Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporter HQ LED headlamps T6.1

Benh76

Benh76

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Just wanted to share with you my experience of fitting the Transporter HQ LED headlamps for a T6.1. Fitting time was approximately 90 mins from start to finish so not to bad at all. Everything lined up correctly.

Before

4444E441-5BAE-4D99-9361-AACC553C5A40.jpeg

81256A11-2F9F-43C1-9D67-F931EC2D6663.jpeg

Very nice :thumb we’re they very expensive?

I opted for the LED bulbs so we’re about 650. You can pay another 100 for them to fit but it’s not a bad job if you have the tools
Ouch! Praps I’ll stick to daytime driving for the mo :D

Thanks @Benh76
This is something I am interested in on my cali.
Have spoken with them and now its all about timing. Nice to see your sharing.

As far as I can ascertain to be road legal LED lights must be self levelling. Numerous problems with oncoming drivers being blinded has brought this to Police and DVSA attention.
It is also illegal to fit LED bulbs in Headlights designed for Halogen bulbs.

Air suspension if auto levelling makes it legal.

Headlight suppliers usually have a disclaimer for fitment of LED bulbs stating only for off road use as not road legal.

These headlamps can be adjusted at each corner to get the right level and beam distribution which I appreciate doesn't meet the requirement. But it does make a legal beam pattern achievable.
The headlamps are not altered to fit LED's which is also what the regs say you can't do. So this is perhaps being very literal in terms of what the law is trying to achieve but I wouldn't have any qualms about that bit, so long as the headlight aim/beam is right the purpose built projector lenses do a good job.
So now,
- As long as the headlamp aim achieved is equivalent to legal non self levelling Halogen bulbs.
- The headlamps not altered
My head says they are doing as job as good (in terms of oncoming traffic safety and driver vision) as factory options. Who thinks H4's are better?
I hope i'm not missing the point here because as always we must be protected from complete and selfish idiots and this law was bought in due to the negligent levels of such people who are happy to dazzle and blind other drivers.
I think these lights trying to provide a safe, cheap solution to better the vision, safety and styling for those who don't have £1500 upwards. You could argue it manages some of the idiots who might be able to get their hands on these instead.
Then if worse comes to worse you can reinstall halogen bulbs for dipped/main beam and everything is legal as I understand it.

This is only based on my opinion and shame on VW for the hideous cost of upgrading which in 2017 was indeed circa £1500. I'm not even suggesting the law should be relaxed but like with most things in life treated with respect. Many laws/regulations are not adhered to daily and people don't even realise what they are doing with no harm done to anyone.

Last edited:
These headlamps can be adjusted at each corner to get the right level and beam distribution which I appreciate doesn't meet the requirement. But it does make a legal beam pattern achievable.
The headlamps are not altered to fit LED's which is also what the regs say you can't do. So this is perhaps being very literal in terms of what the law is trying to achieve but I wouldn't have any qualms about that bit, so long as the headlight aim/beam is right the purpose built projector lenses do a good job.
So now,
- As long as the headlamp aim achieved is equivalent to legal non self levelling Halogen bulbs.
- The headlamps not altered
My head says they are doing as job as good (in terms of oncoming traffic safety and driver vision) as factory options.
I hope I not missing the point here because as always we must be protected from complete and selfish idiots and this law was bought in due to the negligent levels of such people who are happy to dazzle and blind other drivers.
I think these lights trying to provide a safe, cheap solution to better the vision, safety and styling for those who don't have £1500 upwards. You could argue it manages some of the idiots who might be able to get their hands on these instead.
Then if worse comes to worse you can reinstall halogen bulbs for dipped/main beam and everything is legal as I understand it.

This is only based on my opinion and shame on VW for ridiculous for the hideous cost of upgrading which in 2017 was indeed circa £1500

Ours work well and we have never been flashed in the UK or France (beam deflectors fitted) by other motorists despite the new units being a lot brighter . In the past we always got flashed in France with the original weak VW Headlights (with beam deflectors fitted), which would suggest that the upgraded units a more uniform beam pattern.

Also passed UK MOT with no issues. If it failed it’s very easy to switch the main beam bulbs to conventional bulbs.

Problem experienced with LED lights was at a junction where the min road had a bump sending the beam skywards giving the impression that it was flashing the driver that it was OK to pull out. Quite a lot of horn blasting and tyre screeching ensues.
That's what auto levelling can prevent.

@Wesel I only have Halogen H7 bulbs on factory fitted headlamps.

@B J G Maybe, auto levelling is there for good reason. Some people refuse to return to dipped headlights and drive around on main beam. I'm starting to feel it's getting pedantic so this will be my last reply on the subject but....
a) flashing people is to warn them you are there and is not supposed to be the friendly gesture to let people out so there is more than one fault when that happens.
Rule 110. Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.
I've only copied and pasted that from a search result (not the Highway Code itself) but it's what I remember.
As mentioned in my previous post people are flashing for any other reason than a warning 'I am here" are breaking that rule with good intentions. If your example came to court tough luck on the driver who thought he was being flashed out.

b) I have seen new cars with factory fitted LED's dazzle me over bumps too. It's all very quickly over with though, it's only a bump.

We need to either live and let live or do everything by the book. Nobody has their house completely in order. Either way problems will exist and by the book means expensive problems.
Next time you have an electrician or scaffolder for example working on your property you will need very deep pockets to ensure they don't break any rules. They may be qualified, they may look safe, and for all intents and purposes they will likely be safe and do a safe job if from reputable companies. But keep on digging to the get letter of the law imposed with every t crossed and i dotted and the customer will pay extortionate amounts. Most likely the company will just say...go find someone else to do your work.

Last edited:
The self levelling is also to adjust for the varying loads in the vehicle, particularly heavy loads in the boot as these will cause the front of the vehicle to lift. So you may well have the headlamps adjusted perfectly now, but as soon as you load or unload the van that adjustment will become incorrect.

But if a joke VW are still charging for LED lights when nigh on every manufacturer they come as standard now... Even a 2014 Seat Leon near base model used to come with them as standard.

To charge near £2K is pulling pants down business. They aren't even Matrix enabled...so far behind in technology but asking top £££ for them. VW all over.

82DB0B22-F712-4040-A68D-50B2CC0A5B7F.jpeg
Website states the LED bulbs are for ‘Off-Road Use Only’. Probably worth checking if they will invalidate the insurance in the event of an accident.

View attachment 102772
Website states the LED bulbs are for ‘Off-Road Use Only’. Probably worth checking if they will invalidate the insurance in the event of an accident.
Presumably the supplier and purchaser could be sued/prosecuted for aiding and abetting/the killing of innocent motorist and their passengers when they get blinded by these foul things and crash, probably.

Presumably the supplier and purchaser could be sued/prosecuted for aiding and abetting/the killing of innocent motorist and their passengers when they get blinded by these foul things and crash, probably.
I don't think it would invalidate your insurance unless it was proved that you dazzled someone & that was the cause of the accident, or the headlight was the source of ignition in a vehicle fire.

However I would expect your insurers to refuse to replace the headlights if they were damaged in the event of an accident.

I don't think it would invalidate your insurance unless it was proved that you dazzled someone & that was the cause of the accident, or the headlight was the source of ignition in a vehicle fire.

However I would expect your insurers to refuse to replace the headlights if they were damaged in the event of an accident.
Headlight change would be a notifiable modification that would be included in the cover if accepted.
There is the gray area of having to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy and legal condition.