Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar weight limit?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Does anyone know the towbar weight limit on a T6.1 or how to find it, does it depend on the model/towbar fitted? Caravan dealer said need to check towbar limit will need 120kg?

Does anyone know the towbar weight limit on a T6.1 or how to find it, does it depend on the model/towbar fitted? Caravan dealer said need to check towbar limit will need 120kg?
My T5.1 Westfalia detachable tow bar has a weight limit of 100kg. It is marked on the label on the underside of the frame behind the bumper.
Alan

My T5.1 Westfalia detachable tow bar has a weight limit of 100kg. It is marked on the label on the underside of the frame behind the bumper.
Alan
Ditto on mine.

In practice, if the front wheels of the van lift off you've put too much on the tow bar. ;)

Don't tow a caravan but I do regularly tow a trailer and always try to load it so it has about 50 kg on the two ball, that keeps the trailer stable and does not upset the feel of handling of the van.

Easy to use a set of bathroom scales with a bit of wood on top to spread the load from the jockey wheel.

I tow a 6/7 metre trailer and always make sure there's a significant amount of weight on the tow ball. Better to impose some weight on the van suspension than to risk snaking which is a knuckle whitening experience if it happens and actually quite dangerous.

Yes doing a proper check with scales is ideal, although I must admit I do it 'by eye' (unhitch the loaded trailer, then drop it back onto the ball and watch for at least a bit of deflection of back of van).