Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporting bikes

Having initially had the VW rack and not really getting on with it I changed to a tow bar mounted atera strada DL3. Hugely glad that I did.

VW rack pros: looks good, able to park over low height walls.
Cons: cost, Height (couldn't reach to lock bikes on without a hailo two step, recommended not to lift tailgate with bikes on (which defeats the whole purpose for me). Having to leave it on all the time as the yellowing of the protective plastic is unsightly.

Atera Strada DL3 pros: easy to fit and remove. Easy to load bikes on and off, easy to open and close tailgate, unobstructed rear view.

Cons: combined cost of tow bar and bike carrier.

Having completed a 2500 mile trip over the summer with the Atera Strada DL3 I and no issues whatsoever I can fully recommend it. It's rock solid on the tow bar and the bikes can be locked to it when left off the vehicle while on site.

+1 for the Atera Strada. We also find ours useful to store and lock bikes while on site and at home. Very easy and quick to fit

There seems to be a lot of love for the Atera Strada. I have one which we use on our Passat, but have just bought a Cali and can't decide whether to get a tow bar fitted and use the Atera, or go with the official VW tailgate rack. Its about the same cost either way.

I feel like sticking with the Atera is the right thing to do, but i'm a little nervous about letting someone fit a tow bar, the dealer wanted a ridiculous amount, and the local guys who fitted out Passat are much more reasonable, but i'm just feeling a bit protective over the new van right now :)

I had the Atera for the car before we got the Cali but switched to the VW rack with the Cali. The Atera was fine though Ithought the arms and bike attachments were bulky and awkward. For me the VW rack is much better...the arms and attachments are much easier to use. I think the height of the VW rack is great ...very useful overhang for parking over low walls/fences. Sure you do need to be able to hoist your bikes up to the height. Both good systems but for me, given the cost and hassle of a retrofit towbar, I'd say the VW rack is the better option.

I am looking at the BUZZ RACK Buffalo 4 bike tow ball mounted unit. It is very good value compared with the Atera / Thule solutions £159.00, its simple, neat and small enough to store in the van, and allows you to lock everything to the van - it needs a lighting board but all in all seems a good option - has anyone used on of these ?

There seems to be a lot of love for the Atera Strada. I have one which we use on our Passat, but have just bought a Cali and can't decide whether to get a tow bar fitted and use the Atera, or go with the official VW tailgate rack. Its about the same cost either way.

I feel like sticking with the Atera is the right thing to do, but i'm a little nervous about letting someone fit a tow bar, the dealer wanted a ridiculous amount, and the local guys who fitted out Passat are much more reasonable, but i'm just feeling a bit protective over the new van right now :)
I sort of had the same feelings too. On my Berlingo, I had a tow bar fitted and used a Thule carrier. Worked just fine; however, we have the fitted VW bike rack and what I like most of all, it's always there! No regrets choosing this option.

Have you tried Britannia Tow Bars in St Philips http://www.britanniabristol.co.uk/ They are a Westfalia agent and gave me a very good price for fitting a removable one. They fitted one on my Golf which was excellent, unfortunately it couldn't be moved to the Cali. Simon

I am looking at the BUZZ RACK Buffalo 4 bike tow ball mounted unit. It is very good value compared with the Atera / Thule solutions £159.00, its simple, neat and small enough to store in the van, and allows you to lock everything to the van - it needs a lighting board but all in all seems a good option - has anyone used on of these ?
No personal experience of the Buzz Rack but I have used a MaxxRaxx in the past and this looks similar. Downside of this compared to the Atera/Thule IMO is that the bikes are more likely to move during transportation, possibly causing some rubbing. The Atera Strada (and similar) including the VW rack all secure the bike wheels in channel which prevents any movement, vital if you treasure your bike

Have you tried Britannia Tow Bars in St Philips http://www.britanniabristol.co.uk/ They are a Westfalia agent and gave me a very good price for fitting a removable one. They fitted one on my Golf which was excellent, unfortunately it couldn't be moved to the Cali. Simon

Thanks Simon,
I just spoke to them, slightly more expensive than the fitters i used before, but they say they do a lot of work for Heritage VW Commercial just down the road from them and have fitted a lot of tow bars to T5 vans and Cali's which gives me some reassurance.

