Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar pre prep where is it?

Speleo62

Speleo62

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
can anyone tell me if they have actually located their towbar prep in their T6? Have had various answers from VW service but no one was actually sure and gave grave warnings that it could all go wrong and be very expensive to fix!! Really wish had paid the extra and got the thing factory fitted!

On the T5 the connection is in the cupboard between the water tank and the external hook up/water filler. I think it's accessed by removing the panel from the outside. My 3 year old Cali had the factory prep, with the towbar ( Westfalia ) fitted by the original dealer. I had problems with the towbar lights when I bought it and SMG found that the towbar loom had been incorrectly wired.

ArunAlec which panal outside? The black water/electric connection panal? Sorry to seem dim.

ArunAlec which panal outside? The black water/electric connection panal? Sorry to seem dim.
Yep, but I think you have to be careful not to drop the fixings down the back of the panel. I haven't actually done this but if you search some previous threads there's more detail. I was researching when I thought I'd have to sort out my problem, but as I said SMG ended up finding the fault.

Alec is right, removing the black water and hook up panel from the side of your van can be tricky but not impossible. The risky bit is dropping the 2 self tapping nuts down inside the van.

The other option is to talk to Westfalia in Bristol who supply and fit the VW towbar. They will know where it is much better than a dealer I suspect.

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/bristol-fitting-centre/

Good luck

Alan

How much would the Westfalia cost do you recon ? I just had a quote from the VW van centre for £580, with the pre wiring in place, for a removeable tow hook.

That's about what we were quoted on Friday from breeze at Southampton. Although they weren't a100% how to access prep rep wiring. They said access through cupboard at back and removing a panal but cannot see any panal. Westfallia a good idea. Thank you

I suspect Westfalia would be slightly cheaper as they make the bar used by VW.

Alan

That's about what we were quoted on Friday from breeze at Southampton. Although they weren't a100% how to access prep rep wiring. They said access through cupboard at back and removing a panal but cannot see any panal. Westfallia a good idea. Thank you

Breeze have a Cali trained tech who perambulates around the three van centres and will know where the prep wiring is located. Provided he does the work you should be OK.

Alan

Back