children's needs rather than the adults , ie: post lunch sleep etc: it should work out well.

What about... One of the roof racks that slide down to allow loading (typically of a kiyak) I wonder if you could fab something up to allow the tandem to lay flat on the roofrack..? Easier to load and lower profile..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Have you considered a tag along? I can't remember what age we started ours on them - probably about 3 years.

Not for you - but we had three under 5s so we had a single and a double tag along. It was a rare site and we used to get a lot of waves. ;)

Another option is a Trailgator bar which converts the child's own bike to a tag along. It creates quite a long vehicle but would be very space efficient. Probably no good for the younger child.

Finally - have you considered a more traditional child seat that has a seat tube fixing rather than fitting on a rack. Or even a front fitting more traditional seat (e.g. Polisport). I think they are OK for up to about age 3. I see no reason why some of those couldn't be fitted on a Brompton but you'd have to investigate carefully.

Jack is now 1 year 2 months, he will be 2 years 2 months when we set off in June next year. It feels a bit young to be balancing on a saddle for any trip longer than about 15 minutes.
Apologies. Misread, although my grand-daughter, just coming unto 2, loves her seat on rides lasting unto 2 hours with frequent stops - she loves it waving at everyone and taking a great deal of notice of everything.

What about... One of the roof racks that slide down to allow loading (typically of a kiyak) I wonder if you could fab something up to allow the tandem to lay flat on the roofrack..? Easier to load and lower profile..

The Helton looks like it is even more faff than hoofing the tandem onto the Pendle carrier I already own.

I think that we will probably buy a second Brompton and go for Option 2 - the Burley. The children's play bikes and the Burley can go in a bag on the bike rack, and the Bromptons can either be bagged and go in the van, or unfolded on the bike rack. I tend to be a bit paranoid about bikes being stolen, so I have two good locks to secure them to cycle racks.

Have considered something like this?

https://goo.gl/images/PVVVXB

I'm sure it would fold up to fit on the roof.

I am fairly sure that I could raise and lower the tandem onto and off the roof with that, but will their be enough space next to the tandem to stow it on the roof?

And would I also need to pack a jet pack to reach the cockpit from ground level. ;)

Have you looked at a Weehoo? Ours is one of the best things we ever bought. Utterly brilliant! Unfortunately you would probably need to buy two, but ours is fantastic, it goes on the bike rack, has panniers, isn't as wide as a trailer and the kids love it! The kids can also help push if so inclined.
I'm sure it would fit on a Brompton if that's what you wanted to take.
Superb bit of kit.

not seen a Weehoo before, that looks ace:

http://rideweehoo.com/products/igo-two-2/

A neat bit of kit indeed, and they do a tandem version. Unfortunately our bike and bike bit stable is bursting at the seams, and rapidly more bits are being added:
1. Marin Pallisades
2. Thorn Raven Tour
3. Clare's Raleigh
4. Clare's Cannondale
5. Brompton
6. Thorn Raven Twin
7. Genuine Chinese cargo trike
8. Y-Large Carry Freedom bike trailer + 414 litre aluminium box
9. Islabikes Rothan
10. Islabikes Cnoc 14 small
11. Islabikes Cnoc 14 large
12. Burley Bee trailer

I am not sure that I can justify buying another child trailer - but it does look really cool. Hmmmm... Does anyone want to buy a brand new Burley?

adhering nicely to the n+1 bike rule there - kudos!

This is the the way to do it :thumb

Brilliant!

I think I counted 28 cyclists in that short clip - and the only hats being worn were of the woolly variety. I have long been of the opinion that helmet use is a distraction from the main issues around cyclist safety. It is far more important that our roads are designed with the safety needs of all road users considered; that school children are trained to cycle in a way that they can clearly see and be seen by other road users; and that all road users respect and communicate effectively with all other road users.

Have you considered a trailer? you could take what ever combination you want then.

Have you considered a trailer? you could take what ever combination you want then.
I haven't ruled anything out, but i bought a California because I didn't want to tow a caravan. Towing a trailer behind a California is little different from towing a caravan behind a car.

Not talking caravan, a small trailer and if going for the length of time you are talking about you might just appreciate having a bit more storage space giving you more room in the Cali.

Brilliant!

I think I counted 28 cyclists in that short clip - and the only hats being worn were of the woolly variety. I have long been of the opinion that helmet use is a distraction from the main issues around cyclist safety. It is far more important that our roads are designed with the safety needs of all road users considered; that school children are trained to cycle in a way that they can clearly see and be seen by other road users; and that all road users respect and communicate effectively with all other road users.

The Dutch have certainly got things sorted when it comes to cycling. I used to have my youngest child on a seat in front of me, like the lady in the video and my eldest behind. It worked very well and more stable than you would think. You can keep your eye on the little one in front and they don't want to sleep as they can see everything passing by, makes bike riding exciting!

Not talking caravan, a small trailer and if going for the length of time you are talking about you might just appreciate having a bit more storage space giving you more room in the Cali.
I would still put a roof box ahead of a trailer if we need the extra space, but all options are open. I will have a better idea of how the van packs after our first trip this weekend.