Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TPMS sensor swap

nigpdreadingfc

nigpdreadingfc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi folks.
I am changing the wheels and tyres on my Cali Ocean. The wheels will remain 17"diameter, but the profile and width will be bigger.
The current wheels have direct pressure TPMS sensors. Can I swap these out and put them on the new set up without any problems?
TIA for your help
tpms20valve.png

Hi folks.
I am changing the wheels and tyres on my Cali Ocean. The wheels will remain 17"diameter, but the profile and width will be bigger.
The current wheels have direct pressure TPMS sensors. Can I swap these out and put them on the new set up without any problems?
TIA for your help
View attachment 113690
Yes. Direct TPMS only measures pressures. You'll have to reset the pressures after the changeover but other than that a straight swap.

Yes. Direct TPMS only measures pressures. You'll have to reset the pressures after the changeover but other than that a straight swap.
@WelshGas Thanks, that's good to know, thanks. I've been reading about possible complications about having to recode etc etc

@WelshGas Thanks, that's good to know, thanks. I've been reading about possible complications about having to recode etc etc
Not to my knowledge, possibly if you use new sensors. You also want to make sure that the removed wheel sensor goes back to the same position.
These systems are very common nowadays so I'm sure any reputable tyre company knows exactly what to do to avoid any problems.

Not to my knowledge, possibly if you use new sensors. You also want to make sure that the removed wheel sensor goes back to the same position.
These systems are very common nowadays so I'm sure any reputable tyre company knows exactly what to do to avoid any problems.
From my understanding the VW system re-learns the wheel location based on the signal strength and wheel rotation. The receiver is at the back of the van near the rear wheels, so it gets a much stronger signal from the rear sensors and then it uses the direction of rotation within the sensor to work out which side - it takes about 10 mins to relearn. Equally keeping the sensors as they are fitted now is the easiest way to ensure it works straight away. I think the re-learning allows for people that rotate their wheels front to back.

Back