Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow ball bike racks

T

TooEarlyToThink

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, I’m new here. First time t6 Ocean owner. Before getting it we always used a Thule tow ball fitted bike carrier on our car. I never really see them on camper vans though and wondered if there was any reason as would like to get one again?

Ours used to fold down to get in the boot without taking it off but guessing the door sits lower on a van and might not work as well? Also the tow ball is detachable. Is there a problem there?

The Thule carrier worked really well and seems much better than having all the bike weight up high on the rear door like the factory racks but wondered if I am missing something that explains why I never see them. Thanks!

Hi, I’m new here. First time t6 Ocean owner. Before getting it we always used a Thule tow ball fitted bike carrier on our car. I never really see them on camper vans though and wondered if there was any reason as would like to get one again?

Ours used to fold down to get in the boot without taking it off but guessing the door sits lower on a van and might not work as well? Also the tow ball is detachable. Is there a problem there?

The Thule carrier worked really well and seems much better than having all the bike weight up high on the rear door like the factory racks but wondered if I am missing something that explains why I never see them. Thanks!

Lots of posts on the forum on this subject, but you will need to use the search facility which comes with subscription (VIP) membership. Such a search is best restricted to the two last two or three years.

Short answer is I use a Thule XT2 on a removable tow bar and with a small modification it will drop sufficiently to allow the boot to open with or without bikes mounted.

I will try to find something searching myself and post here as a start for you.

Just added:

Post in thread 'Thule EasyFold XT 2-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack'

Last edited:
Back