Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I grease my tow ball when fitting bike rack

California_Clarky

California_Clarky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
After much deliberation, I have decided to go with the tow bar mounted bike rack on my California in the past I have always understood that it's necessary to grease the ball and socket, but I'm just wondering after seeing various items on the Internet that maybe I shouldn't be applying any grease to the ball when using a tow bar bike carrier. Just wondered what everybody else is doing. I do know that I have to remove the paint from the ball itself which I wasn't aware of before. Just wondered what everybody else is doing. Sense, dictates that if you're suspending a bike rack off of the table of the vehicle, the less friction you've got the better which would say don't Grease.

TIA

Sense, dictates that if you're suspending a bike rack off of the table of the vehicle, the less friction you've got the better which would say don't Grease.

TIA
You mean the more friction the better?
I don't grease for the bike rack & don't bother taking the paint off either. I think thats only really needed for some of the stability control hitches used on caravans.

I don't grease for the bike rack & don't bother taking the paint off either. I think thats only really needed for some of the stability control hitches used on caravans.
Definitely more friction I would say is better - I was always concerned in the past the bikes would slide down

After much deliberation, I have decided to go with the tow bar mounted bike rack on my California in the past I have always understood that it's necessary to grease the ball and socket, but I'm just wondering after seeing various items on the Internet that maybe I shouldn't be applying any grease to the ball when using a tow bar bike carrier. Just wondered what everybody else is doing. I do know that I have to remove the paint from the ball itself which I wasn't aware of before. Just wondered what everybody else is doing. Sense, dictates that if you're suspending a bike rack off of the table of the vehicle, the less friction you've got the better which would say don't Grease.

TIA
No, No. Unless you want the rack to swing into the body work on the first sharp corner.

TIA
yep, no grease for more friction. Something about the van I actually know about- tribology!

It needs to be degreased not greased! Ours had been used for towing and I cleaned it with acetone before fitting the bike rack.

even for towing, the ball should not be greased i believe....

I have been towing for over forty years and appreciate that the grease aids movement of the trailer. When I started using AlKo stabilisers, I got used to the idea of no grease (it prevents friction pads from working) so it’s a long time since I greased a tow fitting.

With a bike rack, there is no movement to aid so no grease required. That said, if it aids getting it on or off, then fine. The grease will not prevent a solid attachment as the bike rack socket locks on tight anyway. Manufacturers state it isn’t necessary.

I don’t tow these days but have the bike rack on my car (and from this spring my Cali) and like the idea I don’t accidentally grease my trousers!

Finally got round to cleaning the ball this morning and I noticed a few imperfections on it. Should I be concerned or is it just normal wear and tear bearing in mind this has come off a vehicle that only done 2 2500 miles.

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

Back