Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My fridge does not work

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My 2017 T6 the fridge turns on and off and i can hear compressor running but only gets slightly cool 50c so i can say its not working would a reset on the control panel help and if so how do i check codes and reset Have check 220v input socket working and both leisure batteries fully charged

On checking my T6 ocean on the control display i have a picture of van with thermometer to the right of display and a message saying "see combi- instrument " not sure if its something i have done or a fault
My fridge is not cooling down very well

tried to check hidden memory but my display does not have the two squares button
could anyone help please

I am assuming the 50c is meant to be 5 degC...? If it really is 50 degC then I’d be surprised if you were in the UK (my friend
In Kuwait gave up a round of golf this morning after 13 holes at 50 degC, sorry for the digression)...
What is the control setting for the fridge? (Level 1 to 7, I think)
Have you put anything cold in the fridge to start off, as this helps keeping things cool (sorry if this sound patronising).
I usually put something in overnight with the fridge on and then check how it is in the morning...

On checking my T6 ocean on the control display i have a picture of van with thermometer to the right of display and a message saying "see combi- instrument " not sure if its something i have done or a fault
My fridge is not cooling down very well

tried to check hidden memory but my display does not have the two squares button
could anyone help please
Can you post a picture of your Control Panel?

This is your outside temperature. Measured by the second temperature sensor under the van. Has nothing to do with the fridge.

Press the Knob to get to the Menu and scroll through to select the Battery screen.
The Screen you have is the External Temperature screen and all it is telling you is to check the external temperature on the Dashboard MFD screen, as that is where it is displayed not on the Control Panel.

Thanks Welsh Gas been a long time since we last met i have reset the control panal and replaced outside temp with battery display all working on the display Now i have to sort out fridge witch only gets cool not really ice cold any ideas
Also i have noticed that the automatic side door does not open on the remote or the button on the dash sounds like screwed up data this fault is intermittent

Give us some details of the current draw you are seeing on the control panel a couple of mins after the fridge is powered up.

We might need a picture of that without hookup.
On hookup, you don't really see what is happening.

i will remove the mains lead and check it again later with a picture it was very hot yesterday and van in the sun

this is the current drain on battery with mains disconnected does this look correct the compressor is runnings gets cool but would like much colder and freeze as it used to i have only done 3000 miles

on battery max setting.jpg

This looks like normal current draw.
How long have you kept running the fridge?
In warm temperatures, it takes over one hour to get it cold without something in it.
Have you put a thermometer in the fridge?
In hotter weather, on stage 4, when the fridge is stowed full, the top only gets about 10 - 12°C.
If you want colder, you can put it on stage 7 (I think that is the lowest mine gets), but if you stow too much against the back wall, the fridge freezes, and doesn't cool enough.
Put a couple of plastic bottles of water in the fridge, and a thermometer. Too bad we can't set it to a temperature, but like a normal fridge, only select a stage of cooling. The guess is on you if it's cold enough or not.

I have now checked this over and it seems with the temp setting on 4 showing 13v on batteries at 100% its drawing 3.4 amps and it seems to work normal over night it was cold with frost on the side batteries showed 80% and i can assume its working normal
As soon as i plug in the mains the display shows 14.5v and .4 amp and the fridge cools down seems strange as i am told by VW that the fridge is 12v and plugging in the mains only runs a battery charger having a solar panel the batteries are always at 100% at mid day seems strange unless the fridge cuts off at 14v ?

I have now checked this over and it seems with the temp setting on 4 showing 13v on batteries at 100% its drawing 3.4 amps and it seems to work normal over night it was cold with frost on the side batteries showed 80% and i can assume its working normal
As soon as i plug in the mains the display shows 14.5v and .4 amp and the fridge cools down seems strange as i am told by VW that the fridge is 12v and plugging in the mains only runs a battery charger having a solar panel the batteries are always at 100% at mid day seems strange unless the fridge cuts off at 14v ?
The fridge compressor cyclez On/Off maximum current draw about 3.8amps.
Put charger on by connecting EHU and you'll get a combination reading of amps out from fridge and amps in by Charger on the Control Panel.
Solar Panel amps input is not really registered by the Control Panel as an input because of where it is connected to the Leisure Circuit, only the Voltage.
Switching the Control Panel On/Off using L lower button or Ignition On/Off resets the battery % on the Panel.

I have now checked things out and have found the following , If you run on the batteries the fridge works fine and in my case having a solar panel the fridge works fine and the temp drops with about 3.6amp current drain
If i plug in the mains and understand this is just a charger to charge the batteries the current drops to .4 of an amp and the fridge warms up quickly and the volage is 17.7

If i disconnect the solar panel and plug in the mains all works fine and the current returns to around .3. ?

So i feel if you have 100% charged batterys and have a solar charger and use an on site 240 the voltage rises to over 14volts and the fridge does not run the compressor runs for 2 mins and cuts off
My local VW garage have not got a clue or even understand what i am talking about all i know if i remove the solar input it works as it says on the box if i dont plug in the mains and use solar on its own it works

I have now checked things out and have found the following , If you run on the batteries the fridge works fine and in my case having a solar panel the fridge works fine and the temp drops with about 3.6amp current drain
If i plug in the mains and understand this is just a charger to charge the batteries the current drops to .4 of an amp and the fridge warms up quickly and the volage is 17.7

If i disconnect the solar panel and plug in the mains all works fine and the current returns to around .3. ?

So i feel if you have 100% charged batterys and have a solar charger and use an on site 240 the voltage rises to over 14volts and the fridge does not run the compressor runs for 2 mins and cuts off
My local VW garage have not got a clue or even understand what i am talking about all i know if i remove the solar input it works as it says on the box if i dont plug in the mains and use solar on its own it works
Interesting. Mine works perfectly with both mains and Solar connected. Have never seen 17 v on the Control Panel.

I’ve only had a simple solar set up but find the 17v very odd. I know the panels make much more than 12, but I thought the controller’s job was to bring it down to initially around 14 ish and then ‘float’ voltage.