Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tracker / Immobiliser

G

goapplecalifornia

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Buying a new ocean and have to get a tracker fitted - looking at the S5 but not sure if I should get an S5 with an immobiliser or not. Would this replace the factory fitted immobiliser?

Why? If your insurance is insisting on a tracker choose another company.

You cannot “remove” the factory immobiliser.

I fitted a Scorpion S5 no immobiliser to get the free VW insurance. Because it's an extra vehicle a new ins policy would have been expensive.

I didn't take the Scorpion S5 plus for following reasons:

- I didn't want an external device proactively deciding if the vehicle should start or not. Possible warranty issues

- the vehicle has an immobiliser

- if some thieves manage to get access to the vehicle on my drive and it won't start, maybe they'll break into the house and insist I hand over the Tracker

I fitted a Scorpion S5 no immobiliser to get the free VW insurance. Because it's an extra vehicle a new ins policy would have been expensive.

I didn't take the Scorpion S5 plus for following reasons:

- I didn't want an external device proactively deciding if the vehicle should start or not. Possible warranty issues

- the vehicle has an immobiliser

- if some thieves manage to get access to the vehicle on my drive and it won't start, maybe they'll break into the house and insist I hand over the Tracker
If they have access to the vehicle and can’t start it they must (and can only) have the key, so they already in your house then, no?

I’d also wonder how free an insurance is if you have to pay for a 450 quid tracker and then annual fees of 150 a year vs a good policy. We have our Tiguan and the Cali on a joint LV insurance and it’s <400 for us both.

I recently bought a motorcycle with the Scorpion S5 tracker fitted but not activated. They wanted £200 for activation. I rang the insurance company to see if it made a difference to the policy price and it made no difference at all. I decided not to get it activated.

I’d also wonder how free an insurance is if you have to pay for a 450 quid tracker and then annual fees of 150 a year vs a good policy. We have our Tiguan and the Cali on a joint LV insurance and it’s <400 for us both.
Agree with this. The other factor with the ‘free’ VW insurance is the charge to take it abroad, over £50 each time. Soon adds up. I didn’t take up the offer and stayed with my existing Comfort policy, much cheaper even before you factor in the annual tracker charge.

Back