Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

towbar electrics

timber

timber

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi I need help
My 2013 SE 180 Cali has a factory fitted tow bar and I am getting no electrics to my trailer,, any ideas anyone.
There is nothing coming out of the socket, can't see any wires loose or chewed etc.
Tried to find which fuse and no luck with the fuse download section on here.
Does anyone know which fuse . All the other things lights etc, on the Cali work o.k.

I believe fuses for the towbar may be underneath the passenger seat. There is a row of fuse holders along the front edge of the seat base and there should be 3 15 amp fuses. This applies for a towbar fitted after purchase may be different for one added at factory. If you go to PF Jones website and look up the wiring kits for the T5 you can see the installation instructions for both trailer prep and non trailer prep installation of Westfalia wiring kits (used by VW). These will show you where the fuses are fitted.

Thanks for the reply , the front row has only one 15 amp
and the second row has four 15 amp fuses. all ok.
Will go to Listers at Coventry they will sort it as I think that is not that simple as a fuse.or indeed fuses

We had the same this spring on a rental Multivan. The right fuse was in the motor compartment fusebox.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

I have just fitted the wiring for a T5 2010 Cali from PF Jones.
The tow bar fuses are beside the engine battery under the battery cover on my Cali. Worth a look there first.
May be different for layer years though.

Alan

Alan
Thanks for the reply, There is no power out from the 13 pin socket therefore I doubt if it is just one fuse, unless it supplies another set of fuses/ relay to the trailer. My previous Cali had a cover over the engine battery but this present Cali just has a side shroud that has to be removed to get to the fuse box.
I do like to know how thing work, especially when the guarantee runs out!!!!!???

When you say "No Power", do you mean the 12v supply, or the lights, brake, side lights, fog light or reversing light as well.
If it is just the 12v then probably a fuse.
If it is lights and 12v then I would suggest it could either be a multi socket somewhere or a fault in the EMU programming.

When you say "No Power", do you mean the 12v supply, or the lights, brake, side lights, fog light or reversing light as well.
If it is lights and 12v then I would suggest it could either be a multi socket somewhere or a fault in the EMU programming.

Yep! no 12 volt supply to the towbar socket hence nothing works on the trailer.
I have no idea where to look.for the problem other than fuses.
Have to have a run out to Listers, they will sort it.

Yep! no 12 volt supply to the towbar socket hence nothing works on the trailer.
I have no idea where to look.for the problem other than fuses.
Have to have a run out to Listers, they will sort it.

If you have nothing on the socket, then I would suspect the trailer wiring control box. If this has stopped functioning then everything on the socket will cease to function too.
Alan

My tow bar problem has been sorted, went to Listers at Coventry. The wiring etc is under the drivers seat, I did not think there was anything under it.
It turns out that my 13 to 7 pin connector was at fault, although I had used it many times before.
I however did feel a bit stupid, but as I said to Phil the service manager--- always a pleasure to call in.
Thanks to all who tried to help, and if you have a chance look under the drivers seat RHD not a lefty may even be other stuff

Hi WelshGas, can you point me to the fuse for the seven point tow bar please, everything is working on the van but my bike carrier for the towbar nothing. Cheers.

Hi WelshGas, can you point me to the fuse for the seven point tow bar please, everything is working on the van but my bike carrier for the towbar nothing. Cheers.
I'm afraid I don't have the fuse diagrams on my phone but they are in the VIP Resources section.
If nothing is working on the Towbar rack, no lights at all, and you've not used it for a while then it could be corrosion in the towbar socket. Plug in the plug and turn clockwise, back and fore a few times if it is a factory fitted socket.

Is it the first time you’ve connected anything to the socket? Seems strange that non of the lights are working. My first check would be to make sure the earth feed was ok.

My dealer fitted towbar‘s wiring was incorrectly connected from new!

12n wiring colours
PinColourWhat it does
1YellowLeft indicator
2BlueAuxiliary (e.g. Fog light or internal lights)
3WhiteEarth
4GreenRight indicator
5BrownRight Tail Light
6RedBrake / Stop Lights
7BlackLeft Tail Light and Number Plate Lights

First question is, have you had the bike carrier lights working previously/ i ask as it it easy to dive off into the wrong end.

