Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets??

P

Pkdotm75

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looking for a cassette toilet and can't understand the difference between the various Thetford models. Can anyone shed any light please? I know the 335 seems to be the favourite but what's the reason v other cheaper models?

I don’t carry a proper loo, just a wee bottle for emergencies, but if I did, and I could afford the space, I’d go for the 335 simply because of it’s compact size.

Looking for a cassette toilet and can't understand the difference between the various Thetford models. Can anyone shed any light please? I know the 335 seems to be the favourite but what's the reason v other cheaper models?
Size. If you are so inclined to lose cupboard space it can go in there. Ours fits in the SpaceMate perfectly. You can also put a Dunelm box over it if you want to pretend you have no bodily functions. Or piddle into a bottle. I go without fail at 3am so have no issues carrying one rather than stumble around a campsite to the loos. Sits in the boot or chuck into our pop up festival tent through the day.

Does anyone in the UK produce a bracket to secure the 335 to the floor rails? Seems to be some in Germany but seems a lot of money for what it is.....especially after shipping.

Does anyone in the UK produce a bracket to secure the 335 to the floor rails? Seems to be some in Germany but seems a lot of money for what it is.....especially after shipping.
Unless you plan to use the thing while the van is hurtling around twisty B-roads I'm not really sure whey you'd need to secure the Thetford to the floor. We've had one for years and while it usually lives under the rear shelf, we've often had it in the main body of the van while on the move and it hasn't been prone to sliding about. If it did, I guess I'd be inclined just to glue a couple of foam rubber strips to the underside, rather than spending a lot of money on Teutonic hardware.

Each to their own, of course.

Unless you plan to use the thing while the van is hurtling around twisty B-roads I'm not really sure whey you'd need to secure the Thetford to the floor. We've had one for years and while it usually lives under the rear shelf, we've often had it in the main body of the van while on the move and it hasn't been prone to sliding about. If it did, I guess I'd be inclined just to glue a couple of foam rubber strips to the underside, rather than spending a lot of money on Teutonic hardware.

Each to their own, of course.
That's good to hear.
I've not got one yet but the thought of it flying about while I was driving was the bit that put me off.
Might still put a bungee around it to help my anxiety though :Nailbiting

That's good to hear.
I've not got one yet but the thought of it flying about while I was driving was the bit that put me off.
Our 335 sits under a Dunelm Ottoman and when travelling is secured by a bungee to the drivers seat.

View attachment IMG_1782.jpeg

Perfect - that's exactly what I had in mind. The bungee with the quick release clip is a great idea too :thumb
Note, you put the Ottoman upside down so it just lifts off.

We are using a PP 345: the reservoir is somewhat larger and the box is higher. While travelling we store the PP the same way as Moggymog, while camping we use it as a sidetable; my travelling mate made a very nice, exact fitting cover. Our cupboards are filled with other stuff.

Same here as others have said , Dunhelm box over the top . Ours has never moved , mainly due to the water it holds for flushing . I think that stabilises it .

We also have a 335. During daytime and travel it sits next to a euro box 40/60 on our slide out drawer in the back. During night time it is ready for my occasional visit.
Morning routine: empty (no chemicals) while my wife dresses up with me out of the way.
Works perfectly and is more comfortable the a bucket!

Our 335 lives in the space under the sink and is there just for emergency use in the night.

It does take up valuable storage space, but at least it is quick to access in the night and doesn't move around when the Cali is on the road. There is enough room at the side of it to
squeeze in a loo roll and a few other bits and pieces.

We haven't had cause to use it yet as the sites we have stayed at so far have all had toilet blocks close to our pitch and the weather has been kind.

Our Portapotti 335 sits behind the driver's seat under a Dunelm upside-down box cover. It doesn't move about while driving. Useful esp with the cover on as an extra seat or little table (we don't turn the driver's seat).

That's good to hear.

Mine came from Thetford with some brackets to screw to the floor. But we don’t need them, it sits behind the drivers seat and does not move

Are we the only ones who keep it in the cupboard below the sink, when not in use, to be brought out at bed-time when "downstairs" becomes the bathroom? That's why we bought this model (thanks to this forum); it fits perfectly. The seals are still really good after more than 10 years - hygienic, no smells and no likely possibility of leakage. Rarely used for more than peeing and never allowed to become over-full, but we wouldn't wish to be without it!

That's good to hear.
As Velmas dad says it will be fine nothing will fly about it’s very secure just on its own

Are we the only ones who keep it in the cupboard below the sink, when not in use, to be brought out at bed-time when "downstairs" becomes the bathroom? That's why we bought this model (thanks to this forum); it fits perfectly. The seals are still really good after more than 10 years - hygienic, no smells and no likely possibility of leakage. Rarely used for more than peeing and never allowed to become over-full, but we wouldn't wish to be without it!
Totally agree. Wouldn’t be without ours. In exactly the same place as yours. No hassle.

We went for the 345 which is a bit bigger for my derrière. It fits neatly in the back of the van although I can see the benefit of the 335 taking up less space. On reflection we are happy with our choice and would definitely recommend having one whatever the model

Back