I have looked at tow bar bike racks for Calis, and only found a couple that clear the tailgate on a T5/6
The Altera Strada DL3 is one, and the Thule Euro Classic 928 or 929 is the other.

I don't think any other models do, but am happy to be corrected.

Alan

I have looked at tow bar bike racks for Calis, and only found a couple that clear the tailgate on a T5/6
The Altera Strada DL3 is one, and the Thule Euro Classic 928 or 929 is the other.

I don't think any other models do, but am happy to be corrected.

Alan
The Buzzrack Buffalo 4 swings away from the tail gate too

Have you confirmed that it clears the California rear tailgate?
There are a number of Tow Bar racks that fold down, but as the previous poster mentioned very few will clear the California Tailgate.

I'll be using a two bar mounted rack because:

a) I already own it
b) I'll have two kayaks on the roof
:D

I didn't see that model when I was looking. May not have been available then.

Alan

Have you confirmed that it clears the California rear tailgate?
There are a number of Tow Bar racks that fold down, but as the previous poster mentioned very few will clear the California Tailgate.
will have one v soon and will report back - i like the idea of keeping it in the boot and it not taking up much space.

Would anyone have tried a Thule Euroway G2 920 bike carrier on a T6 towbar. I happen to have one and wonder if it will tilt enough to clear the tailgate. It cleared my VW Golf tailgate but it is clearly in doubt whether it will clear the T6 reading the above comments. Any advice appreciated.

will have one v soon and will report back - i like the idea of keeping it in the boot and it not taking up much space.
Cali Fate, did you ever buy the Buzz Rack. keen to read experiences from members with racks other than the Atera. Need access to boot but want to be able to store rack easily when on campsite.

After a lot of research I went for an Uebler X-21 as I wanted one that I can easily store in the boot without taking up all the space. It has won lots of tests, it's light, it folds small enough to fit under the rear shelf when not in use and takes 60kg which is perfect for our 2 e-mountain bikes. It does require a little modding to allow it to tilt back far enough to clear the tailgate. Very wide handlebars sometimes need to be rotated if the ground slopes up behind the van. Very pleased with it. I paid £380 last year from a Ford dealer on EB as it's a standard accessory. Can get them ready modded from T5 parts shop on mainland EU. Seb

Uebler_x21s.jpg

Towbar bike racks enable the fitting of the rear Sportline spoiler, My T5 had no tow bar, so I spec'd one on the T6 and fitted my spoiler which looks great, I know a lot on here aren't into modding the Cali but if you are then great, plus I can pull a trailer, bonus.

Towbar bike racks enable the fitting of the rear Sportline spoiler, My T5 had no tow bar, so I spec'd one on the T6 and fitted my spoiler which looks great, I know a lot on here aren't into modding the Cali but if you are then great, plus I can pull a trailer, bonus.
I did that & still trying to find a cost effective towbar rack.

I did that & still trying to find a cost effective towbar rack.
By cost effective do you mean cheap :Iamsorry we have the Atera strada DL3, my mate has the same on his Cali does everything it says on the tin, well box. we are both going to Tuscany in June with confidence.

Had previously made the mistake of prepurchasing 2 Thule racks, one to keep in France for bikes over there, and one here in UK. I also previously had a 3 bike one in France and as only 2 bikes to carry I was replacing that one.
I've now sold the 3 bike one plus the one here (at a loss obviously and a bit of ear ache) so the kitty has been partly filed up for an Atera. The decision now is whether to buy an Atera now and take it over to France and then bring the one there back for sale or see how I get on with the one France on the summer trips. I've no intention to take the rack to and fro.
Decisions - decisions. Got about a week to decide for this season.

I like the Atera, and quick delivery from the roof box company to boot.