Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TPMS!

Famtrev

Famtrev

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I’m about to swap out my original 17” wheels for a set of 18” Supermetal Rig alloys on my 2023 Beach. My van has the standard (indirect) TPMS system (the one that uses the ABS system). When the wheels are swapped over I will need to swap over the TPMS valves and sensors. My questions are as follows:

1. Can I simply swap have the old sensors swapped over? Is it that simple . Do tyres just get inflated to correct pressure and the system reset ?

2. Could I avoid removing the sensors from the old tyres and fit a set of new indirect sensors. If so does anyone know where I might get a set of these sensors or what the OE part number is? Do them need to be OE?

3. Could I put direct sensors on? Does the van have the ability to read direct sensors without any further hardware. If so how is this unlocked / programmed. Incidentally I’m not planning to keep my old wheels and swap them out seasonally so would not be periodically swapping between systems.

I’ve tried to read up on this through this forum but it’s left me a little confused !

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be interested in the answers from well informed forum members, which I am definitely not. For what little it is worth, my understanding was that on indirect TPMS, the car uses data from the brakes/ABS to monitor how many revolutions each wheel is making. If one wheel is rotating more than the others, the car hypotheses that it has a puncture, reducing its circumference, and sounds a warning. Therefore changing the wheels would have no effect because the system is monitoring relative rotations across the four wheels. I suppose if one was 18” and the others were 17” it might make a difference, but even then only if the outside circumference of the wheels plus tyres differed.

Direct TPMS has sensors inside the wheels. I don’t know if it can be retrofitted.

But please don’t take my word for it.

I’m about to swap out my original 17” wheels for a set of 18” Supermetal Rig alloys on my 2023 Beach. My van has the standard (indirect) TPMS system (the one that uses the ABS system). When the wheels are swapped over I will need to swap over the TPMS valves and sensors. My questions are as follows:

1. Can I simply swap have the old sensors swapped over? Is it that simple . Do tyres just get inflated to correct pressure and the system reset ?

2. Could I avoid removing the sensors from the old tyres and fit a set of new indirect sensors. If so does anyone know where I might get a set of these sensors or what the OE part number is? Do them need to be OE?

3. Could I put direct sensors on? Does the van have the ability to read direct sensors without any further hardware. If so how is this unlocked / programmed. Incidentally I’m not planning to keep my old wheels and swap them out seasonally so would not be periodically swapping between systems.

I’ve tried to read up on this through this forum but it’s left me a little confused !

Thanks in advance

If you have the Indirect TPMS system then there are no sensors to swap. Just Reset the TPMS system via the MFD or whichever way you do it on the T6.1 to allow it to recalibrate to the 18” wheels and tyres.

Yes you can retrofit the Active TPMS system. That will require wheel sensors a wireless receiving and control module and fitting of same + some software adjustments.. VW won’t do it so it’s DIY or a 3rd party.
See the T6 forum on how to do it.

If you have the Indirect TPMS system then there are no sensors to swap. Just Reset the TPMS system via the MFD or whichever way you do it on the T6.1 to allow it to recalibrate to the 18” wheels and tyres.

Yes you can retrofit the Active TPMS system. That will require wheel sensors a wireless receiving and control module and fitting of same + some software adjustments.. VW won’t do it so it’s DIY or a 3rd party.

WG is correct and I have retro fitted it to my T6 Ocean. However T6.1 is on a newer electrical system, so the principe is exactly the same as the guide above, but you will need to ensure you have the correct TPMS ECU inc software and Senders for T6.1. T6.1 should be more straightforward as the system was an option, whereas T6 works because the Polo had it an option and they share an electrical system.

A

Thanks. Interesting. No sensors to worry about with the indirect system. So the wheels are just standard. I really do not need to worry about much at all. That’s music to my ears. I can happily deal with not having a fully detailed read out for my tyre pressures (although my car has this and I concede it has been periodically useful)

You could fit a cheap TPMS system which has the benefit of showing tyre pressures removing the need to manually check tyre pressures.

I have the TyrePal system which just has sensors that fit onto the standard valve, not very convenient to use as they need removing to inflate tyres and then refitting quickly to prevent tyre pressure loss. They do internal type ones but more expensive.

Chinese ones available (where just about everything is made now) that may be worth considering. They work alongside the basic VW system giving you more detailed data.

example

Back