Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing Electrics

R

Richard T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I have a 2013 California 180 SE.
I want to tow a small Caravan with ALCO-ATC (Automatic Trailer Control).
Armitage Tow Bars at Ferrybridge in Yorkshire were not sure if the 180 Amp Alternator would be robust enough as the ATC can draw 15 Amps. VW Commercial couldn't help either, they didn't even know it had 3 batteries or seem to understand electricity!
I cant find any spec for what current the van may draw, or quite how the Van Control Relays function in terms of prioritising loads.
Caravans nowadays have habitation relays too but the ATC is outside this I believe.
My California has 2 Domestic Batteries and one Engine Battery plus a fridge so I cannot believe it could draw that much current.
I have read quite a few forum conversations about installations that went wrong. ATC not working, fridge not working, lights not working, nothing working.
Any positive stories gratefully received, along with tips and who fitted it.
Thanks, Richard

When my engine battery went flat and I needed a jump start from the RAC. The tech used a clamp ampeter to check the alternator was charging. I was surprised to see the battery was drawing 45amps. So I think the alternator on an SE is well up to an additional load.

Alan

Additional load may require a larger cable to reduce volts drop at the plug.
Need to see how its wired really.

Additional load may require a larger cable to reduce volts drop at the plug.
Need to see how its wired really.
I am slightly surprised the fitting company can’t work out this for themselves. Presumably they are the experts?

Alan

Thank you Alan. 45 Amps is good to hear.
Still hoping to hear from someone who tows a small modern caravan with a T5 Cali. After all I’ll never run both fridges and batteries will be fully charged when I leave for a long journey.
Still looking for a brilliant tow bar fitting company. One who can fit, diagnose, make decisions, and recode VWs

Try talking to PF Jones about the tow-bar fitment and wiring.

As someone else has said you may need the wire for the auxiliary feed to the tow-bar socket upgrading but I would consider that the alternator is well capable of supporting all that you need.

Rod