A

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi guys,

We have recently bought a 2010 Cali and love driving it, but have yet to name it...

However, with all things pre-owned, there are items that I think need fixing. One is the black trim panel on the water tank inlet and 16amp power socket which is coming away at the front (leading) edge. Looks as if it has warped in hot sun at sometime in the past and now road dirt gets behind it.

Is this
a/ a common problem and
b/ easy to fix if I buy the part, or a dealer job?

The Cali also has a fixed tow bar and the rear parking sensors are very unreliable. I spoke to Breeze in Poole about this hoping that a quick computer reset would change the sensitivity of the center sensors so they didn't see the tow hook. Apparently not. Their suggestion is remove the tow bar completely if we are not going to use it, or change it for a removable version.

Have had a look, to remove it means buying the bumper sub-frame as the VW version bar replaced this behind the bumper. A replacement removable bar is equally expensive, also mounting behind the bumper, so might have to turn the parking sensors off to stop the irritating continuous beep.

All advise gratefully received.

Are you going to tow with it? Do you intend to keep it? If so, an angle grinder will solve the problem in a jiffy...

Californiaman said:
Are you going to tow with it? Do you intend to keep it? If so, an angle grinder will solve the problem in a jiffy...

Yes, though of that initially, but then thought it was a bit brutal. Having had a better look today it is a Westfalia fixed tow ball retro fit, so not a VW version after all.

Might well go down the angle grinder route unless some one wants a Westfalia fixed tow ball for a T5 that hasn't parking sensors on their Cali. Unlikely I suspect.

The removable towbar on my Beach is a Westfalia and so is the towbar on my Yeti. I suspect that the Westfalia towbar you have may be the correct version as a fixed towbar is an option in the 2012 brochure. I suggest you ask a couple of other dealers as well as Breeze. My Beach had to be reprogrammed for the towbar option and I need to get the Yeti done as well.

Andy

Sorted the problem today.

I spoke to a lovely helpful lady at Westfalia in St Albans who made a suggestion that the plastic cap on the ball may be the issue. Have taken this off and done a test and now the parking sensors work as they should. Simples!

The down side is that I will have to keep the ball clean of grease.

Apparently there is a dimpled ball cover (looks like a large black golf ball) available that will allow the sensors to work and keep grease off our shins. Will look out for this.

Back