Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporter crazy

No_heroes

No_heroes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello everyone

Since the kids started coming a few years ago (and are still popping out - 3 under 3 ) I moved from a sequence of horrifically unreliable Range Rovers to a Caravelle DSG 204 4motion - loved it! Total revelation! Big, safe, comfortable, very capable and has been faultless! Perfect for a cheeky nap in the back too!

After a few stressful hotel holidays, we decided to get into caravanning which has been fantastic for the family. The Caravelle is an amazing tow car, and perfect for all the junk we seem to take everywhere.. After lots of You Tube-ing and holiday/weekend planning we have just recently got a new Cali Ocean 199 DSG 4motion for weekends and camping.. The forum has been super helpful so far, thank you all for your open discussion and great info!

Thank you!

Welcome allong , thats 5 in a Cali .
Does the 4motion still has the 5th seat as option ? Weight ?

Welcome here
...as far as I understood: you keep the Caravelle? So travel with 2 vans
Look forward to see some pictures.

It's a two-tone....:)

Factory fresh California!

The dealer was full of new vans so anyone waiting- it shouldn’t be long now!

56D771D5-D17B-4BC0-AC6E-A3D20CDA1AA2.jpeg

B1EB8040-B3D7-4611-968C-F19935D49869.jpeg

E32594A8-AC7E-491D-8AB5-1452FB6F7532.jpeg

horrifically unreliable Range Rovers
I’ve been fancying a RR, are they really that bad? Do I need one as well as a Cali?

Congratulations, and enjoy your new Cali! :thumb

I’ve been fancying a RR, are they really that bad? Do I need one as well as a Cali?

Congratulations, and enjoy your new Cali! :thumb

People get quite emotional about these things but my opinion based on my experiences are that I wouldn’t go near anything from the current JLR range.

I have always been into Land Rover but I think the defender and the discovery 4 were their peak engineering and quality. Maybe I’m just getting old!!

I had two ‘from new’ SDV8 autobiography range rovers. Both followed the same path. On purchase - a load of quality and electronic issues. Then a regular monthly call out to Land Rover recovery for random reasons from differential problems to electronic issues. Then within 18 months a massive mechanical failure on the electric system, engine or gearbox. Resulting in me losing confidence and getting rid of the vehicle.

They are beautifully designed and they have nailed the styling, but they are awful to live with and own. They have sacrificed quality and ‘solidness’ for weight reduction . If I had to have a Range Rover, I would go with the previous generation L322.

I also hate the trend of massive wheels on cars- 21s/22s etc. Tiny side walls and wide tyres effectively mean the vehicle is useless off-road and the ride is hard. The wheels are exposed to kerbing and damage.

The Range Rover brand is massively diluted. Land Rover have lost their way somewhat in my opinion. Whilst they are maybe exporting many vehicles- which is great for UK PLC, I feel they have lost the focus on quality and robustness.

A VW transporter platform (caravelle or California) 4motion DSG with all the bells and whistles IMO beats a Range Rover everyday!

A VW transporter platform (caravelle or California) 4motion DSG with all the bells and whistles IMO beats a Range Rover everyday!
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I always suspected that, yet am still drawn to the Land Rover brand for some reason. It wasn’t always that way, I used to hate them! I don’t think that are selling that well now, what a shame for Britain (or India).

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I always suspected that, yet am still drawn to the Land Rover brand for some reason. It wasn’t always that way, I used to hate them! I don’t think that are selling that well now, what a shame for Britain (or India).

The brand is super strong. Sometimes I catch myself looking and thinking I would have another, then I catch myself! Oi... NOOO! o_O