Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Too much hot air

L

Lowmans

Dear All,

We have recently bought a 1992 California Westfalia conversion. It's a German van which was converted to RHD in Germany prior to being imported into the UK. Apart from being a bit slow - it's a 2.4D, we love it. The only problem is we cannot seem to stop hot air coming from the 2 vents at either end of the dash. Even when everything is set to cold, hot air still blows through them and the faster the fan is on the more we get! I have a suspicion that when the RHD conversion was done something has been re connected the wrong way round or could it be a stuck valve or similar.
Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Was this the silvery grey one off ebay recently?

It may be the control cable - check it is connected to the slider on the control panel (prize the knobs off the sliders, then there are 4 clips holding the panel on - 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom).

Also, I think you may be able to get to the cables in the engine bay, so see if you can control the heat manually from there. Not sure about that though.

Just for info, you will only ever get cold air out of the central vents. It's a design feature :)

Cheers,
dan

Actually, it might be better to just remove the trim panels below, rather than take off the heater control panel. Might give you a bit more room. It's all screws - can't remember if the glove box needs to come out.

dan

I don't think it is anything to do with the conversion. From memory it is a common fault on T4's and has been covered in detail on the T4Forum (the old one, not this one). I think the cables get stiff and end up breaking part of the controller...so although you set it to cold; nothing in fact happens.

Its been faced and overcome my many, so you'll soon have it sorted.

Thank you very much for your advice-yes it was the one on eBay recently.

The hot/cold controller is very stiff when you move it to hot so my guess is it is a cable issue. I'll take a look this weekend.

Thanks Dan-from another Dan

Cool, I remember it because I was thinking it was quite a bit of work to convert to RHD.

As Wilupo says, the T4Forum is a useful resource for technical q's, I've got a lot of help from there in the past. There's only a handful of T4 Westy owners here the mo, hopefully our numbers will continue to grow :D

Enjoy the van, you've got a pretty unique one there.

dan

Thanks-In the end the some adjustment both ends and WD40 got it sorted so thanks both for the advise!

Next on the list:
Rear wiper not working-can't even work out how to switch it on!
Passenger door lock won't unlock with the key
Temperature gauge not working and red light constantly flashing
Clock doesn't keep time

All very minor but will keep me busy.

We do think the van is pretty unique, we haven't seen another like her yet.

Any ideas as to a good place to install an amp?

Back