Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion, is it worth it??

I don't see why there should be a big depreciation dip.

Supply and demand. The cali holds it's price because demand seems almost to be greater than supply at times. Anyone in the market for a second hand cali are going to have the same problem this year, next year, as last year. A lack of availability to drive the price down.

I intend on keeping my cali at least 3 years. That seems to be quite common. So someone looking for a second hand cali now and only wanting a T6 will not see all that many, if any, prior to 2019/2020. A long wait,

I have had this issue too when deciding. Neither me or my wife have ever owned an auto car of any type I like to 'drive' so DSG didn't really appeal especially with the cruise control on manuals. Plus DSG with 4motion 180's are £485 a year road tax :Nailbiting every other model is £285pa
Having had 4wd's in the past I've never been over keen on the drive, I find they bog down on acceleration not so fluid and are very thirsty. Prefer RWD or modern FWD in feel.
That said I kind of like the fact you could possibly reduce the risk of getting stuck but we did have a moment last year in our Beach 140 when it rained for a week getting off the site.. but sacrificing a couple of £1 floor mats under the front wheels and we where ok, so I have struggled to justify the extra cost in both the initial expensive but also the running cost.
We settled on a 180 manual, hoping it will drive the nicest, be the nippest and most economical out of the 180 combinations (plus its the cheapest 180 which meant I could choose a few more options)

cue the dislike's..

:Nailbiting I thought the 180DSG was £285pa tax not £485??

Thank you; relieved and planning what to spend my saving of £200 on now :veryfunny

Mine is 180 DSG 4 motion and the government only gets £285 off me.

I can only quote the bill I get every year which is £285.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-02%20at%2021.52.25_zps1bj9ggzu.png

mine is 2013, whether that makes a difference or not, but regardless of that £285 is all I have been asked for.

or re-evaluated since that date.

It does say £485 for 12 months, but I'm wondering if the latest BMT brings it below the threshold?

Now, I can't even go out and look at the tax disc because there isn't one!

Colin

I have a 180 4motion DSG. Tax is £285

Just checked, the BMT version is below the 226 threshold, so the tax is £285. I was getting a bit hot under the collar there!

Colin

All the sites I've just looked at, comcar, greencar, etc all quote it at green label K, which is £285, so perhaps I am not a tax dodger after all :)

I have a 180 dsg tax is £265 a year..

You've been demoted, you now have a 140 listed in your info. Therefore road tax has been reduced ;-)

(Same thing happened to me earlier)

Colin

There was quite a lot of confusion at DVLA when californias were first introduced, most ended up being registered as motor caravans & the emissions data ignored therefore the flat rate "van" tax was charged for vehicles under 3500kg. (the Beach was always registered as a car & paid the higher rates of tax)

In about 2012 there was a rule change & the emissions declared by VW were taken into account at which point the DSG 4motions rocketed from £225/year up to £485 hence the introduction of the blue motion stuff to get the emissions down. I would have thought that this may have an effect on resale values on the limited number that were registered in that period those vehicles will always be charged the higher rate.

Good to see the government keep their info up to date:rolleyes:

Sorry for the confusion guys!

The info is up to date, you have selected a 2010 model which had higher emissions the £485 is correct, a 2014 one is down to £285, hence my view that it may either affect used values in the future or some unsuspecting secondhand buyer will have a bit of a shock when they come to tax it.

Back