Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best S5 tracker

mintyman

mintyman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
In preparation for the collection of my new ocean, i've started looking into insurance. The two best quotes i've received so far come from CamperGuard and Comfort - both of which will only provide cover if a listed tracker is installed. CamperGuard will accept an S7 model, but Comfort require an S5. From what I can tell, the S5 is more futureproof with only one provider stating S7 is acceptable - everyone else demands an S5. I've read that some people haven't required this. When I spoke to Comfort, they said that it is required due to the list price being over £75K (which I can understand).

I'm not one to change vehicles every 2-3 years, with the car I just sold owned for eight years. I've seen some trackers offer a lifetime subscription. In spite of an S5 working out to be quite expensive at ~£900 for lifetime, I estimate that it will pay for itself since the difference between these suppliers and other insurers who don't require a tracker is quite significant - at least £300 for one year.

So, does anyone have recommendations on an S5 tracker? Are there any VIP discounts available anywhere for forum members?

scorpion do a great one with a decent app.

I have the Meta Trak S5 Deadlock and Tracker fitted to my Ocean.
It's a nice bit of kit with a great phone interface that provides some useful journey information over and above the usual status and position data.
I had mine fitted by Ben at Secured Vehicle Solutions. He comes to you to fit it, so very convenient

I went for Scorpion with a 3 year subscription. No complaints and they seem to work!
On 2 occasions I’ve had an email from them asking for confirmation that all is well because they haven’t received any updates from the vehicle . This was due to it having been on my drive without having the ignition turned for a couple of weeks.

Scorpion with lifetime subscription.

All seems to work very well. App is good and installed by dealer which I felt more comfortable with.

In preparation for the collection of my new ocean, i've started looking into insurance. The two best quotes i've received so far come from CamperGuard and Comfort - both of which will only provide cover if a listed tracker is installed. CamperGuard will accept an S7 model, but Comfort require an S5. From what I can tell, the S5 is more futureproof with only one provider stating S7 is acceptable - everyone else demands an S5. I've read that some people haven't required this. When I spoke to Comfort, they said that it is required due to the list price being over £75K (which I can understand).

I'm not one to change vehicles every 2-3 years, with the car I just sold owned for eight years. I've seen some trackers offer a lifetime subscription. In spite of an S5 working out to be quite expensive at ~£900 for lifetime, I estimate that it will pay for itself since the difference between these suppliers and other insurers who don't require a tracker is quite significant - at least £300 for one year.

So, does anyone have recommendations on an S5 tracker? Are there any VIP discounts available anywhere for forum members?
When comparing Insurance quotes shouldn't you be comparing like with like?
Insurance + cost of Tracker + Subscription compared with Cost of Insurance + No Tracker requirement.

I have the Meta Trak S5 Deadlock and Tracker fitted to my Ocean.
It's a nice bit of kit with a great phone interface that provides some useful journey information over and above the usual status and position data.
I had mine fitted by Ben at Secured Vehicle Solutions. He comes to you to fit it, so very convenient
Same here for us (tho fitted through at home by Gold Command Ltd) - it’s easy to use because there’s no interaction needed and the tag is fairly small. App is straightforward, including putting it in ferry mode or service mode.

I know it works as I absentmindedly used a spare key once without the tag and got a call from the monitoring station before I’d driven more than 50 yards. Answered the security questions and they stood down the alert.

Scorpion S5plus with lifetime (5yrs plus) subscription. The service is good - called me twice when van was in a workshop, and disabled the van when AA guy disconnected the battery! Simple call to get back going.

We managed to get 10% discount on the device by calling them directly and talking to a sales rep and asking for their best price. We then got it fitted by a preferred installer in the Midlands - done in the drive.

When comparing Insurance quotes shouldn't you be comparing like with like?
Insurance + cost of Tracker + Subscription compared with Cost of Insurance + No Tracker requirement.
Of course, but a tracker won't pay for itself in one year

I have the Global Telemetrics Autowatch S7 with geofence, live tracking and the following items.
ATT1 or ATT1b S7/CAT6
Details here.

I know the local Autowatch certified guy in the Midlands, Lee, who fits and removes and refits.

I can purchase a lifetime subscription for £549
Highly reccomended.
They can fit it all, including a ghost version 2, which is my peace of mind.

Of course, but a tracker won't pay for itself in one year
Probably never will.
Love to know how many Californias were stolen, without keys, and recovered using a fitted Tracker?
Californias aren’t prone to joyriders but professionals who know exactly how to deal with any possible Tracker. Even so the number of Californias reported stolen are minimal .

Probably never will.
Love to know how many Californias were stolen, without keys, and recovered using a fitted Tracker?
Californias aren’t prone to joyriders but professionals who know exactly how to deal with any possible Tracker. Even so the number of Californias reported stolen are minimal .
My guess is zero for both.

Edit - after a hunt about I finally found the 2018 & 2019 theft numbers. A little out of date but shows the massive scale of our problem. A gigantic 9 Cali’s were stolen in 2019.

IMG_1509.jpeg

Last edited:
The VW California / T6 has still got a physical ignition key, which is a big differentiator amongst high end motors. Doubtful that the T7 will be so blessed. Also, in terms of either selling on, or breaking for parts, I’m guessing it’s not as easy as say a Range Rover, Merc or BMW. That all said, a Cali is a big investment, and everyone needs to make their own decision regards theft protection and recovery. I’m aware that even in relay thefts, expensive cars are often left at random locations for a few days to see if a tracker has been fitted, seeing if someone turns up searching, before then shipping the vehicle or taking it away to strip down. In this scenario, if a recovery can be made, it’s likely there’ll be no or minimal damage. I’d take that punt, so we fitted a tracker.