Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT Failure....Fog Lamp

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My 2010 T5.1 has failed its MOT due to the Fog Lamp not working. Fuse 17 (my list of fuses indicates this is the fuse) on the central internal fuse box has been checked and is ok. Bulb is ok, but there is no power at the bulb connector.

Last week I was towing, no idea if this could be related. I have factory fit tow bar and lights.

Any ideas, before I take it to an electrics tech.

Thanks

My 2010 T5.1 has failed its MOT due to the Fog Lamp not working. Fuse 17 (my list of fuses indicates this is the fuse) on the central internal fuse box has been checked and is ok. Bulb is ok, but there is no power at the bulb connector.

Last week I was towing, no idea if this could be related. I have factory fit tow bar and lights.

Any ideas, before I take it to an electrics tech.

Thanks
If you look inside the Towbar Socket, there is a Little microswitch which is depressed when the Towing Plug is inserted. This switches Off the Fog Light. This can get stuck on. Some WD50 and a small screw driver to pull it out and then press a few times until it pops out on its own. Sorted.

Thanks WG

Have had a look but can’t see it. On the attached photo are you please able to indicate where the micro switch is ?

As indicated they are factory fit electrics.
0d42a9095e5848eb5885b2d042d55f45.jpg

Thanks WG

Have had a look but can’t see it. On the attached photo are you please able to indicate where the micro switch is ?

You have the older 7 pin electrics. Do you have a fog light on your trailer?

The operating pin on my 7-pin socket is on the lower edge of the socket right at the back.
The outer side of the plug pushes it in.

You may well need to get on your knees to see it.

Alan

Thanks WG

Thats real old skool, what are you towing? an ark:D

Here's the switch on mine (fitted 2006) that welshgas is on about.
It won't help you but yours might have one somewhere. 47629

Memory floods back.

The VW has 13 pin, I have a Thule 7 pin adapter which has been on since 2010. It has never been off and unfortunately now won’t come off. I assume this adapter would in itself disable the fog light by pushing the micro switch on the 13 pin, in ?

If so, this would mean that on every MOT since 2013, all carried out by the same place in Plymouth, the fog light issue has not been noticed. Now at the same Firm, but their Abergavenny branch, it has been noticed, hence the MOT fail.

Will try to get it seen to tomorrow, and then get an MOT pass.

I use a Thule platform base, adapted to carry a Nestaway Dinghy, and a normal boat trailer, neither I believe have fog lights.

Memory floods back.

The VW has 13 pin, I have a Thule 7 pin adapter which has been on since 2010. It has never been off and unfortunately now won’t come off. I assume this adapter would in itself disable the fog light by pushing the micro switch on the 13 pin, in ?

If so, this would mean that on every MOT since 2013, all carried out by the same place in Plymouth, the fog light issue has not been noticed. Now at the same Firm, but their Abergavenny branch, it has been noticed, hence the MOT fail.

I use a Thule platform base, adapted to carry a Nestaway Dinghy, and a normal boat trailer, neither I believe have fog lights.
That would explain it. The adapter has depressed the switch. If it cannot be removed then you might need to replace the 13 pin socket.

Memory floods back.

Yes, that would be the reason it is not working. You should not leave the adapter in place. I am surprised this hasn’t been spotted by the tester before, although maybe rear fogs were not in the test until recently.

Alan

Managed to wrestle the 7 pin adapter out and on came the Fog light. As it’s been in situ since at least 2011, it shows that the non working Fog light has not been noticed on all MOTs since 2013. Has now passed its MOT.

Off to Hereford in the morning to get a new 13 pin socket fitted & to get a 7 pin adapter.

Managed to wrestle the 7 pin adapter out and on came the Fog light. As it’s been in situ since at least 2011, it shows that the non working Fog light has not been noticed on all MOTs since 2013. Has now passed its MOT.

Off to Hereford in the morning to get a new 13 pin socket fitted & to get a 7 pin adapter.
Don’t leave the Adapter in if you’re not using it.;)

Its a legal requirement.
Yes i know that it is a legal requirement.
But if you abide by the law and use them accordingly you may find that
they are seldom used unless you live up fog hill or in fog valley.

Yes i know that it is a legal requirement.
But if you abide by the law and use them accordingly you may find that
they are seldom used unless you live up fog hill or in fog valley.
I seldom us them.

My son's car failed its MOT for not having a fog light. He bought a cheap one wired it up, fed the wire through the car and out the boot and stuck the lamp on the rear bodywork. It also has to have a switch the lights up.

His car passed the MOT, then he removed it.

A vehicle only has to be legal at the time of the MoT. So even a sliver of brake pad should get a pass - and an advisory etc.

For my first MOT I took my van to VW van centre in Swansea. I failed because the headlight beam was too high.....The little Headlight adjuster button wanted turning down but not allowed to touch them while doing the MOT so failed it...Turned the knob down Retested it then it passed.....What a load of twaddle.....