Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tour de France, any advice pls

G

gatvol

The TdF is in NE France this year. This gives the opportunity to view three stages, one of which is a time trial, near to the UK on 9, 10, 11 July. I know that the mountain stages are best, but at least with a time trial you will get to see some action over a good period of time.

I have only seen the race in Paris before and don't fancy a long drive to the Pyrenees or alps. Are there any tips for viewing this event pls?. Is it simply a case of getting there early, the French presumably close off a number of side roads and you park there? Is it possible to park up on the route itself?

Any tips very gratefully received. Thanks

gatvol said:
The TdF is in NE France this year. This gives the opportunity to view three stages, one of which is a time trial, near to the UK on 9, 10, 11 July. I know that the mountain stages are best, but at least with a time trial you will get to see some action over a good period of time.

I have only seen the race in Paris before and don't fancy a long drive to the Pyrenees or alps. Are there any tips for viewing this event pls?. Is it simply a case of getting there early, the French presumably close off a number of side roads and you park there? Is it possible to park up on the route itself?

Any tips very gratefully received. Thanks
Basically you need to do research to find the exact location you'd like to view from. If its out on the route an miles from the finish, hen you are likely to be able to park up nearby or even on the side of the road. Normally the road itself has to be cleared, so you have to park off the road on a suitable verge, or better still away from the route.
Normally the upward slopes of hills are preferred place to see them, otherwise the riders are speeding by in a flash of Lycra.
Expect roads to be closed from the night before the peloton comes through.
Also expect hundreds of Brits to be doing the same thing...
Best of all is to join up with a group of british cyclists (local to you) and make a festival of it... It is a mad spectacle, best experienced in a group.
Have you got any idea of the preferred area you'd visit?

MisterTea

Thanks for your response. We have no firm plans. As a default, we were going to park up where we could and cycle on our bromptons to the action. Were it not for the time trial, we would not bother going to any flat stages as the cyclists are so fast on the flat it Is little more than a blur.

The fitness and speed of these skinny little fellas is truly phenomenal.

Hi again, I've just taken a look at those stages, and I'd agree the best stage is stage 11 at mont-saint-michel. Ether that or Paris. But m-s-m goes my vote. iirc ther are some lovely villages in the area and if you can get near the start or finish, you will have a great spectacle and get a good days worth if fun.

Btw. I'm just off to do some mountain training (skinny tyres) in the Alps for the next 8 days.. Will catch a day of the tour of Italy (giro) as they go nearby over the galibier... Hoping wiggo finds his mojo by then.

Despite some googling I have been unable to find start/finish times for each stage, anyone know ?

ymfb said:
Despite some googling I have been unable to find start/finish times for each stage, anyone know ?

I don’t think they publish the detailed times until a month or so before the race. I went out in 2011 to watch the stages up Gallibier, Alp DHuez & the last time trial near Grenoble. Roads were closed to motor traffic very early but you could still get around on a bike until about half an hour before the publicity caravan came through. Exception was Gallibier where there was a very jobs worth Gendarme stopping you from even pushing a bike up the mountain.
I actually enjoyed watching the TT most of all as there was far less pushing and shoving trying to get a spot to watch. The speed of the riders is incredible to see. Other tips, take enough warm clothes, food and water, suncream etc for sitting around for a couple of hours. If you normally ride in cleated bike shoes chuck a pair of lightweight sandals/shoes in the bag for any walking you might need to do. Make sure the van is parked facing the direction you want to go when leaving. Trying to do a u turn with 1000s of others all streaming away after the race has passed will take some time otherwise..... Oh and be prepared to fight with kids of all ages and risk your life in order to collect the worthless tat thrown out from the publicity caravan. It’s all part of the TdF experience. :mrgreen:

Just seen your thread on the TdF and I assume that you might also interested in next year's Yorkshire sections, so a word of advice for you. Book as soon as possible for campsites, etc. I live on the actual route in Upper Wharfedale and various places are already taking bookings - including hotels :eek: . Also, advance warnings have already been issued on probable road closures, etc., with the B6160 north from Skipton (on the Dales 1st day circuit) being closed to all traffic from 8-00am on the day.
I can help with info on sites if necessary - just ask.
Have a good trip to France.