Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing & Launching A Boat - Is 4Motion A Necessity?

SimonK

SimonK

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
My partner and I are still quite indecisive of whether we want a VW California or a new Kombi that we can get converted to our spec by a reputable converter.

We will also be getting a smallish power boat in the next couple of years.

Do any of you tow and launch powerboats with your California? If so, is it worth paying the extra for 4Motion?

Thanks for your help :)

There are countless threads on 4by4 or not and Genuine Cali or conversion.

To combine both will probably push several forum members over the edge!!

I've only asked one question, aimed at those that may tow and/or launch a boat with their California....

"Do any of you tow and launch powerboats with your California? If so, is it worth paying the extra for 4Motion?"

I have a sailing boat of approx 1800kg all up. My 150DSG Ocean tows it beautifully. So did my previous vehicle (VW T5 130ps tiptronic conversion). Like you I ummed and ahhed about 4M and decided not to. I have not had a problem on the slipway or whilst towing. Obviously due care is needed but I have no regrets over not spending an extra £6k.

Charles

I have a sailing boat of approx 1800kg all up. My 150DSG Ocean tows it beautifully. So did my previous vehicle (VW T5 130ps tiptronic conversion). Like you I ummed and ahhed about 4M and decided not to. I have not had a problem on the slipway or whilst towing. Obviously due care is needed but I have no regrets over not spending an extra £6k.

Charles

Thanks for your reply Charles. That's incredibly informative and potentially incredibly cost saving :)

I normally tow my Nautique wakeboard boat with a Landrover but had to use the Cali recently, it’s a 204 non 4 motion DSG, the boat is very heavy for a speedboat at 3250kgs.
I got some wheel spin on the very steep wet slipway but it managed it, not ideal though. When on the flat it was no issue.

I would not look forward to this again but I was stuck. It does give you an upper limit though on weight, it tows a 5.5 meter rib with a 130hp engine (don’t know it’s weight) with ease though, and would I have no hesitation in towing it anywhere without 4 motion.

Our last Cali was 4 motion but we opted to drop it to get the 5th seat this time, no regrets.

A DSG is not ideal on the slipway and I had quite a bit of wheelspin (and a scary backward roll) when pulling the boat out of the water, till I realised that if you hold the vehicle on the handbrake, then gently use the accelerator until it’s “biting” and finally let off the handbrake, then the vehicle will pull up the slope at low revs with no fuss. I usually try to keep my driving wheels on dry concrete and if the slip is slimy, I’ll wait for the tide to come in a bit. One factor in buying the Ocean was to be able to use as boat support vehicle

Charles

Back