Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing weight

M

murphyrocks

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi

Can anyone help with the maximum towing weight for the VW California 680. 4 motion.
My licence allows me to tow 3500kg with a standard vehicle.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Can anyone help with the maximum towing weight for the VW California 680. 4 motion.

Thanks in advance
Should be in the Handbook for your vehicle.

The brochures online state 2000kg max trailer weight for the Cali 680. (Which is a bit surprising because my T5 can tow 2,500kg, but there you go.)

Note that it's perfectly legal to "down plate" a trailer to an appropriate weight for the towing vehicle - obviously provided you then only load it to within the re-plated max weight.

But can you tow 2500kg with the van loaded to the limit?
The GC towing limits still allow for the van to be loaded to 3.88tnne

On newer californias the limit has been reduced to 2300kg - presumably as the old weights meant you could only tow a 2500 trailer if you left the wife at home!

You don’t need to down plate the trailer these days it’s the actual weight that matters.

Hi

Thanks in advance
Most important is to check the Train Weight which is the combined van and trailer laden weights.

Max 680 weight is 3,880 Kg
Max 680 Train weight is 5,880 kg

That leaves a max trailer weight of 2,000 kg.
If a 3,500 kg trailer (or whatever trailer) on tow then the trailer base/tare weight would be deducted from the 2,000 kg leaving the payload/what can actually be loaded.

In the case of caravans then care would be needed as to how big could be towed.

Back