Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporting 4 bikes and inflatable sup secure

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Currently we use a Thule 929 bike holder to transport 4 bikes on vacation. I would like to transport an inflatable sup as well, preferably not inside.
I am now considering buying the Thule Wandeway 2 with two extra bike adapters (700€).
The idea is to mount the four bikes on the Wanderway and use the hitch carrier for a large alumiunium box to stor the inflatable sup and other stuff.
I guess the other way is impossible?
Our roof on our Beach currently has two solar panels mounted so is close to its weight limit when lifted.

Put the inflated SUP on the roof.

You can get uprated struts that will keep the roof up with 50kg load. (Older Cali handbooks state 50kgs is acceptable, roof design remains unchanged for current models.)

That was a nice idea. What is the difference to the original parts?

You can get uprated struts that will keep the roof up with 50kg load. (Older Cali handbooks state 50kgs is acceptable, roof design remains unchanged for current models.)

Have you fitted these yet? Interested to see how they work without weigh on top.

Same here, at least two panels. If I can mount our old wingbars flush I will most likely have them permanently mounted as well.

We carry five bikes (four on the back, one on the roof) and then put either two inflatable kayaks or one inflatable kayak and an inflatable SUP in a roof box along with the paddles. I take the load off the roof before raising it though.

We carry five bikes (four on the back, one on the roof) and then put either two inflatable kayaks or one inflatable kayak and an inflatable SUP in a roof box along with the paddles. I take the load off the roof before raising it though.
How do you find getting bikes off the roof - do you need or use a step or ladder? Thinking about this as an alternative to a rear rack as I’ve got some new flush mount wingbars kicking around that I need to fit.

Struts arrived my mail today. Interesting to see how to mount them.

I wrote about my experience of fitting the gas struts here

Back