With a meter or 12V lamp check for power between pin 3, earth, and pin 5 or 7 with side lights on.
Nothing showing then check pin 5 or 7 to Cali body earth.

That should show if a simple earthing issue.

I'm afraid I don't have the fuse diagrams on my phone but they are in the VIP Resources section.
If nothing is working on the Towbar rack, no lights at all, and you've not used it for a while then it could be corrosion in the towbar socket. Plug in the plug and turn clockwise, back and fore a few times if it is a factory fitted socket.
Cheers will do.

Is it the first time you’ve connected anything to the socket? Seems strange that non of the lights are working. My first check would be to make sure the earth feed was ok.

My dealer fitted towbar‘s wiring was incorrectly connected from new!
No not the first time I used it last year no probs, went to use yesterday & nothing.
It's fitted to a 57 plate California it was already on so don't know if factory fitted. Cheers.

12n wiring colours
PinColourWhat it does
1YellowLeft indicator
2BlueAuxiliary (e.g. Fog light or internal lights)
3WhiteEarth
4GreenRight indicator
5BrownRight Tail Light
6RedBrake / Stop Lights
7BlackLeft Tail Light and Number Plate Lights

First question is, have you had the bike carrier lights working previously/ i ask as it it easy to dive off into the wrong end.

With a meter or 12V lamp check for power between pin 3, earth, and pin 5 or 7 with side lights on.
Nothing showing then check pin 5 or 7 to Cali body earth.

That should show if a simple earthing issue.
Just to clarify.... assume the layout is the fixed towbar socket viewed from the socket ( as if plugging in) rather than wiring side ?

No not the first time I used it last year no probs, went to use yesterday & nothing.
It's fitted to a 57 plate California it was already on so don't know if factory fitted. Cheers.
So long as it has been ok in the past it should be fairly easy to sort. As @B J G ‘s post.

For 7 Pin 12N sockets it's often corrosion in the pins/sockets that cause problems, this Hella tool is useful to keep handy.
Sometimes its a case of opening out the pins with a screwdriver blade to get a good contact..

For 7 Pin 12N sockets it's often corrosion in the pins/sockets that cause problems, this Hella tool is useful to keep handy.
Sometimes its a case of opening out the pins with a screwdriver blade to get a good contact..

Really need a 13 pin equivalent.

I was going by 7 point and assumed 7 pin.

owever, many people find that they need an adapter as their car and caravan have different connections e.g. 12n & 12s on a car and a 13pin on the caravan. Don't worry, you can get an adapter.

12n wiring colours
PinColourWhat it does
1YellowLeft Indicator
2BlueRear fog light
3WhiteEarth
4GreenRight Indicator
5BrownRight Tail Light
6RedBrake Light
7BlackLeft Tail Light
8PinkReversing light
9Orange+ve from battery
10GreyFridge - only active when the engine is running
11White / BlackEarth for the fridge (pin 10)
12not usedNot used at present
13White / Red-ve from battery (pin 9)

Last edited:

Latest on my towbar electrics, went to my local garage he plugged a 7pinned test plug in went through lights & indicators all ok, he said it must be your bike carrier, I had it in the van so tried it on another van they had in the garage it worked, he then went & tried the tester again this time no power! He now reckons it's connector the one on the van, so busy taking that apart now, the three screws that hold it to the back plate are all corroded, I'll let you know what I fined if I finally get them loose!

Latest on my towbar electrics, went to my local garage he plugged a 7pinned test plug in went through lights & indicators all ok, he said it must be your bike carrier, I had it in the van so tried it on another van they had in the garage it worked, he then went & tried the tester again this time no power! He now reckons it's connector the one on the van, so busy taking that apart now, the three screws that hold it to the back plate are all corroded, I'll let you know what I fined if I finally get them loose!
Not unusual to need to replace the socket due to corrosion, might just be with wire ends. Pretty exposed down there.

Back